Sign in to follow this  
redshakh

PES 2020

Anyone else want to admit being a massive kid and playing footie games on the xbox? No? Me neither.

if this changes, and you like to play PES let me know :)

No, but I'll admit to having had my "letter to Santa" asking for a Neo Geo Mini answered and spending Christmas and New Year reliving my youth playing SNK arcade games like Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury Special and Ghost Pilots. Happy times 😃

• Upvote 1

I've got FIFA17 on the PS3 if that's any good? I had an xbox for a bit but it packed up after I'd used it about four times :thumbsdown_anim:

I assume we're all agreed the best football game of all time is Emlyn Hughes International Soccer? (spectrum version)

9 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I assume we're all agreed the best football game of all time is Emlyn Hughes International Soccer? (spectrum version)

Whilst I take my hat off to your retro football game knowledge, you assume incorrectly! I've played a fair few 8, 16 and 32 bit football games in my time and in terms of how playable and impactful the game was for it's time I'd say without hesitation that the best football game of all time is International Superstar Soccer on the Super Nintendo.

Released by Konami in 1995, this game was the forerunner of PES. It was the first game to combine a realistic football simulation with life like (at least for the time) graphics, with teams all having the same kit as their real life counterparts as some teams having players who bore more than a passing resemblance to well known footballers of the time (I recall it had lookalikes of Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard, Martin Dahlin and Gabriel Batistuta to name but  a few). It was the first game to feature actual crowd chanting and animations such as players rolling about the floor in agony after a tackle or players remonstrating with the ref after being booked. These all combined to make the game the next best thing to actually watching a match. We'd sometimes get a few us together for a knockout tournament and it was like bringing the World Cup to your living room. I can't stress enough what a groundbreaking game this was at the time.

Sensible world of soccer and CM 01 02. 

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I've spent at least a year of my life playing these

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Savo said:

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I've spent at least a year of my life playing these

This man knows his stuff. 

Also Kick Off on the game boy. Shit game but so addictive. 

1 hour ago, H-Block said:

Whilst I take my hat off to your retro football game knowledge, you assume incorrectly! I've played a fair few 8, 16 and 32 bit football games in my time and in terms of how playable and impactful the game was for it's time I'd say without hesitation that the best football game of all time is International Superstar Soccer on the Super Nintendo.

Released by Konami in 1995, this game was the forerunner of PES. It was the first game to combine a realistic football simulation with life like (at least for the time) graphics, with teams all having the same kit as their real life counterparts as some teams having players who bore more than a passing resemblance to well known footballers of the time (I recall it had lookalikes of Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard, Martin Dahlin and Gabriel Batistuta to name but  a few). It was the first game to feature actual crowd chanting and animations such as players rolling about the floor in agony after a tackle or players remonstrating with the ref after being booked. These all combined to make the game the next best thing to actually watching a match. We'd sometimes get a few us together for a knockout tournament and it was like bringing the World Cup to your living room. I can't stress enough what a groundbreaking game this was at the time.

That game was brilliant as was ISS 64 on the Nintendo64

To be fair I know nothing about Nintendo. My knowledge starts with Football Manager on the ZX81 and goes through the Spectrum, Commodore 64, slight deviations to the BBC, Dragon(!), and Amstrad, then Atari ST, and finishes at Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga. Then a two deacde gap where I have no idea what went on until FIFA 12(?) on the PS3.

1 hour ago, Savo said:

I was listening to Quickly Kevin the 90s football podcast and one of the presenters who isn't Josh Widdecombe casually mentioned he "took a year out" to play Championship Manager. When questioned he revealed his parents thought he was at college but he waited for them to go to work, then his mates came round, and they played Champ Manager all day. Every day for a year. "the best year of my life" :laughingsmiley:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Savo said:

Both immersive in their own way. CM01/02 is the pinnacle of football management games for me. It struck just the right balance between detail and accessibility. For me these games lost their way a bit once they became "Football Manager" and gradually added more and more options and things to deal with before you can actually play a game. The features all sound great and clearly add to the realism of the games, but it gets to the stage where playing the "game" feels more like a chore, almost like having a part time job to log into after you finish your 9 to 5.

I'm not the first person to say this but if they brought out the CM01/02 match engine with today's teams, players and league structure it would be  a Football Manager beater.

SWOS was novel for it's time by combining an action style football game with wafer thin management options like being able to make transfer bids. You could start with an ordinary or lower league team and gradually add more decent players until after a few seasons you were World beaters. I remember starting with Flora Tallinn of Estonia (don't ask me why, I'm not quite sure either) and after about ten seasons my Estonian journeymen had been replaced with David Seaman, Paolo Maldini, Hagi, Romario, Ronaldo, (all World class players at the time) and I was winning Champions League titles. It was fun at the time!

