Jump to content
Charlie Cheswick

Nottingham Forest vs Middlesbrough

Recommended Posts

Just watched the highlights from today, wasn’t really bothered about us having a game earlier.

having watched them I am so frustrated with the fact we haven’t been this way with by far one of the best players in the League having not played for months! 

Why oh why has he not been in this team making things happen?! 

Great result, poor reminder of the shit we have been use to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to sign at least one new striker for next season. Someone young, tall and with pace. Ansarifard, Murphy and Grabban are not up to the task. Grabban is closest but won't last the season alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic game today. Best game of the season. Makes it frustrating why we haven't played like this before. We played as a team for the first time under MoN. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only echo what’s already been said. That was the best we’ve played all season, especially in the second half. Carvalho ran the show but also caused Osborn, Cash and Lolley to have stormers too. If he stays over the summer surely O’Neill or whoever have to build the team around him as he’s a cut above in this division. 

Edited by Danny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danny said:

I can only echo what’s already been said. That was the best we’ve played all season, especially in the second half. Carvalho ran the show but also caused Osborn, Cash and Lolley to have stormers too. If he stays over the summer surely O’Neill or whoever have to build the team around him as he’s a cut above in this division. 

Yeah - thought Osborn was fantastic at LWB. Looked really effective both going forward and playing defensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be that out of expediency MON has discovered his best team and formation ?.  The question is , will he pick the same players / formation / tactics for our remaining 2 games ?.

If he does , will EM give him the opportunity to manage us next season , and , in your opinion should he ???????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised the reaction to O'Neil on here has been so negative when the reaction to Karanka in similar circumstances last season was largely positive.

To me it just looks like the exact same season all over again. I've just looked at their results and the results for O'Neil's first 17 matches are actually better than Karanka's first 17 (6 wins, 8 losses compared to 4 wins, 8 losses). :huh:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I'm surprised the reaction to O'Neil on here has been so negative when the reaction to Karanka in similar circumstances last season was largely positive.

To me it just looks like the exact same season all over again. I've just looked at their results and the results for O'Neil's first 17 matches are actually better than Karanka's first 17 (6 wins, 8 losses compared to 4 wins, 8 losses). :huh:

Difference being karanka inherited a bag of shit team, we were near on heading for relegation when he took over, when MON took the Helm we were 2 or 3 points off the play offs with a real chance of pushing on. 

The real issue for me is that we could of been playing like we did yesterday had he not of benched our best players for 12 games! 

His tactics in some games are truly bizarre, having said that after the performance yesterday I am more optimistic that he hasn’t lost the players.......yet

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't get there til half time due to trains being cancelled but I'm glad I saw that second half. I thought Boro were absolutely shit though. They played very half heartedly whereas we suddenly looked up for a fight and played fast exciting football for once.

I'm not over the moon by the win, we've been utterly shit for a so many games. Pressure now off and then they decide to put a shift in. Not only that, but the result gives Derby a massive helping hand into the playoff places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, colin said:

Could it be that out of expediency MON has discovered his best team and formation ?.  The question is , will he pick the same players / formation / tactics for our remaining 2 games ?.

If he does , will EM give him the opportunity to manage us next season , and , in your opinion should he ???????????

What this win, and performance, does prove, Col, is that the players are good enough. I'm fed up of hearing shit players, players not good enough, blah blah blah. Our performances on the pitch are governed by the manager's team selection, tactics, and formation. The players play how they are told to. Shit manager=shit performance and results.

MON has eventually stumbled across a line up and formation/tactic that works, but we all know there'll be a different line up and formation/tactic for the next game.

Pisses me off when we have a manager who cannot see what he's got. Like I said previously, MON now looks a proper twat for not utilising the abilities of Carvalho for the past 15 or so games. If he wasn't so fucking useless it could be us sat in 6th place instead of the sheep.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Middlesbrough were awful, giving Carvalho the freedom of the park. They were also missing a few key players. Difficult to say whether it was a good performance from us with the new formation, or a performance helped by a very poor performance from the opposition. Time will tell.

O'Neill OUT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two penneth:

  • Shows what a shocker MoN has had keeping JC out
  • Though let's face it, there have been times where he has gone missing but keeping out for so long is stupid
  • I don't think JC will be here next season.  There's no way he's going to risk being sat on the bench under MoN
  • Maybe yesterday was the old 'shop window' syndrome where he's playing for a move?
  • Boro are utter wank
  • I thought Ansifarad didn't have a bad game actually.  Doesn't look 100% though
Edited by Brummie_Red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Just saw Assombalonga at the end, can't remember him having a kick. 

