EveT1991

If we don't make the payoffs should we keep Martin O' Neill?

Should we keep Martin O' Neill if we don't make the playoffs?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Martin O' Neill if we don't make the playoffs?

• Yes we should we need stability and Im prepared to see where we are on the table at Christmas.
    • No not a fan but I would like to be proved wrong next season.
    • Maybe but need to see what players he brings in during the summer.

17 minutes ago, Danny said:

Nope. He’s done better than I thought he would but I don’t think he’s up to it. 

We need stability and Martin O'Neill is on a 18 month contract to get us promoted so he deserves to bring in his own players in the summer transfer window and then we should judge at Christmas. I don't think the players are strong enough to go up yet so I'm not fussed if we don't make the playoffs this season.

15 minutes ago, EveT1991 said:

We need stability and Martin O'Neill is on a 18 month contract to get us promoted so he deserves to bring in his own players in the summer transfer window and then we should judge at Christmas. I don't think the players are strong enough to go up yet so I'm not fussed if we don't make the playoffs this season.

Do you trust him to bring the right players in? He doesn’t deserve owt if he’s come in with the remit of getting top 6 this season and misses out. Whether you think that’s fair or not is a different matter but there’s a reason he was given such a short-term deal. 

And if we do trust him to bring in even more players then we are back to square one as he is leaving at the end of next season. I am not convinced by him but am past caring these days so I don’t really give a fuck if he gets next season or not if I am honest 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Do you trust him to bring the right players in? He doesn’t deserve owt if he’s come in with the remit of getting top 6 this season and misses out. Whether you think that’s fair or not is a different matter but there’s a reason he was given such a short-term deal. 

Yes I do because I think he needs to be given a chance. Brian Clough didn't get of to a good start but he was given time. Sacking Martin O'Neill in the summer is not stability. 

3 minutes ago, EveT1991 said:

Yes I do because I think he needs to be given a chance. Brian Clough didn't get of to a good start but he was given time. Sacking Martin O'Neill in the summer is not stability. 

Brian Clough was unique, and I wish folk would stop bringing his name into a debate to try and prove a point .

Look, MON could manage us for 300 years and still not come anywhere near achieving what Clough did. You could give him the pick of players from Man City, United, Liverpool, and Chelsea, and he still wouldn't achieve what Clough did. His brand of football is outdated, he doesn't have the nous to change things on the pitch. His approach is one dimensional.

Get rid, even if he does manage to fluke a top 6 spot........which won't happen anyway. He's nowhere good enough for what we need.

19 minutes ago, EveT1991 said:

Martin O’Neill ain’t Brian Clough and nor is anyone else for that matter. The game has moved so far on since those days it’s pointless comparing. Gone are the days of us breaking transfer records and signing elite players like Peter Shilton. 

Stability is only worthwhile if what you’re doing is succeeding, or at least has a chance to. Has O’Neill shown you anything which gives you faith that he’s capable of leading us to a promotion push next time time out? 

58 minutes ago, Dane B said:

Brian Clough was unique, and I wish folk would stop bringing his name into a debate to try and prove a point .

Look, MON could manage us for 300 years and still not come anywhere near achieving what Clough did. You could give him the pick of players from Man City, United, Liverpool, and Chelsea, and he still wouldn't achieve what Clough did. His brand of football is outdated, he doesn't have the nous to change things on the pitch. His approach is one dimensional.

Get rid, even if he does manage to fluke a top 6 spot........which won't happen anyway. He's nowhere good enough for what we need.

But he deserves to be given time. I hope he proves all the moaners wrong.

People fall in to two groups really - a) Happy to give him a go and b) Didn't want O'Neil and don't have faith in him. I think whether or not we make the play offs is irrelevent to both...

4 hours ago, EveT1991 said:

You want to judge him at Christmas.. and then what sack him if he isn’t up to it and go through another mid season change.... no no no no 

we need the right man on a 3 year plan in the summer 

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

You want to judge him at Christmas.. and then what sack him if he isn’t up to it and go through another mid season change.... no no no no 

we need the right man on a 3 year plan in the summer 

We had that last summer Ian and everyone bar us seemed to want him gone by November.  The trouble here is, right manager or wrong manager, the outcome will be the same.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

We had that last summer Ian and everyone bar us seemed to want him gone by November.  The trouble here is, right manager or wrong manager, the outcome will be the same.

To be fair Chaz, what us on this Forum want doesn't come into the equation.

EM will sack MON if he doesn't perform. Simple as that really mate.

11 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I'm not convinced by what I've seen so far.  There wasn't much point in appointing him to sack him four months later.  

Why not? Then we sack the next manager after 4 months and the one after. Why change after its worked so well for the last 7 years? 

1 hour ago, A new man said:

Why not? Then we sack the next manager after 4 months and the one after. Why change after its worked so well for the last 7 years? 

It would be interesting to see how soon O'Neill's teams usually take to him coming in.

Some managers take a year or two to get things going, no point in having one of those here.  

Our ideal fit is a Billy Davies type manager who'll come, get immediate results and will struggle to last a year by being bonkers.  We haven't got time for managers with long term plans.  

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

There is still 8 games to go. I don't think we will get into the playoffs but there is still time for MON to stamp his own mark on the team and show some encouraging signs for next season... Obviously there is also time for him to show he's not up for the job.

At the moment I would keep him for next season but it does depend on how the team performs and who might be available in the summer 

13 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

You can’t ignore the patterns with Karanka. Middlesbrough are known for having the easiest chairman in football to work for but Karanka still managed to fall out with him and quit twice. With us it has been widely reported he lost interest around October time when he was told he couldn’t have any more money. 

Its a a shame because there is a decent manager in there somewhere but I don’t know if it’s pride or petulance thats his downfall. There’s a reason he was a free agent for so long before we took him and why despite five other Championship clubs parting company with their managers since he left he’s never even been mentioned. 

For tge record I didn’t want him sacked, I never said he should be sacked and I’d rather he had stayed and not quit than us have O’Neill. 

11 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

You can’t ignore the patterns with Karanka. Middlesbrough are known for having the easiest chairman in football to work for but Karanka still managed to fall out with him and quit twice. With us it has been widely reported he lost interest around October time when he was told he couldn’t have any more money. 

Its a a shame because there is a decent manager in there somewhere but I don’t know if it’s pride or petulance thats his downfall. There’s a reason he was a free agent for so long before we took him and why despite five other Championship clubs parting company with their managers since he left he’s never even been mentioned. 

For tge record I didn’t want him sacked, I never said he should be sacked and I’d rather he had stayed and not quit than us have O’Neill. 

Karanka wasn't sacked he wanted to leave but the owner wanted him to stay.

4 minutes ago, EveT1991 said:

Karanka wasn't sacked he wanted to leave but the owner wanted him to stay.

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything. 

On 3/20/2019 at 6:44 PM, Dane B said:

Look, MON could manage us for 300 years and still not come anywhere near achieving what Clough did......

Not sure about that. I think simply being a 367 year old man would probably eclipse anyone's achievements B)

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Haha 1