Sign in to follow this  
colin

Shit Referees

I realise that it’s been said before ad nauseum but we re@lly do get some shit refs in the Championship.  Why is it acceptable for an official to be demoted from the Prem only to be awarded games to run in the Championship?.  If they’re shit they’re shit irrespective of which league they officiate in . Surely with the sums involved for either promotion or relegation it’s only reasonable for clubs to expect a high level of competency from the officials . Based upon recent events I think we can feel justified in feeling that they have failed us big time.. The EFL needs to address this problem tout suite !.

It must happen to all EFL clubs, Col. 

This is where VAR should be used. Diving, ala West Brom. Handball, ala Leeds. Foul or no foul, ala Preston. 

Refs are human, and do make mistakes. It's not easy when you might be 15 - 20 yards away from an incident and you have a split second to make a decision. This is where VAR should be used to assist the ref.

I don't watch much footie on TV, the modern game bores the tits off me, but when I have seen VAR used its normally to decide if a player was an inch offside..... like an inch offside makes any difference. 

I don't even know if Refs used in the EFL are full time professionals, or if its just a bit on the side from their main occupation. If they aren't, they should be. As you say, Col, the money in the game now days should demand that officials are more capable than what we have seen this season. 

Football should invest more in its referees - there's enough money in the game that the standard could improve. It should also protect them more. TV has turned football into a referee witch hunt and the top manager dump their long-term inadequacies on the decisions that refs have to make in a second. I don't think VAR is the answer, as sport is not a science and based on evoking emotion, part of the enjoyment is in those moments where folk fuck up. The problem is that there is so much money in football and too many fuckers are looking to protect their investments.

I really don't know what the answer is. I have never been pro VAR as such but agree these mistakes are too costly. Goal line technology great because that is black and white, the balls is all over the line or not. As long as the system works properly. Quick buzz on the wrist saying goal. However for fouls etc it is 100% subjective and opinion to the ref. Okay a dive isn't and that can be resolved pretty quickly but what about a challenge where there is contact but not enough in the refs opinion to go down. Or the fouled player has deliberately drawn the contact. After all this is a contact sport. It's only a matter of time also till we have 'refbots' like frigging robot wars and like a electric rabbit at greyhound racing going up and down the touchline with a Lazer going across the pitch to decide offsides. I guess VAR would give the correct outcome more times than not. But just wait for the first occasion of injustice when it goes to VAR and it's a definite foul and the crowd can see it's a definite foul and the ref dismisses it because in his opinion there wasn't enough contact etc, where do you go from there?? 

I think it can be made simple... Each team has 1 challenge each they can use. If the challenge is proved correct, the side keeps it and if it is proved wrong then they lose it... similar to cricket and that puts the impetuous on the captain to challenge rather than the referee 

The cheating diving bastards should be judged by VAR and then tasered by crack marksmen on the roof of the stands. 

On 2/19/2019 at 7:24 AM, Dane B said:

I don't watch much footie on TV, the modern game bores the tits off me, but when I have seen VAR used its normally to decide if a player was an inch offside..... like an inch offside makes any difference.

I can't stand that. This isn't what football is about surely? - Everyone just waiting about after a goal is scored while an anonymous man in a little room somewhere measures the exact heel placement of a defender who was 30 yards from the action to the nearest millimeter :thumbsdown_anim:

I've never liked the idea of VAR and nothing has happened to make it seem any more appealing.

Edited by Art Vandelay

I see Warnock is blaming the ref after their match against Watford and saying they need VAR ASAP. When you lose a game 5-1, blaming the ref seems a little unconvincing.

Not only that Rick , Gayle dived again trying to win a free kick on the edge of the box ...  What a bunch of cheating fookers ..

4 hours ago, colin said:

Not only that Rick , Gayle dived again trying to win a free kick on the edge of the box ...  What a bunch of cheating fookers ..

Ah I didn't see that... What a **** I heard he was getting a lot of stick from Sheffield u fans