nottmred

City Ground to be re-developed

55 minutes ago, Dane B said:

Also, the picture of the new stand is very deceptive. I reckon the new stand would extend so far that the first 3 buildings before the Trent End would have to be demolished.

I believe that only one of the boat clubs is affected and will be relocated to an olympic class  new facility towards lady bay bridge mate .

2 hours ago, colin said:

I'm sure that the Nottingham Rowing Club could have been persuaded to move if Doughty had made them an attractive offer .  As for the council I believe I'm correct thinking that Doughty reneged on payments for the Trent End loan  so no wonder there wasn't a reservoir of good will !!!

An attractive offer was made for the adjacent land, but the Rowing Club refused. Yes you're correct about the Doughty reneging on the payment for the new stand, but it was part of a larger strategy to stabilise the club financially.(Honestly can't remember the details).   

Thank god Doughty and Arthur didn't get their way of moving to another site. This is fantastic news.

If there could be a section of safe standing in the corner of the bridgford and the main stand it would be incredible 😀👍

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, MikeNFFC said:

Thank god Doughty and Arthur didn't get their way of moving to another site. This is fantastic news.

If there could be a section of safe standing in the corner of the bridgford and the main stand it would be incredible 😀👍

Those two planks would have literally sailed us down the river, to an out of town stadium that would only have been our home on match days. We would not have owned any part of the stadium, and would have been paying a huge rent to be there. The owners would have staged any event they could to try and recoup the cost of the stadium. American Football, Rugby, concerts, boxing, you name it, it would have been staged there. There was even talk of Notts County sharing as well, to free up the land at Meadow Lane for redevelopment. I dread to think where we'd be now if those two were still at the helm of our club.

At least EM knows how to put bums on seats, how to get the fans onside with what he is trying to achieve at our club, and how to make the fans feel part of the club. Fair play to the fella. It's a breath of fresh air after the years we spent as a laughing stock under the ownership of Doughty, and then Fawaz.

We've been crying out for a new Main Stand for years. It's about 25 years since any new redevelopment took place at the CG, with the building of the Trent End stand. It's incredible it has taken this long to finish off the stadium with a new Main Stand. Once completed, the walk over Trent Bridge will give fans the best view of a football stadium in British football. Just need Premier league football to compliment it please Mr M.

• Upvote 3

On 2/28/2019 at 10:25 AM, Dane B said:

You can't Jamie. Take away the massive supports at either side and the roof will collapse. 

plus that view when crossing trent bridge!

4 hours ago, Dane B said:

Those two planks would have literally sailed us down the river, to an out of town stadium that would only have been our home on match days. We would not have owned any part of the stadium, and would have been paying a huge rent to be there. The owners would have staged any event they could to try and recoup the cost of the stadium. American Football, Rugby, concerts, boxing, you name it, it would have been staged there. There was even talk of Notts County sharing as well, to free up the land at Meadow Lane for redevelopment. I dread to think where we'd be now if those two were still at the helm of our club.

At least EM knows how to put bums on seats, how to get the fans onside with what he is trying to achieve at our club, and how to make the fans feel part of the club. Fair play to the fella. It's a breath of fresh air after the years we spent as a laughing stock under the ownership of Doughty, and then Fawaz.

We've been crying out for a new Main Stand for years. It's about 25 years since any new redevelopment took place at the CG, with the building of the Trent End stand. It's incredible it has taken this long to finish off the stadium with a new Main Stand. Once completed, the walk over Trent Bridge will give fans the best view of a football stadium in British football. Just need Premier league football to compliment it please Mr M.

You need to read this out whilst playing some jingoistic music. Churchill-esque stuff from Dane B 👴

On 2/28/2019 at 12:58 PM, Savo said:

Need a team that could actually fill it. All well and good having a great spanking new stand packed out then having nobody in the Upper Brian Clough. 

I'm all for the regeneration of the stand and the area as its in dire need of it but no point having 38k seats playing gash second tier football in front of 22k.

What the fuck. We are playing in front of big crowds now and 38K won’t be too much when we get amongst it.

1 hour ago, Bcrawa said:

What the fuck. We are playing in front of big crowds now and 38K won’t be too much when we get amongst it.

Ignore him mate , he's become so negative with all things related to NFFC that I wonder why he bothers at all ..  Shame really since he used to be a decent bloke ..

2 hours ago, Bcrawa said:

Since we won our second European Cup our average attendance has topped 25k once - in 1996. In that time we've had Wembley as our second home, had promotions, finished 3rd in the top flight and had several other play off seasons. 

Sure we'd have a bit of a boost due to the novelty of a new stand but long term would we be selling out 38k each game? History suggests not. We'd have to seriously up the quality of the team and be an established Premier League club to even consider the possibility, and even then the pricing and marketing would have to be sound. 

