Sign in to follow this  
EveT1991

Martin O Neill

Whatever happens rest of this season I hope we keep Martin O' Neill as manager we need stability and sacking Martin O Neill is not stability. He is on a 18 month contract to get us promoted so if it doesn't happen this season then next season and I hope he proves some people wrong that he can get us promoted. 

Why do you think ‘stability’ will make any difference to O’Neills ability to get us up? It’s easy to bounce around buzzwords like that but what do you actually mean? What have you seen so far that gives you confidence that O’Neill is the man to do it?

So, what are we saying here then? Let's stabilise as a lower mid table side next season. We won't be going anywhere, not up, not down, but at least we would have kept a manager for 18 months.

Or do we search for a manager that is capable of taking us up, give him a 3 year contract, and stabilise as a club capable of going up?

I know which I prefer.

Stability is all well and good if you're doing what Leeds, Norwich, and Sheff Utd are doing. Stability is nothing when you have slid down from 3rd to 11th in a relatively short space of time. Let's stabilise going the wrong way in the league. I love it.

I hope he is our manager at the end of next season 'cause that'll mean we've gone up. I like the guy but not convinced so far.  

I was a fan of stability with the last manager 'cause I think he'd have had us in the top six this year and got us up next.  

I've got reservations about O'Neill though, mostly in that his team selections don't make a lot of sense.  That said he has a record of getting results whether I like what I'm watching or not.  Might as well see how it all pans out, 18 months is hardly a gamble.  

24 minutes ago, Dane B said:

So, what are we saying here then? Let's stabilise as a lower mid table side next season. We won't be going anywhere, not up, not down, but at least we would have kept a manager for 18 months.

Or do we search for a manager that is capable of taking us up, give him a 3 year contract, and stabilise as a club capable of going up?

I know which I prefer.

Stability is all well and good if you're doing what Leeds, Norwich, and Sheff Utd are doing. Stability is nothing when you have slid down from 3rd to 11th in a relatively short space of time. Let's stabilise going the wrong way in the league. I love it.

We shouldn't sack Martin O'Neill if we don't make the playoffs. I'm not fussed if we don't make the playoffs I said at the start of the season I would be happy with mid table finish this season and then go for it next season. Martin O'Neill needs time. 

I'm happy to give O'Neil a go but I hate it when people trot out 'stability' as a reason for keeping him. I've been around these forums a long tmie and can remember people using it as a reason for keeping the likes Megson and Platt. If the manager's a dud you want to get him out as soon as you can, hanging on indefinately purely for stabiltiy's sake won't improve things.

And more importantly I think a settled squad and consitant playing style is much much more important to stability than having a particular manager for a long time. For example Chelsea  have been one of the most sack happy clubs around but also one of the most sucessful and I'd argue one of the most stable - on the pitch their team barely changed from one year to the next for about a decade. Forest's changes completely between the first game of the season and Christmas.

Edited by Art Vandelay

If I was making the decision he would go, well he wouldn’t have been here in the first place. He’s done nothing since he’s been here to make me think he can take us up.. 

His team selections are baffling at times.... 

i know he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I think Karanka would have got us in the top 6.. we wouldn’t have finished any lower in my opinion than we will with O’Neill.. 

Nice idea with O’Neill but we needed the O’Neill from 20 years ago.. 

Edited by Ian

18 hours ago, EveT1991 said:

Whatever happens rest of this season I hope we keep Martin O' Neill as manager we need stability and sacking Martin O Neill is not stability. He is on a 18 month contract to get us promoted so if it doesn't happen this season then next season and I hope he proves some people wrong that he can get us promoted. 

Why have you started three MON threads in the lat 12 hours?

I don’t think the constant change of managers is the problem it’s the 20-30 signings a season that ruin things. For the good of the clubs I think teams should be limited to five in and five out per window not including paying off contracts. 

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Why have you started three MON threads in the lat 12 hours?

Kind of thing Deano would do. 

Please, no. 

16 hours ago, Dane B said:

I know which I prefer.

Didn't farke go through a very bad patch though where he could easily have been potted? And they kept him and are reaping the rewards

28 minutes ago, Ricknffc said:

Didn't farke go through a very bad patch though where he could easily have been potted? And they kept him and are reaping the rewards

Farke was asked to slash the wage bill so I’d expect his first season was a bit of a free swing in that respect. 

16 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I've been around these forums a long tmie and can remember people using it as a reason for keeping the likes Megson and Platt.

Wow, you HAVE been around these forums for a long time, Megson & Platt 😂

3 hours ago, Dane B said:

Please, no. 

Lol, I was trying to think of the name as I was going to comment exactly the same.

Welcome back Deano.

3 hours ago, Dane B said:

Please, no. 

:sad01_anim:

1 hour ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

She isn't Deano.  

How do you know its a she? 

1 hour ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

It's Eve.  

defo not that whelk Deano then Chaz?