19 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

To be fair I know nothing about Nintendo. My knowledge starts with Football Manager on the ZX81 and goes through the Spectrum, Commodore 64,

You are a decorated veteran, Sir, and I salute you. When I had a Commodore 64 a mate lent me Football Manager 2 (admittedly a  good few years after it was first released) and my overriding memory is signing Gary Lineker but before he was famous. I thought I'd pulled off the transfer of the decade but I don't think he scored a single goal for me. 😟

I'm starting to realise I know far too much about football computer and video games for my own good. 😟

Edited by H-Block

I had Championship Manager 93 on the Amiga. The Forest squad was terrible - I had Gary Bannister and Jason Kaminsky up front and Stuart Pearce would always announce his retirement after the first season :thumbsdown_anim:

The game I played most was Player Manager on the Amiga - kick off style game play but you would control just one player with the rest computer controlled each with their own unique attributes. You could design your own tactics and buy and sell players.

Your player would start out at 29 and as he got older his attributes would change accordingly. Normally I'd stop when he got to about 45 but one time I kept going to see what happened when he got stupidly old. I played up to 99 (pace 1, stamina 1, strength 1 etc) hoping he'd reset at 0 the next year and build his way up again. Sadly not and eventually I retired as what I'm assuming is the World's first 101 year old top flight midfielder :cool:

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Haha 1

The first football game i had was Footballer Of The Year on the Speccy. Played that loads. It was a little different because most football games you are a manager but this one you were a player. If you played well you would get offers from better clubs, if you were shit you would just get relegated. The graphics were appalling of course, i think the best you could do was move the football along the base of the screen and press fire while angling your joystick to a corner of the goal at the top of the screen but i still loved it. I still have my Speccy and Amiga somewhere. Might have to see if they still work 🙂

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, redshakh said:

Kevin Keegan Player Manager of the SNES was decent too.

Yeah, I had that one too come to think of it. At one point it was the only football management game you could get for consoles. I liked the way you could either "reward" the players with a day off or "punish" them with hard training. Have to say I tended to punish mine!

Kevin Keegan's Player Manager was a kind of mythical game on the Amiga that was rumoured to be a sequal to Player Manager but nobody could ever actually get hold of a copy. Some people claimed to have seen it, knew someone who had it, read a review etc but I'm sure it never actually existed.

Obviously Player Manager on the Amiga was one of the all time greats. When Dino Dini (Kick Off and Player Manager creator) split with Anco he went on to do Goal, which was what Kick Off 3 should have been while Anco released the actual Kick Off 3 (which was rubbish) and then Player Manager 2 (also rubbish).

I think Kevin Keegan must have been an alternative name for a version of Player Manager 2 which came later on SNES and it got confused with Goal and Player Manager 2 on the Amiga and the myth of Dini Dini's alternative sequal grew. We must have spent hours trying to track that down....

On 1/10/2020 at 8:39 AM, Random Task said:

The first football game i had was Footballer Of The Year on the Speccy. Played that loads. It was a little different because most football games you are a manager but this one you were a player. If you played well you would get offers from better clubs, if you were shit you would just get relegated. The graphics were appalling of course, i think the best you could do was move the football along the base of the screen and press fire while angling your joystick to a corner of the goal at the top of the screen but i still loved it. I still have my Speccy and Amiga somewhere. Might have to see if they still work 🙂

I had FOTY, that was one of the few games I actually had a proper bought version of and It came in a slightly odd shaped box that didn't quite fit in my tape rack. I remember the best thing about it being how the results would come in like the vidiprinter on Grandstand :cool2:

I bet the Spectrum will still work. They last for ever.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Obviously Player Manager on the Amiga was one of the all time greats. When Dino Dini (Kick Off and Player Manager creator) split with Anco he went on to do Goal, which was what Kick Off 3 should have been while Anco released the actual Kick Off 3 (which was rubbish) and then Player Manager 2 (also rubbish).

Great history lesson by Art. Even though I was playing video games quite avidly by this point Goal seems to have completely passed me by. Although in a sense I'm actually quite relived we've found one I haven't played! I looked up an online review to see what I'd missed out on and in that review found a reference to a game called World Cup Carnival for the 8-bit computers. It was the official game of World Cup 1986 and came with a free World Cup wall chart (!), but apparently those are about the only good things you can say about it. Here's a link to an Interesting article on the game: https://retronauts.com/article/889/the-world-cup-game-that-became-a-nightmare

Has anyone played this? Was it really that bad?