Not trying to be negative. Just realistic. 

You won't get 38k in each week to watch the 2022 equivalent of Daryl Murphy and Ben Watson slug it around the second tier against Brentford or Millwall. 

But it isn't the end of the world if we don't sell 38000 tickets every game (and obviously we wouldn't). More revenue would  be made elsewhere anyway. I can't understand how people can be negative about it, it's exciting and much needed all around the ground.

If the club keeps progressing and Mr M makes Forest a decent force, playing against big teams, with a big away followings in tow, I'm sure we would get close to that figure sometimes. It is incredible what we are getting now,. Imagine if we were a good side. He will want a team to match the stadium that is for sure.

Surely this news confirms that the club is only going one way now. Whether that is next year or in the next few years, the reds are going up!

Does anyone of these negative posters not consider that a stadium investment of such magnitude won't be matched with equal ambition on the pitch.

Sure let's not bother having a great stadium we can fill because we may never be an established premier team.... But what if we actually do become one ???

Some people are only at their happiest when whining.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And just to add, it isn't going to happen overnight, probably not this year, maybe not next, but I'm convinced within 5 years we will be an established Premier league club with a stadium to be envied and a cat 1 academy equal to any in the country. And the only struggle every other week will be to get a hold of one of those 38 thousand tickets.

Put your shoulders to the wheel, Doughty and Fawaz at al have crushed your spirit, it's time to finally believe again.

9 hours ago, Savo said:

Since we won our second European Cup our average attendance has topped 25k once - in 1996. In that time we've had Wembley as our second home, had promotions, finished 3rd in the top flight and had several other play off seasons. 

Since 1967 when we had over 49,000 in the ground against Man Utd, I was there by the way, sat on the running track as an 8 year old, I think we have only topped 40000 3 times since. It wasn't a nice experience, being crammed into the Trent End when it held 8000. Dad's didn't want to take their kids along because of the violence back in those days. The match day experience was totally different back then Savo. I remember attending a night match in the mid 70's when we were a second division side, and there were less than 9000 at the match. Even when we were at our peak, our average attendance wasn't much better than it's been this season.

Times have changed mate. Dad's now feel safe taking their kids along to a match. More people have more disposable income to buy season tickets, or a match day ticket. You sit in your own space, and aren't crammed into a terrace like sardines in a can. It's totally different now mate. At this level, we would have struggled to get 20k fans turn up for a game back in the 70's.We must be averaging 28,000 this season. Same shit football in the same shit second division, yet the average attendance is much bigger.

We might not get 38,000 for games like Reading and Rotherham, but we'd do it easily against the Derbys, Leeds, Villas etc of this league. For a start, we'd be able to double the amount of away fans in the ground by giving them the whole of the bottom tier of Bridgford End. If we're pushing for promotion in this league, or if we are in the Prem, 35k + is not out of our reach.

For me personally, this is the best thing Marinakis could have done to give fans some hope for the future. It will be 3 years before the stand is completed, by then, one would hope that we'd be hosting Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, and Chelsea. 6 sell out home games out of the 19 we'd play that season.

It's not all bad mate.

Also, you have to look at what Alan Hardy has done to Nott's. It might not be too long before the people of Nottingham will have to watch Forest if they want to attend a football match. 😂😂😂

On 2/28/2019 at 9:44 PM, colin said:

I believe that only one of the boat clubs is affected and will be relocated to an olympic class  new facility towards lady bay bridge mate .

I reckon 3 will have to go mate. The size of that roof on the images shown suggest the stand will be at least twice as deep as the current one. It dwarfs the Trent End and Brian Clough stands.

From what I gather last night, 40k was the target. The Bridgeford End will have it's roof levelled off, but unfortunately, the corner that bends around to join the Main Stand stand will have be demolished to make way for the new stand.

We could buy county, flatten it and turn it into a state of the art academy ha. No seriously would be a shame to lose them to administration, maybe we should have a whip around? We could hold a fixture against them like when we used to do the county cup along with Mansfield and give them the gate ticket money

I wasnt really trying to moan. Just stated originally that if we're going to have a great big stadium then we need a team that will fill it. Yes we've had good attendances this season but the numbers say that is the exception not the norm. The summer provided a lot of optimism but if that turns into yet another false dawn I could see it going back to normal again as there's only so much shit someone can take. I hit my tipping point about the time Billy had us humiliated at the shaggers. Time will tell of course but I've had mixed views about EM this season. 

I see £13m and £6m spent on Carvalho and Grabban and that gives me hope (even if he then employs a bloke who won't play them :lol:) that we're showing the required ambition to go up.

