Sign in to follow this  
Caz

Forest 2019/20 thread

Retained list for 2019;

Karim Ansarifard, Arvin Appiah, Gboly Ariyibi, Yohan Benalouane, Liam Bridcutt, Joao Carvalho, Matty Cash, Zach Clough, Jason Cummings, Tendayi Darikwa, Michael Dawson, Tobias Figueiredo, Lewis Grabban, Jorge Grant, Adlene Guedioura, Michael Hefele, Joe Lolley, Alex Milosevic, Daryl Murphy, Ben Osborn, Costel Pantilimon, Jack Robinson, Jordan Smith, Hillal Soudani, Luke Steele, Panagiotis Tachtsidis, Apostolos Vellios, Tyler Walker, Ben Watson, Joe Worrall, Claudio Yacob, Ryan Yates

From that list, we need to move on;

Ariyibi, Cummings, Clough, Grant, Smith, Tachtsidis, Vellios, Murphy, Walker, Watson and Worrall and Hefele.

That leaves space for 4 or 5 signings (Byram & Colback + ST + No.1 GK + LW).

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Caz said:

Thoughts? 

We have an awful lot of shit in our squad. At least 12 of those names need to somehow be shipped out before we even think about new signings. I'd swap all 12 for 2 players of proper quality down the spine of the side. 

Just had a quick look at contract expiry dates...apparently this summer we're letting go of Fuentes, Pele, Bonatini, Janko and a few other loans. I'd forgotten Fuentes and Bonatini were even here. Standard forest. 

Because of the insane contracts we generously hand out we have to wait another year until Murphy, Watson, Bridcutt et al get sent to the glue factory 

Murphy didn't put a foot right in the last game v Bolton, not one single thing, the 4 passes he made were to the other team, he lost the ball in possession whenever he had it and looked like he had been playing for 90 mins

1 hour ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I looked at our squad on my lunch break and figured there were 12 players we could get shot of, Murphy wasn't even one of them.  

We could easily lose 20 players Chaz.............problem is, we'd replace them with 25 players of equal shittiness.

• Haha 1

It's going to be very hard to shift most of them because nobody else will give them the wages they're on at Forest and/or a longer deal. Suppose it depends how many of them are willing to take wage cuts for first team football....

What we should do really is just write off the next couple of seasons, sign nobody at all, and just let their contracts run down while moving on anyone we can. Although we should have begun that process three years go.

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

It's going to be very hard to shift most of them because nobody else will give them the wages they're on at Forest and/or a longer deal. Suppose it depends how many of them are willing to take wage cuts for first team football....

What we should do really is just write off the next couple of seasons, sign nobody at all, and just let their contracts run down while moving on anyone we can. Although we should have begun that process three years go.

The last 20 years barring maybe 3/4 seasons have been shite. I'd rather not write off anymore. Cant see it happening anyway, I reckon we'll see another busy window, outs and ins.

Of course it won't happen. That's what a sensibly run club taking a long term approach would do. I expect Forest will do the exact opposite.

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, E R said:

Yeah I believe completely that we should have a 'philosophy' at the club like Cohen stated - Swansea, Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers. It would be beneficial for us to have an identity from the top then when a manager does come in the owner and board state what kind of football they want and if you don't agree and don't fit the bill then move onto next managerial target. When we don't have a philosophy and we lurch from one manager to another of different philosophies they bring different kind of players together and we get stuck in the shit hole of trying to get certain players out cos they don't fit the tactics of that manager. Where as if the owner only wants players who pass it quick on the deck then regardless of what manager comes in they should be on the same page with how they want to play their football.

Just for the record and it's not based on any particular evidence so far but I've got a strange feeling O'Neill might surprise a few people next year ( in a good way before anyone makes any smart comments). I hope he puts a lot of work in over the summer cos let's be honest we need it. And I hope from the first minute of the first game next season we can clearly see O'Neill's intentions, hopefully they will be positive and effective

Karim Ansarifard, Keep

Arvin Appiah, Keep

Gboly Ariyibi, Get rid

Yohan Benalouane, Keep

Liam Bridcutt, Get rid

Joao Carvalho, Keep

Matty Cash, Keep

Zach Clough, Get rid

Jason Cummings, Get rid

Tendayi Darikwa, Keep

Michael Dawson, Keep 

Tobias Figueiredo, Keep

Lewis Grabban, Keep

Jorge Grant, Get rid

Adlene Guedioura, Keep

Michael Hefele, Get rid

Joe Lolley, Keep

Alex Milosevic, Keep

Daryl Murphy, Get rid

Ben Osborn, Keep

Costel Pantilimon, Keep

Jack Robinson, Keep

Jordan Smith, Get rid

Hillal Soudani, Get rid

Luke Steele, Get rid

Panagiotis Tachtsidis, Gone

Apostolos Vellios, Get rid

Tyler Walker, Keep

Ben Watson, Get rid

Joe Worrall, Keep

Claudio Yacob, Keep

Ryan Yates, Keep

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think we could do both, challenge for promotion and improve our squad at the same time.

