Jump to content
MikeNFFC

Sheffield United v Forest

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, nottmred said:

Well that went pretty much as expected 😂

 

We should go all out for Slavisa Jokanovic in the summer. Bring him and his staff in and let’s go for it.

I'd be happy with that Luke.

MON now lost 50% of his 16 games in charge here. Can't ever see it getting any better under him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dane B said:

I'd be happy with that Luke.

MON now lost 50% of his 16 games in charge here. Can't ever see it getting any better under him.

I remember us playing ok against Derby, well against Wigan although they were the worst team I've seen all season and well against West Brom.  Other than that we've been pretty awful and I can't remember seeing a team sheet yet where you'd say, that was the best side he could pick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still seeing people say we have a top six squad. We really haven’t. We’ve got three or four good players and the rest are nothing special at all. Outside of Lolley, Grabban, Byram and Colback who are not even ours and maybe Carvalho none of this team would get in to the first 11 of any of the teams above us. 

We need a big big clear out and then one or two quality additions. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll tell you what, if O'Neill hadn't been so pig headed with his shit team selections we wouldn't be far off the top six if not in it.  Look at Sheffield today, they're pretty shit, top two.  

You don't have to be great, you just need a bit of talent, which we have when they all get picked, and a manager who can organise their team.  

Most of the teams above us haven't got a vast amount more talent than us, Norwich, Leeds, West Brom and Villa, that's about it.  

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

Still seeing people say we have a top six squad. We really haven’t. We’ve got three or four good players and the rest are nothing special at all. Outside of Lolley, Grabban, Byram and Colback who are not even ours and maybe Carvalho none of this team would get in to the first 11 of any of the teams above us. 

We need a big big clear out and then one or two quality additions. 

But there lies the problem BR. We have a clear out, normally our best players, and replace them with below average shite.

I keep saying it, quality over quantity. Why don't the club ever see it like that? We just keep adding shite upon shite, and before you know it, we have a squad of over 35, with only 2 or 3 you'd class as quality.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dane B said:

But there lies the problem BR. We have a clear out, normally our best players, and replace them with below average shite.

I keep saying it, quality over quantity. Why don't the club ever see it like that? We just keep adding shite upon shite, and before you know it, we have a squad of over 35, with only 2 or 3 you'd class as quality.

 

I have a theory on this.  Instead of the club having a footballing philosophy which managers have to buy into, we swap managers once or twice a year and apparently we have to have players that play to their philosophy.  So we've now got 44 players which is 4 teams if anyone's maths isn't great.  That's FOUR first teams.

That's pretty expensive.  Because it's so expensive adding any proper quality, which is also expensive, isn't easy to do.  So instead of adding quality we just litter the squad with more shit.  

If I was King, I'd have a change of manager in the summer and every incomer would need to sign up to a brand of football or they wouldn't get the job.  After that, you gradually stop renewing the shit players contracts and move out what you can.  We've got about 20 players too many.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I'll tell you what, if O'Neill hadn't been so pig headed with his shit team selections we wouldn't be far off the top six if not in it.  Look at Sheffield today, they're pretty shit, top two.  

You don't have to be great, you just need a bit of talent, which we have when they all get picked, and a manager who can organise their team.  

Most of the teams above us haven't got a vast amount more talent than us, Norwich, Leeds, West Brom and Villa, that's about it.  

You need a consistently good, not 'fantastic' team to get out of this division that's it, and we don't have that. We have some good individuals that's as far as it goes, we don't have a 'good' team sheff utd have a 'good' team. No amazing standout individuals like we have with Lolley they all work together and know each other inside out and play as a cohesive unit with a balance of defensive strength and attacking flair. I love the system Chris wilder plays it really works for that squad. Our system, pfffft, men behind the ball, give the good players the ball and hope they conjur up something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ricknffc said:

You need a consistently good, not 'fantastic' team to get out of this division that's it, and we don't have that. We have some good individuals that's as far as it goes, we don't have a 'good' team sheff utd have a 'good' team. No amazing standout individuals like we have with Lolley they all work together and know each other inside out and play as a cohesive unit with a balance of defensive strength and attacking flair. I love the system Chris wilder plays it really works for that squad. Our system, pfffft, men behind the ball, give the good players the ball and hope they conjur up something

We haven't had a good team since O'Neill came in.  We had a system of playing before that, it was always a work in progress this year but we had things in place to make us as effective as possible.  Hence why, despite us having no more than two fit defenders for a couple of months, we were still within a couple of points of the top six.  

Since then it's gone to shit, it isn't about the quality that we have available, we plugged the gaps in defence, it's about us being completely aimless tactically and having random team selections every week that make no sense.  

We got things disastrously wrong with the managerial change and have paid the price. That's it.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone questioning his team selection is forgetting that Mon has been treating the season over for the past 2/3 games and is trying other people in the team seeing what they have. So I think talking about his team selections for the last 7 games or so of the season is aimless. Apart from Jack colback at left back I can't for the life of me understand why he's doing that.

 

We desperately need the summer and to work on things without playing games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ricknffc said:

Anyone questioning his team selection is forgetting that Mon has been treating the season over for the past 2/3 games and is trying other people in the team seeing what they have. So I think talking about his team selections for the last 7 games or so of the season is aimless. Apart from Jack colback at left back I can't for the life of me understand why he's doing that.

 

We desperately need the summer and to work on things without playing games. 

His teams have been nonsensical since he came in mate.  

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least he won't be playing Colback at left back again this season. Welcome back Benny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“There are one or two players - and I have said this a few times - who are very talented at this club. We need to supplement that extra talent with extra talent, if we can.