Then you look at wasters like Ansarifard, Pele, Tachtsidis and Hefele and I just think it's Fawaz all over again...particularly when the other similarity between them is appointing a manager based on sentiment. I'm still not convinced MON was ever the right choice as much as I want him to be but that's a different debate. 

Yes legs_akimbo you're spot on mate. Fawaz and Doughty killed any positive feelings I used to have. 

Edited by Savo
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Savo said:

I wasnt really trying to moan. Just stated originally that if we're going to have a great big stadium then we need a team that will fill it. Yes we've had good attendances this season but the numbers say that is the exception not the norm. The summer provided a lot of optimism but if that turns into yet another false dawn I could see it going back to normal again as there's only so much shit someone can take. I hit my tipping point about the time Billy had us humiliated at the shaggers. Time will tell of course but I've had mixed views about EM this season. 

I see £13m and £6m spent on Carvalho and Grabban and that gives me hope (even if he then employs a bloke who won't play them :lol:) that we're showing the required ambition to go up.

Then you look at wasters like Ansarifard, Pele, Tachtsidis and Hefele and I just think it's Fawaz all over again...particularly when the other similarity between them is appointing a manager based on sentiment. I'm still not convinced MON was ever the right choice as much as I want him to be but that's a different debate. 

Yes legs_akimbo you're spot on mate. Fawaz and Doughty killed any positive feelings I used to have. 

Mate, nobody moans more than me about the fuck ups made at our club. I'm still certain that MON is the wrong manager to take us forward. But, I can only take positives from the proposed plans to make our stadium, our famous City Ground, the best in the East Midlands. We've fallen behind Derby and Leicester in that respect. Not any more.

Also, you'd have to say that the current Main Stand is an embarrassment. Colin was probably still a virgin when that was built. The time is well overdue for it to be demolished.

Chin up buddy. Doughty and Fawaz are history now. 

Here's a question for you guys.

Do any of you know what is the oldest part of the ground?

2 hours ago, Dane B said:

Since 1967 when we had over 49,000 in the ground against Man Utd, I was there by the way, sat on the running track as an 8 year old, I think we have only topped 40000 3 times since. It wasn't a nice experience, being crammed into the Trent End when it held 8000. Dad's didn't want to take their kids along because of the violence back in those days. The match day experience was totally different back then Savo. I remember attending a night match in the mid 70's when we were a second division side, and there were less than 9000 at the match. Even when we were at our peak, our average attendance wasn't much better than it's been this season.

Times have changed mate. Dad's now feel safe taking their kids along to a match. More people have more disposable income to buy season tickets, or a match day ticket. You sit in your own space, and aren't crammed into a terrace like sardines in a can. It's totally different now mate. At this level, we would have struggled to get 20k fans turn up for a game back in the 70's.We must be averaging 28,000 this season. Same shit football in the same shit second division, yet the average attendance is much bigger.

We might not get 38,000 for games like Reading and Rotherham, but we'd do it easily against the Derbys, Leeds, Villas etc of this league. For a start, we'd be able to double the amount of away fans in the ground by giving them the whole of the bottom tier of Bridgford End. If we're pushing for promotion in this league, or if we are in the Prem, 35k + is not out of our reach.

For me personally, this is the best thing Marinakis could have done to give fans some hope for the future. It will be 3 years before the stand is completed, by then, one would hope that we'd be hosting Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, and Chelsea. 6 sell out home games out of the 19 we'd play that season.

It's not all bad mate.

Spot on. I first went to Forest Southampton in 1983. Two well established top tier teams. Attendance was less than 15k. Football attendances have been on the up for years. To fill it week in and week out we need to be doing OK in the Premier league and it would be near full most weeks if we were top 3 in this league in my view. More important is the statement of intent....what it says to the fans and prospective signings...that this is a club he’ll bent on climbing out of the doldrums. It’s brilliant news and I’m feeling more and more confident that we will be in a great place in 2 years or so...on and off the pitch.

It'll be alright.  I must admit to my huge preference for standing on a terrace rather than sat in some cramped plastic uncomfortable seat..but it is what it is. Grounds in need of a revamp don't bother me one bit....as I've started doing the rounds in the non league scene I've seen plenty of these and there's nothing wrong with them.  I went to Chesterfield Saturday and sat in their all singing all dancing identikit flat pack 'stadium'. Zzzzz. To my shame I haven't done  home game watching Forest this season and I've missed the old place, and ill miss the main stand..used to have some right laughs in the A block. 

On 3/2/2019 at 10:24 AM, Dane B said:

Here's a question for you guys.

Do any of you know what is the oldest part of the ground?

Is it Colin?

• Haha 3