Come to think of it, for some reason in my time the official World Cup games were always a bit shit. I had World Cup Italia 90 on the Megadrive and it was crap even by the standards of the time. The players looked like they'd been ripped out of a table football set and "ran" with all the pace of an arthritic sloth walking through a swamp of treacle. Attempting anything approaching a passing game was virtually impossible and you can only really score by lumping a long ball up front and having your centre forward head the ball past the keeper.

Also, despite being the official World Cup game the 24 playable teams didn't reflect the teams who'd actually qualified for World Cup 90. Eg, Algeria, Hungary and Poland were in the game but Cameroon, Ireland and Romania weren't! Talk about taking the piss!

I gather these days the official World Cup game is a downloadable add-on for FIFA? I guess that probably works better than having to take a punt on the likes of World Cup Carnival?

Edited by H-Block

Goal was good, it was just too long coming out after Kick Off 2. By then everyone had already moved on to Sensible Soccer. If it had come out before, or even closer to, Sensible it would have been much more popular.

I don't remember World Cup Carnival at all. Kick Off 2 had a tournament version that was the exact teams and format of Italia 90 but I remember a few others just took a guess. One of them had Oman as one of the Asian sides. Even if you had to guess who'd be there, why would you go with Oman?!

I see Canival was a US Gold game. I remember having few US Gold compilations, but they'd chosen not to include it on any of them m1705.gif

I had one football game on the ZX spectrum that would always fail to load. You would listen to that annoying sound from the cassette recorder for 10 minutes only to get a load fail. it actually loaded once and was so complicated I lost about 10 nil and never played again. After that I placed Fifa I cant remember what one maybe Fifa 90? on the original playstation which was good. I played all the recent Fifa games with my son on his PS4 and I must say they are rubbish - all these silly tricks and over head kicks - pony!

The best sports game I ever played was Super Punch Out in the arcade with Super Macho Man, Bear Hugger, Dragon Chan etc

I remember going to Bembom Brothers in Margate and fucking the rides off and spending all days playing that

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, E R said:

The best sports game I ever played was Super Punch Out in the arcade with Super Macho Man, Bear Hugger, Dragon Chan etc

You've just reminded me, mate, I had a good laugh playing this one in the arcade at Cleethorpes. Unfortunately Dragon Chan would always do me with that flying kick. I later had it on the Commodore 64 where it was called Frank Bruno's World Championship boxing, but the opponent boxer names were changed, eg, Bear Hugger was now "Canadian Crusher". Unfortunately there was some problem with my version of the game and the second match would never load, meaning I never did get my re-match with Dragon Chan.

As you've highlighted, dodgy tapes or poorly aligned tape decks would often cause games to fail to load on the 8-bit computers, which was something of a pain in the arse and ultimately drove me to exchange my C64 for a Sega Megadrive.

I must say, this thread has unearthed many happy childhood memories 😀

There wasn't a more upsetting sight as a child than the dreaded "R Tape loading Error" :(

IKS would have experienced similar emotions if his stick snapped while he was rolling his hoop.......

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, i.k.s said:

I was more of a subbuteo kid myself. 

Ah good times playing Subbuteo at "lunch periods" (well Free periods lasting hours) in the Sixth Form. It got very competitive! Even painted our own team colours. 

13 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

There wasn't a more upsetting sight as a child than the dreaded "R Tape loading Error" :(....

One worse than that was the dreaded crash back to the beginning after attempting to load "Manic Miner 2049er" . Twenty minutes wasted. Or having to adjust the sound settings on the cassette player to have the right volume for a Spectrum 48K game to load correctly. 

Whilst your talking about the Football games no one has mentioned International Soccer for the C64. Blocky as hell, but loaded near instantly and simplistic gameplay was excellent.  Also the Binatone TV Football(Pong :D) now that was addictive ;) 

On 1/9/2020 at 7:17 PM, Savo said:

Heh!  I can remember we used to play CM 01/02 in work, believe it or not. Those were the day.  Was a big room and all the lads would be running Champ Man (very slowly) is in the background flicking screens. those were the bloody days.

Used to try and get the lads playing the big teams like Real to sign Marlon Harwood and they'd take the piss no end!  Happy days.

Kick Off 2 on the Amiga 500 was always my fave. I had a PS4 bought for me a few Christmas' back that came bundled with FIFA with Ronaldo on the cover. My mates would come back after the pub and they'd wonder what the fuck I was playing at sticking something as basic as KO2 on whilst FIFA sat there still in the cellophane! 

• Haha 1

I used to like the idea of Subbuteo. I imagined getting different teams in the proper kits, and slowly building up a whole stadium with stands and all the extras, the dugout, little figures for the manager and the crowd etc. Then I played it and discovered it was actually a bit crap so I didn't bother.