“It is a very short period of time, 15 or 16 games in charge. I came in part way through the season and, as Simon Ireland, my coach, said - we were already on a downward spiral at that point.  

I think Forest had won one in eight, when we came in. If people thought we were going to change things overnight, that was going to be very difficult.”

MON defending his abysmal record at Forest.

Telling us he's here to get promotion, but still learning about his squad of players. Needs to put his mark on the team, blah blah blah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I'll tell you what, if O'Neill hadn't been so pig headed with his shit team selections we wouldn't be far off the top six if not in it.  Look at Sheffield today, they're pretty shit, top two.  

You don't have to be great, you just need a bit of talent, which we have when they all get picked, and a manager who can organise their team.  

Most of the teams above us haven't got a vast amount more talent than us, Norwich, Leeds, West Brom and Villa, that's about it.  

I don't think it's so much about the team selections - it's the awful "style" we play as much as anything. No teamwork whatsoever. He could have the pick of the best players in the world but if he plays with his tactics we won't win much. Sadly. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, David said:

I don't think it's so much about the team selections - it's the awful "style" we play as much as anything. No teamwork whatsoever. He could have the pick of the best players in the world but if he plays with his tactics we won't win much. Sadly. 

Fair point David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dane B said:

“There are one or two players - and I have said this a few times - who are very talented at this club. We need to supplement that extra talent with extra talent, if we can.

“It is a very short period of time, 15 or 16 games in charge. I came in part way through the season and, as Simon Ireland, my coach, said - we were already on a downward spiral at that point.  

I think Forest had won one in eight, when we came in. If people thought we were going to change things overnight, that was going to be very difficult.”

MON defending his abysmal record at Forest.

Telling us he's here to get promotion, but still learning about his squad of players. Needs to put his mark on the team, blah blah blah.

 

I bet the twonk failed to notice we had only one or two fit defenders in that period of time.  He brought three in.  What's his excuse again?  And also, things weren't that bad for three or four games after he came in, it's when his tactics took hold that things turned to shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, David said:

I don't think it's so much about the team selections - it's the awful "style" we play as much as anything. No teamwork whatsoever. He could have the pick of the best players in the world but if he plays with his tactics we won't win much. Sadly. 

I’d like to know what his tactics are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the tactics are to badly try to play for a clean sheet then hope that one of our pot shots deflects of someone's arse and goes in, or like in the last game, off an opponent's head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were two points off the play offs when O'Neill took over.  We're now ten.  I reckon that tally could easily be 16 by the time the season is over.  As long as Stoke pick up enough points the likelihood is we'll finish either one or two places above where we finished last year and that is also down to how shit we've been since he took charge.

Not sure he's in a position to point the finger elsewhere.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to admire Norwich, just caught the back end of their game, don't know when their beaten, keep going 100% to the death and vrancic just curled in a beauty on 96 mins to earn a point high pressure moment, we can only admire what Norwich have done this season, oh how brilliant it would be to play like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to change to a 5year plan for promotion, not a one year turn around. Admit this to the fans and stop all this frustration each season with broken promises. 

Yates may become a top midfielder in a couple of years but he is currently a weak link in the spine of the team. He certainly tries harder than most but doesn’t have the cutting edge yet. 

Murphy is over the hill, again tries very hard but is never going to be our 15 plus goals a season striker. 

O’Neill is clearly looking to build the team out of players who work hard for the 90mins but unfortunately the only ones we have other than Lolley are not good enough to get us promoted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to forget about promotion altogether and just focus on building an actual team with some kind of identity and at least a bit of continuity. We still don't even have the basic foundations in place for any kind of long term sucess yet we still lurch from one year to the next making a mad dash for a totally unrealistic promtion by signing as many players as possible and hoping for the best. Then when inevitably it fails we sack the manager and start afresh. But then just do the exact same thing again. And again. And again.

I'm know I've written that same thing several times but just to demonstrate how ridiculous the situation is, Sheff Utd's team today contained five players who'd  played in their final game in League One (and would have been six if Sharpe hadn't got injured last week). Forest had one outfield player (Murphy) who played in the opening game of this season!

The side that started this season had just three players who'd started the first game of the previous season. That side in turn had just one player who'd started the season before. That side had only two who started the season before that. Which in turn had two who'd started the season before.  You get the idea. What an absolute farce.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

We haven't had a good team since O'Neill came in.  We had a system of playing before that, it was always a work in progress this year but we had things in place to make us as effective as possible.  Hence why, despite us having no more than two fit defenders for a couple of months, we were still within a couple of points of the top six.  

Since then it's gone to shit, it isn't about the quality that we have available, we plugged the gaps in defence, it's about us being completely aimless tactically and having random team selections every week that make no sense.  

We got things disastrously wrong with the managerial change and have paid the price. That's it.  

THIS !!!!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robinson made some comments critical of O’Neill in the press apparently hence he wasn’t even in the squad yesterday. Shame given he is one of our better players usually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't had a good team since O'Neill came in.  We had a system of playing before that, it was always a work in progress this year but we had things in place to make us as effective as possible.  Hence why, despite us having no more than two fit defenders for a couple of months, we were still within a couple of points of the top six.  

Apologies Charlie C but my bullshit detector is beeping alarmingly. Karanka was a dreadful manager, whose brand of football would cause one`s eyes to bleed. Dour defensive performances along the lines of Serie A back in the 1980,s.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
  • Live championship table

  • Championship Live Scores

    Fctables
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.