Sign in to follow this  
Mr Smith

Birmingham v Forest

30 minutes ago, Dane B said:

Don't agree mate.

I thought the players looked shackled playing Karanka ball. The players were never allowed to express themselves. There was very little expansive play. It was a rigid formation that the players had to adhere to.

Yesterday is what they look like unshackled.

28 minutes ago, Thommo said:

I’m not convinced sacking Karanka was a bad decision. I am convinced hiring MoN was a bad decision. 

Could Karanka have built something? Yes, but if rumours are true he wanted to sign proven championship players which cost £ms and the owners didn’t then you what do they do? Hence the fallout. The owners wanted someone who’d play with freebies and what’s currently in the squad.

This squad isn’t top six, the manager isn’t top six and the owner isn’t top six. They’re shit, we’re shit it’s time to get some barbiturates and find a dirty mattress at 1500 every Saturday.  

I think Karanka would have had us in the top six by the end of the season and he'd have done very well if he had 'cause, as we've both said a few times, apart from two players the squad is a cheap one. 

Either way, I've said this a lot of times but it doesn't make it less true, if you sack a manager - especially when you don't need to - you'd better have a better one lined up.  Especially if you sack him halfway through a season.  

It's bollocks, we did it with O'Driscoll and we did it again now.  It isn't even like it was so long ago that none of us can remember how badly that went.  

I'm not hopeful that we're now a well run club, too many chefs and all that.   

37 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I think Karanka would have had us in the top six by the end of the season and he'd have done very well if he had 'cause, as we've both said a few times, apart from two players the squad is a cheap one. 

Either way, I've said this a lot of times but it doesn't make it less true, if you sack a manager - especially when you don't need to - you'd better have a better one lined up.  Especially if you sack him halfway through a season.  

It's bollocks, we did it with O'Driscoll and we did it again now.  It isn't even like it was so long ago that none of us can remember how badly that went.  

I'm not hopeful that we're now a well run club, too many chefs and all that.   

Agree with all this. I think there’s one chef though, unfortunately the chef doesn’t know how hard the championship is. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I always find it hilarious when, despite obviously being wrong given hindsight, somebody still won't admit that they're wrong.

I never said Karanka should be sacked 

5 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Yesterday is what they look like unshackled.

You are joking aren't you Chaz?

7 minutes ago, Dane B said:

I'd assume it was a question as opposed to a statement.

13 hours ago, Dane B said:

Honestly no.  Which players do you think have been stifled this season?  

I reckon your perception of how good our players are and how good they actually are have a bit of distance between them.

2 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Honestly no.  Which players do you think have been stifled this season?  

I reckon your perception of how good our players are and how good they actually are have a bit of distance between them.

Spot on. 

If I was manager for the first XI out of the current crop of permanent squad members I’d keep Carvalho, Grabban, Fig and maybe Lolley who’s been hugely inconsistent. 

The rest are either too limited or have one decent game in five. 

We have far too many defensive minded midfielders and outside of Geddy, who is massively flaky, no one creative in the first two thirds of the pitch. 

Our recruitment has been absolutely dreadful. 

I’m probably in the minority in that I wanted Karanka gone because his football was dull but also thought the playing staff was terrible as well

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Danny Fox says otherwise.

Link? 

5 hours ago, Thommo said:

Spot on. 

If I was manager for the first XI out of the current crop of permanent squad members I’d keep Carvalho, Grabban, Fig and maybe Lolley who’s been hugely inconsistent. 

The rest are either too limited or have one decent game in five. 

We have far too many defensive minded midfielders and outside of Geddy, who is massively flaky, no one creative in the first two thirds of the pitch. 

Our recruitment has been absolutely dreadful. 

I’m probably in the minority in that I wanted Karanka gone because his football was dull but also thought the playing staff was terrible as well

Yeah, there's the entertainment vs results approach.  It's a bit like when Freedman was here and we had a more conservative approach but it was effective and at the time I couldn't be doing with it.  I think you can be more fussy if you've got a proper playing staff which really boils down to having a proper recruitment system which we haven't had since Platt.  The funny thing we've had a load of people come in over the last three years to oversee signings and all of 'em have had the same scattergun approach.  I think the problem is that when you're buying freebies (outside of a marquee signing and Karanka's one must have player in Grabban), you end up with a load of players cause half of the ones you bring in need to be replaced in no time 'cause it turns out they're a bit shit.  

I even wonder if Jokanovic would have done anything with us 'cause we'd probably lose every game 4-3 with him.  

I just hope O'Neill realises how limited we are soon and that he needs to play his better players otherwise this season is going to get pretty horrible and fast and he'll be gone by May.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

I think he’s gone in May anyway. Then the next bloke will last for six months ... no doubt there will be more freebies clogging up the club. 

Once EM realises it’s going to cost him £mms to get promotion I think he will be off. 

Even if we'd spent another £50m it'd just be wasted in the usual manner - wages for a load of knackered old pros on long deals, useless chancers drifting from club to club, random waifs and strays we don't need, and paying off the contracts of all the players from the previous windows to make way for the next lot.

It's not a question of money, it's a question of competence. You can't sack the manager every year and buy a new team in every window and hope to make progress. Until we take a much much more considered approach to recruitment and squad management we're going nowhere.

Edited by Art Vandelay

14 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Even if we'd spent another £50m it'd just be wasted in the usual manner - wages for a load of knackered old pros on long deals, useless chancers drifting from club to club, random waifs and strays we don't need, and paying off the contracts of all the players from the previous windows to make way for the next lot.

It's not a question of money, it's a question of competence. You can't sack the manager every year and buy a new team in every window and hope to make progress. Until we take a much much more considered approach to recruitment and squad management we're going nowhere.

Competence was wrongly assumed. 

As you've pointed out the club, the recruitment of players has been woeful, probably for a decade or more.

Over the last ten years we've made a handful of decent signings, Antonio, Assombalonga, Earnie, Lansbury (?), Gunter, McCleary...and I went back to the 2007/2008 season. 

Despite ownership, despite manager Forest have consistently signed poor players. More often than not journeymen rubbish who have come and gone in a season or leached a living. History repeats it's self more often than not, hope at the start of the season only for it to fall apart around Christmas. 

I think I've had a season ticket for maybe 11/12 years... i genuinely can't be arsed seeing the same things happen again and again. I'm local to Villa, kids can support them ... at least they're deluded to think they're a big club, sadly there's also the chance they will see Premier league football again as I dont think i'll see Forest in the prem and I'm only 40. 

Edited by Thommo

22 hours ago, Thommo said:

Once EM realises it’s going to cost him £mms to get promotion I think he will be off. 

He knew before he bought the club...my 11 yr old Grandson knows the apple when it comes to spending at football clubs, so I'm sure that fat bubble does.