Sign in to follow this  
Dane B

Blackburn v Forest

Good point that. A game we would have got nothing from in the past 

Ameobi playing centrally didnt work 

For all the shit he was getting on here, game swung in Rovers favour when Sow came off 

Ribero wide didnt work 

Are people really moaning that much then? My only views was having Amoeobi play in the middle and having a left back in Ribero playing left wing neither of which worked. And then when we were clearly happy to take the draw he brings on Carvalho and Silva and takes off Sow and Ribero both who could help out in defence

we got the draw which is good but we had no real attacking flair all night so seems strange to them bring them in for the last 10 minutes 

But I would have taken a point before 

Plenty of moaners on other forums Jamie .  Given the massive changes in playing personnel , management etc this season I personally doubt that we'll see us at our best until Christmas at the earliest .. So , these early season results are very encouraging .

I am also looking forward to see what the likes of Chema and Bostock will do when they get a chance as we must have signed them for a reason 

Anyone else not concerned that virtually every game we are not the better side

While the results are encouraging the displays have me worried it could all turn around very quickly.

My own thoughts are, we have signed another raft of average players, no better or worse than the multitude over the past decade, but the man at the helm can get much more out of the journeymen at his disposal. 

Give him some quality in January and a loan or two and we can get results while turning teams over with exciting displays at the same. Just got to be in the mix by Christmas.

I do agree - the only team I thought we were quite a lot better than was stoke and even that was close at the end. But there is a lot of steel in the team now 

Lamouche does seem to be able to get a bit more out of the players as the core of the team was here before he was

When I look at the team I do struggle to recognise any real stand out players. Grabban has been a lot better this season I guess and Amoebi has done quite well 

Dawson has been brilliant and I think Worrall has done really well

12 hours ago, legs_akimbo said:

Anyone else not concerned that virtually every game we are not the better side

While the results are encouraging the displays have me worried it could all turn around very quickly.

My own thoughts are, we have signed another raft of average players, no better or worse than the multitude over the past decade, but the man at the helm can get much more out of the journeymen at his disposal. 

Give him some quality in January and a loan or two and we can get results while turning teams over with exciting displays at the same. Just got to be in the mix by Christmas.

Agreed. It has a lot of the 'Pearce 2014' about it for me. Edging our way through games without necessarily showing a lot of quality. I remember that season beating Bournemouth away 2-1 early on where we were absolutely battered for 90 mins but the victory took us top. I remember folk on here completely ignoring the performance and focussing solely on the league table giving it the old 'good teams win when not playing well' line. I think they went up that year and we struggled to stay up...

Sooner or later the breaks don't go your way and you're on a bad run if you're not careful. 

There's a fine line between winning when not playing well (I.e a good side) and fluking a run of results (a lucky side). I still haven't seen enough from the 5 games I've seen that suggest we're good enough to put in a challenge for promotion. There's a country mile between us and the likes of Leeds and West Brom. 

Edited by Savo

Yeah I agree with this.  From almost all of the games I've seen we've been very similar to almost all of the opposition apart from maybe Birmingham where we gave them a proper tonking.

The away form has been great and we've picked up some decent results but as mentioned, I think we have had spells in many games where we've played poorly and have not looked very good.  Some of our passing has been woeful but then on the flip side of that you have the goal against Fulham, so fuck knows how that came about.

You've got to be happy with where we're at given the games we've had etc.  I'm still not convinced that SL knows his best side to be honest.  A lot of the time the team that finishes a game is better than the one that starts it.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying the ride and it's bloody refreshing to be able to shout that we're top of the league.  And hopefully for once we may finish a season with the same manager who started it.

It's incredible what the manager is doing after such a short time here and so many changes in the squad. Away form we could only dream about really. 

A good manager who can organise a team and instill a great team ethic can go far in this league. 

I'd be surprised if we fell away and didn't make the top 6 to be honest now. The first 10 or so games is usually a good indicator. 

Unbeaten in 9, sitting pretty in the top 6 having played many of the top sides already. 

Wrist slashing Forest fans : I am really concerned about the start we’ve made 

😅😅

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nottmred said:

Unbeaten in 9, sitting pretty in the top 6 having played many of the top sides already. 

Wrist slashing Forest fans : I am really concerned about the start we’ve made 

😅😅

Depends I suppose. If you look at it purely by results then there's no real cause for concern at all. If you look at the performances though then I think you have to say we've been patchy at best.

Maybe the standard of the division is shit but if I'd been asked where we were in the league after seeing us in the 5 games I've seen without knowing the answer I'd never have us in 4th. 

I'm not moaning exactly but I am reluctant to start blowing my load just yet as I'm not sure we're good enough to sustain it. 

We're in our current league position because we're approaching games in a way that gets us results thanks to having a manager who has already shown he knows what he's doing. 

Here's the thing, you win games by scoring more goals than your opponents, that's all that matters.

I haven't seen one game yet where we got less than we deserved out of a game.  Did we tippy tap the ball around our opponents in those games?  No, but we did what we had to.  The fact is our strength is in being hard working and well organised while having the odd player who can hurt the opposition with the few chances we have.

We've played the best teams in the division as well as lower placed teams who would often turn us over and only lost once thanks to the flappy wonderkid. 

If our approach bothers you I'd suggest you check out some highlights from those games that made us European Champions.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

3 hours ago, Savo said:

Depends I suppose. If you look at it purely by results then there's no real cause for concern at all. If you look at the performances though then I think you have to say we've been patchy at best.

Maybe the standard of the division is shit but if I'd been asked where we were in the league after seeing us in the 5 games I've seen without knowing the answer I'd never have us in 4th. 

I'm not moaning exactly but I am reluctant to start blowing my load just yet as I'm not sure we're good enough to sustain it. 

I agree it's not champagne football Savo, but we are doing what we haven't done for a long time......we are grinding out results. We are hard to beat, which is a plus, and just maybe we haven't yet seen the best this squad can offer.

Something must be right if we are 10 games into the season and I haven't called for the cunt of a manager to be sacked.

I'll say one thing though. The Forum is more lively when we're on a bad run.

Let's see where we are in January /February. If we're still in the top 6 I'll eat humble pie. Unless we invest in a couple of quality forwards in January it ain't happening from what I can see as there's not enough creativity. We can eek out results for a while but eventually you need to show that extra quality to stay amongst the pace setters. I feel that our squad is more quantity than quality but I'd love to be proved wrong.