We only finished 9 points off the playoffs and that was despite going through a defensive injury crisis, some poor refereeing decisions, the usual mid-season managerial change and having to endure a lot of bang ordinary loan players. I don’t think it would take a lot to get those extra 10 points (automatic promotion may be a different story) at the same time as putting in sensible policies to manage the squad rather than our usual scatter gun approach.

My priorities would be;

1. Assess players in the final year of their contract. It looks like we have a lot of players with only a year left on their contract (18 by my count) so the first thing we should do is to evaluate who we want to keep, who we could get a fee for, who we could loan out for the season and who we could try and pay off. It may be easier than previous summers to get a few of these off our books.

2. Let’s not just make changes for the sake of it. We should accept that not all of our squad (e.g. the likes of Darikwa and Guedioura) are going to rip up the division but also recognise that they are decent squad players at this level. It may be a simple philosophy but we should only get players who are genuine upgrades rather than just get people in to ‘add numbers’.

3. Use loan players wisely. The general standard of players we’ve had on loan in recent years has been poor with a few who have been injured or unfit for their whole spell. Do we actually undertake any scouting or simple medicals of the dross that we get on loan or do we just take any player offered? It actually strikes me as the easiest way to inject quality into the squad so we should make it count.

4. How about we have some more youth players in our squad? We don’t always need several established pros for each position. For example, we currently have Bridcutt as 7th choice in midfield. In the unlikely event that we have 5/6 central midfielders out injured then isn’t there a young player who could come in? It seems ridiculous that we have an under 23 squad (i.e. a squad full of grown men) and they are nowhere near contention for the first team.

5. Overall it would be nice to add some more dynamism and guile into the team. Another attacking wide player who can score goals consistently and a competent right back are the priorities. We have a fairly strong defence to build on.

Edited by Daz
  • Upvote 2

Agree with all that Daz although I think I'd rather any decent young players went out on loan to play every week than have them be a sixth choice midfielder or whatever. 

On 5/13/2019 at 4:11 PM, Savo said:

Just had a quick look at contract expiry dates...apparently this summer we're letting go of Fuentes, Pele, Bonatini, Janko and a few other loans. I'd forgotten Fuentes and Bonatini were even here. Standard forest. 

Because of the insane contracts we generously hand out we have to wait another year until Murphy, Watson, Bridcutt et al get sent to the glue factory 

Glue Factory 😂😂😂👍

O'Neill interested in Grosicki at Hull. 31 next month, so no resale value. Returned decent stats last season and would be a good option to play on opposite wing of Lolley. Fee expected to be around  £2.5m.

32 minutes ago, Kurt Tribbensee said:

I would like to see us get Richard Keogh from down the A52. A proper defender and leader 

He's doing a great job where he is.  I wouldn't want him to to go anywhere.

1 hour ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

If you're going to do this you'll have to try harder.

Can't wait for the second attempt 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kurt Tribbensee said:

I know Derby are after Lolley, do you think a swap deal would make sense? I do, Lolley flattered to deceive last season, on the whole pretty poor 

Hopefully you will get bored soon cos it's not entertaining, you could have at least disguised it a bit better and made a genuine point in a discussion to see everyone's views and that might have flared up a bit of a heated debate which I'm sure your looking for.

2 hours ago, Kurt Tribbensee said:

I know Derby are after Lolley, do you think a swap deal would make sense? I do, Lolley flattered to deceive last season, on the whole pretty poor 

Absolutely priceless.  You've just been dicked in your cup final, you couldn't even beat us last season and we were shite and you want to get rid of frog eyes.

Then you decide to take the time to register a name and come on here to see what you can do.  Anyone in your local area should be keeping their kids away from you because you've got to be on some sort of register somewhere.

Either that or you're the perfect example of what happens when cousins mate.