EveT1991

If we don't make the payoffs should we keep Martin O' Neill?

Should we keep Martin O' Neill if we don't make the playoffs?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Martin O' Neill if we don't make the playoffs?

• Yes we should we need stability and Im prepared to see where we are on the table at Christmas.
    • No not a fan but I would like to be proved wrong next season.
    • Maybe but need to see what players he brings in during the summer.

Every manager is a risk, and every manager needs time. Has MON had enough time, I dont think so. He's had to come in and get results straight away. Even as things stand right now we are only 3 points off and have been robbed out of points away at Preston and West Brom amongst others.

His football isn't easy on the eye but he's come in with a purpose to get instant results. Maybe with a full pre season and a transfer window he can have a bigger influence who knows but Id like to see him at the start of next season. 

Edited by GupiRed2
  • Like 1

He's being harshly judged on his tenure with The ROI. If anything the result against Gibraltar is a great indicator of what dross Mick McCarthy has at his disposal. O'Neil and Keane need all of next season and if we dont make the top 6 then it is fair to say it would be time to change.

Right now there's the nucleus of a promotion winning side but 50% of the playing staff are muck and wouldnt even get on to that piss poor Irish squad if eligible. Give them a chance lads, it beggars belief what some expect ...and as such  are the bigger part of the problem in this never ending malaise, myself included.

Back the Management like we all did Pearce when he arrived, cus MON has far and away more pedigree than almost any Manager we have had in years. 

I am happy for him to stay forever as the fight is well and truly knocked out of me after this season when it promised so much and delivered very little. Even now with a bit of effort we could sneak into the play off but it won’t happen as no one can score goals, people like Watson play to often and it is rumoured that our star striker is faking injury rather than play for us 🙄

19 hours ago, E R said:

It is rumoured that our star striker is faking injury rather than play for us 🙄 

Don't think the player would do a P.V.H. Most of the 'professionals' know the consequences of feigning injury, or striking. If he wanted to leave, the best advertisement is keep scoring and prove his worth. If the player was fully fit our position would probably be far higher than 11th currently in the Championship.

On 3/25/2019 at 5:35 PM, GupiRed2 said:

Every manager is a risk, and every manager needs time. Has MON had enough time, I dont think so. He's had to come in and get results straight away. Even as things stand right now we are only 3 points off and have been robbed out of points away at Preston and West Brom amongst others.

His football isn't easy on the eye but he's come in with a purpose to get instant results. Maybe with a full pre season and a transfer window he can have a bigger influence who knows but Id like to see him at the start of next season. 

I agree so would I he needs more time. 

The general concensus amongst my friends after yesterdays debacle was " he has to go , past his sell by date and yesterdays man ". Indeed I couldn't find a single person in favour of keeping him . The Greek journalist who seems to have an impeccable record of reporting what EM is likely to do has said that he thinks MON will be on very thin ice indeed .. One thing is for sure once the crowd turn EM will act ...

I don't like to so negative against our manager, especially one who is a club legend, but I can't see him taking us forward at all. Sadly. 

People are already turning against him Chas .. What is very apparent is that the players are as confused as we are , there is little to no pattern or cohesion to our play . Yesterday it was back to square pegs in round holes , utter dogshit !!  He is a very intelligent and articulate man but his brand of football is from a bygone era ...............................

12 hours ago, colin said:

People are already turning against him Chas .. What is very apparent is that the players are as confused as we are , there is little to no pattern or cohesion to our play . Yesterday it was back to square pegs in round holes , utter dogshit !!  He is a very intelligent and articulate man but his brand of football is from a bygone era ...............................

Unfortunately that is how things ended with him as ROI Manager. Players were only told of the team and formation an hour before kick off, and subs coming on have said they didn't always know what position they were coming on to play. 

Quote from an article 3 months ago:

"One of the big criticism leveled against O'Neill during his tenure with Ireland was that their was a lack of a gameplan and that players weren't familiar with what shape or how they were supposed to play within the system."

And from an article 7 months ago, following the loss to Wales.

Ultimately, if a manager wants his team to be better in possession, it will require a tactical plan, some basic structure and clear instructions to players. This applies to any aspect of the game, from set-pieces to pressing the opposition to the positions players take up to receive a pass.

Again, it was hard to decipher any sign of such things in Ireland's impotent performance.

"I've been saying this for some time. We have to be more positive," O’Neill said when asked in the post-match press conference about how his team could be better in possession. "We have to be more positive. Be stronger on the ball, deal with it. When it comes into you, don’t start panicking, play. Try and get on the half-turn, to get ourselves going forward."

The Ireland players desperately need some basic organisation and a tactical plan to make them greater than the sum of their parts.

Instead, they have their manager telling them to "just deal with it" as they're left exposed and overrun again.

Unfortunately it is starting to sound very familiar...

Edited by Padzer

This was my , and I suspect many others ,  greatest fear . EM should have gone all out to recruit Jokanovic given the squad of players at the time . His brand of football is roughly similar to AK’s only more pleasing on the eye and more productive.. His Fulham side arguably played the most attractive football in the Championship last season .. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MikeNFFC said:

I like the blokes at Lincoln.

Bummer already been there mate.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, colin said:

This was my , and I suspect many others ,  greatest fear . EM should have gone all out to recruit Jokanovic given the squad of players at the time . His brand of football is roughly similar to AK’s only more pleasing on the eye and more productive.. His Fulham side arguably played the most attractive football in the Championship last season .. 

This.

The financial gain of making the Prem would have dwarfed Jokanovic's demands.

Very, very short sighted of EM...........especially when you consider the goons he opted for.

• Upvote 2

Shortly after Karanka left The Times reported we approached Jokanovic and he turned us down due to concerns about the owners, money wasn't an issue. I imagine the sacking of previous managers who were doing quite well and the ridiculous approach to player recruitment can't have helped......

1 hour ago, Dane B said:

Bummer already been there mate.

Can't see them coming here, which shows what a basket case we are really.

If you're going to take a punt on a possible next Eddie Howe though these would be the punt to go for.

• Upvote 1

On the one hand I want to have a bit of sympathy for O’Neill for what he achieved at the club before but then I remember he’s turned us down numerous times in the past because we weren’t good enough and now he’s a busted flush we are suddenly important to him. Fuck him. I’ve already heard he’s not here past the final game anyway. 

The 'square pegs in round holes' analogy has been levelled at most Forest managers in the last 10 years, if not more! I haven't watched us for a while, only on TV, but to play Grabban AND Murphy together is just a bit baffling. I liked Appiah being played, but to couple that with the frankly, fucking mad team selection around him, sums up the lack of cohesion/understanding in our first 11.

Get rid ASAP. Think (at the time this poll was created) I voted keep him but he's killing any flair we once had.