I think we actually got a good deal (£15m) for Britt. :smile_anim:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, darcy said:

Difference being karanka inherited a bag of shit team, we were near on heading for relegation when he took over, when MON took the Helm we were 2 or 3 points off the play offs with a real chance of pushing on.

Hmmm. This was the narrative that people tried to spin to justify the Warburton - Karanka switch, but it's simply not the reality.

We had 31 points when Warburton was sacked, 42 would have kept us up, so that's over 75% of the way to survival by Christmas - considering we'd sold our main goal scorer and stayed up on goal difference the year before that seems a pretty decent showing. Contrast that with the results after Karanka took over which genuinely was relegation form. If people like Karanka for whatever reason that's fine but let's not pretend he saved us from relegation and let's not pretend the deterioration from Karanka to O'Neil is any worse than it was from Warburton to Karanka.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's always the difference in prospects to consider.  Under Warburton we were in a spot of bother, which didn't get any worse.

Under Karanka we were on the cusp of the play offs despite having no defenders to call on for a month, then we sank down the division when he left.  

The difference were no real change vs went downhill and fast.

There's definitely a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Hmmm. This was the narrative that people tried to spin to justify the Warburton - Karanka switch, but it's simply not the reality.

We had 31 points when Warburton was sacked, 42 would have kept us up, so that's over 75% of the way to survival by Christmas - considering we'd sold our main goal scorer and stayed up on goal difference the year before that seems a pretty decent showing. Contrast that with the results after Karanka took over which genuinely was relegation form. If people like Karanka for whatever reason that's fine but let's not pretend he saved us from relegation and let's not pretend the deterioration from Karanka to O'Neil is any worse than it was from Warburton to Karanka.

Let’s see how MON does next year and I’ll come back on your comment to compare, I believe it won’t be great reading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling we'll be alright next year to be honest. O'Neill tends to know how to get results even if it isn't pretty.  But this year turned out horrible yet again and much of that has to go down to MON having a bizarre approach to team selections.  Maybe he had a long game with it, maybe not.  I still think he'll have us winning more than we lose next year.  

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my comment concerns the reaction on here to O'Neil right now compared with the reaction to Karanka at the exact same time last season. So what happens next year is really nothing to do with it. Although I'd guess next year wil be pretty much the same as this one with O'Neil taking the Karanka role. What the reaction will be to new manager Tony Pulis is anyone's guess....

 

Edited by Art Vandelay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O'Neill is such a dinosaur that I'm starting to think he subscribes to the old stereotype of silky foreign lads not liking the cold. Which is why we haven't seen much of Carvalho until the weekend. 

Either way there is absolutely no way we'll ever succeed with him in charge. The club needs to build a foundation on which to produce a team that has an identity. One that can sustain itself as a top flight club if we were to go up. If he stays we'll end up having yet another mass clear out and start bringing in James McClean et al from the Ireland squad. Then start all over again. 

We need a young manager who has a track record of playing and developing young players playing good football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

There's always the difference in prospects to consider.  Under Warburton we were in a spot of bother, which didn't get any worse.

Under Karanka we were on the cusp of the play offs despite having no defenders to call on for a month, then we sank down the division when he left.  

The difference were no real change vs went downhill and fast.

There's definitely a difference.

We’d won one in 8 before he left. We were already on the decline. Although I’d rather he stayed than us get O’Neill 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, darcy said:

Let’s see how MON does next year and I’ll come back on your comment to compare, I believe it won’t be great reading. 

I don't believe Art is talking about next year, Darcy. He's comparing Karanka's first 17 games last season, to MON's first 17 games this season. MON has done slightly better than Karanka did, which is difficult to believe, but true. So he's asking the question, why is MON getting so much more stick than Karanka did?

If you remember, this time last season, I was slaughtering Karanka. He hit the Jan transfer window like a bull in a china shop, bringing in a whole new team, then proceeded to produce results that would have taken us down over an whole season. Yet some on here still thought he was the dog's doo dahs. MON has produced better results, points wise, but almost to a man, everyone wants him out. That's what Art is struggling to come to terms with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

 What the reaction will be to new manager Tony Pulis is anyone's guess....

 

Art, that's the most depressing comment I've read on here for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

We’d won one in 8 before he left. We were already on the decline. Although I’d rather he stayed than us get O’Neill 

I hated Karanka's approach to the game. Very one dimensional. Like for like subs which were never going to change a game when needed. I'd say he made the game more difficult than it needed to be.

MON, on the other hand, just comes across as clueless. He talks bollocks, and that is reflected on the pitch. I don't believe that the players enjoyed playing for either of them. But I must say, of the two, I'd take Karanka.........but there isn't much in it. Both horrid managers.

What Savo says................We need a young manager who has a track record of playing and developing young players playing good football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
  • Live championship table

  • Championship Live Scores

    Fctables
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.