Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Cheswick

The Women's World Cup

Anyone been watching this?

What are your thoughts?

I've seen a bit, it looks alright to a point, but a bit like watching pre season friendlies, with the excitement factor only raised because the goalkeepers seemed to be as good as Alan Rough on a rough day.  

I'll be following it. I watched a bit of the France game and had the England game on in the background. They could do with a highlights programme but there doesn't seem to be anything. If they had a 30-60 minute programme each day with the goals from each game and a bit of info on the main players and teams I think a decent number of people would watch it, but I can't see many people watching 90 minutes of Germany playing China or whatever.

The standard of keeping is very low but that's partly just a size problem. It makes sense to have smaller goals in the women's game although that's really just a credibility issue, for entertainment's sake I suppose it makes more sense to keep them as they are.....

Watched five minutes and had to switch it off. I'd rather watch the Vanarama league than the Women's World Cup. 

It's great that women are playing the game more and everything but I'm getting a bit sick of the BBCs relentless plugging of it. I know that they're desperate to appear inclusive and after scandal after scandal of unfair gender pay gaps they want to show how 'pro-women' they are. But their coverage is way OTT.  I go on the sport page for transfer news etc and can't see anything but fucking Phil Neville.

It is ridiculous how much over exposure the BBC gives women's football. League Two gets higher attendances, but the BBC constantly ignores the Football League in favour of female clubs with comparable names to their male counterparts.

Thailand’s goalkeeper was terrible. She tried to save every shot with her feet apart from one she dived for which she should actually have used her feet to save. Only the 8th goal for the USA looked like a genuine goal. 

They need to do something about the goalkeeping, either smaller goals or stick a bloke in goal. 

On 6/10/2019 at 6:38 AM, Savo said:

It's great that women are playing the game more and everything but I'm getting a bit sick of the BBCs relentless plugging of it. I know that they're desperate to appear inclusive and after scandal after scandal of unfair gender pay gaps they want to show how 'pro-women' they are. But their coverage is way OTT.  I go on the sport page for transfer news etc and can't see anything but fucking Phil Neville.

That sounds no different to coverage of the men's world cup tbh.

Never really been a fan of women's football, but at the end of the day, it's not really hurting me. My license fee would just be pissed up the wall on something else, if it weren't this.

8 hours ago, Daz said:

That sounds no different to coverage of the men's world cup tbh.

Difference is the men brought in 26.5m viewers for the Croatia game last year whereas there were 6m watching the women's Scotland game which apparently has broken all records. I haven't seen figures for other games but I doubt they go into 7 figures. The amount of coverage in the media (particularly the always inclusive BBC) doesn't corrospond with the public interest for me. When I click on the BBC Sport homepage I want to read about the cricket world cup and the US Open as well as football transfer stuff without sifting through 4/5 WWC articles but that's just me. 

Anyway I couldn't care less about the tournament but my annoyance is more towards the media ramming it down my throat. I won't be watching any of the games as whenever I've seen it in the past the standard has been non-league at best and there's no atmosphere or edge to the games whatsoever. 

You could say the same about all sports but football. I doubt men's cricket or rugby get over 6m viewers very often, they seem to get plenty of media coverage. The US Open golf is currently the top story on their website, I like golf but no way it would get more than 6 million viewers if they had live coverage, which of course they don't.

Remember Grandstand? Women's football is hugely popular and high quality compared with the most of the stuff they used to dedicate six hours of their Saturday to each week.

I think it makes perfect sense for the bbc go big with women's football. They've not got the rights to much live 'proper' football, or sport generally. It must be relatively cheap, it's a growing sport, with the potential to get much bigger. If they keep promoting and covering it I can see it getting pretty big. Give it decade or two and it'll be the country's number two sport. Something to look forward to there Savo......

Edited by Art Vandelay

My daughter is a good player and I'm fucking delighted to see the women's game get some serious exposure,

The greatest tennis player of all time is a woman. The second greatest is a woman as well. What's wrong with debating in future if Ronaldo or Messi or Maradona have found their equivalent match in female sport?

Edited by Daz555

Tennis is a bit different, in some ways women's tennis, while absolutely boring, just like men's tennis, is a little bit slowed down so less tedious.

Football though, from this world cup, it is just like watching pre season friendlies. And the goalkeeping is what it is.  I think the pitches and goals need to be slightly smaller for the women's game to be more watchable.   

11 hours ago, Daz555 said:

The greatest tennis player of all time is a woman. The second greatest is a woman as well. 

If you say so. 

10 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Tennis is a bit different, in some ways women's tennis, while absolutely boring, just like men's tennis, is a little bit slowed down so less tedious.

Football though, from this world cup, it is just like watching pre season friendlies. And the goalkeeping is what it is.  I think the pitches and goals need to be slightly smaller for the women's game to be more watchable.   

Women's sport has come a long way no doubt. But the sheer scientific facts of the matter are that it will never be up to the same standard as men. 

Men are bigger, stronger, faster, can hit/kick a ball further and harder. As a spectacle it just makes better viewing as the game is quicker, the tackles harder, the strikes on goal more venomous and the distance a ball can be passed/shot longer. Good on the women for raising the profile of women's sport and anyone who wants to watch can crack on but for me each sport they play is just a watered down version of the real thing. 

Tennis is probably the closest sport the two genders get in terms of exposure. But even then at Wimbledon if it ends up Djokovic vs Nadal in the final there will be more...perhaps even double or triple the audience that a women's final will get between two of the best female players. 

Edited by Savo

15 hours ago, Daz555 said:

My daughter is a good player and I'm fucking delighted to see the women's game get some serious exposure,

The greatest tennis player of all time is a woman. The second greatest is a woman as well. What's wrong with debating in future if Ronaldo or Messi or Maradona have found their equivalent match in female sport?

What two women are the best ever tennis players? 

I always find it strange that the sports which don’t really require a physical element don’t have more women in, like snooker or darts. Both are more a case of coordination which women more often than not are better at than men. 

On 6/15/2019 at 1:58 PM, bestwood_red! said:

What two women are the best ever tennis players? 

I always find it strange that the sports which don’t really require a physical element don’t have more women in, like snooker or darts. Both are more a case of coordination which women more often than not are better at than men. 

I'm assuming he means Margaret Court and Serena Williams who have the 1st and 2nd highest number of slam wins respectively (24 and 23) but it's a ridiculous statement to make anyway as we all know if either of them in their prime played Federer in his prime they'd probably struggle to win a point.

It's like saying Marta is the best ever footballer. :D

Edited by Savo

On 6/13/2019 at 11:02 AM, bestwood_red! said:

Alex Morgan seems like she could genuinely play at a semi-pro level with men to be fair. 

She is seriously fit.