Gritty performance and 3 points. There have been a lot of games where we have come across these teams near the bottom and our slow possession based play hasn't been able to break the opposition down. With the confidence of the team pretty low and MON still getting his idea across, it was nice to see us score 3 good goals. We do need signings before the window shuts but that should give the whole squad a lift. 

What I loved today was at 2-1 up we went looking for a third. With old boring bollocks we’d have sat back and probably conceded but it was a pleasure to see us keep pushing forward. 

We will no doubt get caught out the odd time doing this but I’d rather a bit of adventure than playing cowards football. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Danny said:

What I loved today was at 2-1 up we went looking for a third. With old boring bollocks we’d have sat back and probably conceded but it was a pleasure to see us keep pushing forward. 

We will no doubt get caught out the odd time doing this but I’d rather a bit of adventure than playing cowards football. 

Was that when we pushed on to have our third shot?

You obviously missed the last ten minutes where we played safe and would have ended up drawing but for the goalkeeper. 

Norwich, Villa, Leeds, Ipswich etc...

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

Pantyman definitely made up for his mistake. I’m pretty sure he tipped the free kick onto the bar, double save on the pen and the save at the back post which was a definite goal. 

We scored three really good goals from inspiration rather than passing football to break them down. Great win but for me it’s glossing over a lot of cracks ... it was also against what I thought looked like a bang average league one side. Birmingham away will be the acid test. 

To end on a positive note it was good to see Lolley and Cash playing on their natural side, I also thought Watson played well... having threatened to turn around and go home when I saw the team. 

36 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Was that when we pushed on to have our third shot?

You obviously missed the last ten minutes where we played safe and would have ended up drawing but for the goalkeeper. 

Norwich, Villa, Leeds, Ipswich etc...

We didn’t have many shots but that was more down to a lack of quality than intent. Under boring bollocks at 2-1 we’d have shut up shop then. 

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

We didn’t have many shots but that was more down to a lack of quality than intent. Under boring bollocks at 2-1 we’d have shut up shop then. 

Like that ever happened!  Hence every fucker moaning - me included - when we kept giving leads away.  The worst of all when we were three up at Norwich and still having a go, 2 up, then one up and still didn't shut up shop. 

In America they call these kind of things 'alternative facts' where everyone runs with something as if it's true but has no basis in reality.

3 shots on target doesn't always show the whole picture. We certainly showed more attacking intent today at home than we usually do. Lolley and Cash both had good games in my opinion and if we are to do well, our wingers need to be on form. Yes Pants needed a good game and Wigan had chances, but when we are forced to play a left back at CB, a midfielder at LB and Janko (who I dont rate), the opposition will get chances. Defenders needed urgently in the next few days.

A lot of work still to be done but it wasn't doom and gloom as you'd expect reading some comments on twitter, Also looks like Keane will be joining which I think will be a welcome addition to the backroom staff. 

26 minutes ago, GupiRed2 said:

3 shots on target doesn't always show the whole picture. We certainly showed more attacking intent today at home than we usually do. Lolley and Cash both had good games in my opinion and if we are to do well, our wingers need to be on form. Yes Pants needed a good game and Wigan had chances, but when we are forced to play a left back at CB, a midfielder at LB and Janko (who I dont rate), the opposition will get chances. Defenders needed urgently in the next few days.

A lot of work still to be done but it wasn't doom and gloom as you'd expect reading some comments on twitter, Also looks like Keane will be joining which I think will be a welcome addition to the backroom staff. 

What i did like were the through balls we were trying - there were 4 or five that were a gnat's pube away from coming off.  I think with more of the same approach to games, more of those will come off. Still think Carvahlo needs to be in the middle - he can work in tight spaces and can make stuff happen. 

12 minutes ago, molymoly said:

What i did like were the through balls we were trying - there were 4 or five that were a gnat's pube away from coming off.  I think with more of the same approach to games, more of those will come off. Still think Carvahlo needs to be in the middle - he can work in tight spaces and can make stuff happen. 

Absolutely agree, Geddy was trying a few of them clever through balls which Carvalho has pulled off this season. Im hoping dropping Carvalho is a tactic from O'Neill to get the absolute best out of him because in that 10 position, we have no better. But as you say the intent was certainly there. 

Gued can be hit or miss. He was sloppy with the bulk of his play and passing, yet managed to play a sublime ball for Cash to score and followed up with his own goal. You have to take the bad with the good. 

We need a new centre half and a proven rightback. Would it be greedy to ask for a new leftback too?

A solid defence allows the midfield the wingers the confidence to move forward and cause havoc. Interesting to see what happens in the next few days, as the playoffs are still within our reach.