Interesting stats. 

We had 3 shots on target and scored from all 3, which is unusual. 

They had 7 on target and Pants saved 6 of them, which is even more unusual. 

• Haha 3

If people were moaning about the poor football played under Karanka, I would love to know what they thought of that. Too many times we just lumped the ball forward to absolutely nobody. Murphy too many times was stranded and did all he could with the poor service into him.

Despite scoring a great goal and a superb assist for Cash’s goal, Gueddy gives the ball  away too many times and was poor. 

The new lad at the back looks solid and despite a lack of minutes looks the part.

Carvalho has to come into the side!

Edited by rob_johnstoneuk

15 minutes ago, Dane B said:

Interesting stats. 

We had 3 shots on target and scored from all 3, which is unusual. 

They had 7 on target and Pants saved 6 of them, which is even more unusual. 

Pretty much all of those goals and saves were top drawer too.  Wigan are probably wondering how they didn't score three or four.

Thought we looked very ordinary today. Desperately needing creativity in midfield and more quality up front, than Murphy can offer. Grabban didn't look to sharp or content either.

Hard to argue with three points, though. 

Wigan were dreadful- one of the worst teams I've seen at our place this season. And the ref wasn't much better.

Looks like Keane is about to join. 

I know we won but I'm not very confident at the moment. He seems to leave are best players on the bench. Grabben is so much better than Murphy and I would hate him to get pissed off and then be frozen out. Same with our most creative, carvaliho. 

We beat a shit Wigan team, not confident against the better teams in this league 

Will post properly later but Pantillimon was fucking absolutely outstanding in the second half. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dane B said:

20m quid for Grabban and Carvalho, and neither get picked by MON. 

Must be sickening for Grabban. One of the top strikers in the league, dropped for a 37 year old donkey. 😂😂

I think grabban is injured. I think he's taking injections at the moment to help him through an ankle Injury, says it hurts but not enough to effect his game

51 minutes ago, molymoly said:

Wigan were dreadful- one of the worst teams I've seen at our place this season.

Shots on target Forest 3 - 7 Wigan.

We must have been absolutely shite then Moly?

Just now, Dane B said:

Our defence is shite but we know that.

Until we scored we were shocking, it was like watching Millwall without any big lumps to make it work.

Three world class goals and five world class saves mask that we need to be a lot better but then we had half of our first team on the bench and still have a completely makeshift defence.  We'll be without Colback for two games too so it'll probably get worse.

16 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Our defence is shite but we know that.

Until we scored we were shocking, it was like watching Millwall without any big lumps to make it work.

Three world class goals and five world class saves mask that we need to be a lot better but then we had half of our first team on the bench and still have a completely makeshift defence.  We'll be without Colback for two games too so it'll probably get worse.

Was at work Chaz, so didn't even get to listen to the game.

Pleased we got 3pts, but sounds very fortunate. Fortunate against a very poor Wigan?

Still massively deflated, and now hearing Keane is set to sign. What's the point? MON won't be our manager when it all kicks off again in August.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dane B said:

Was at work Chaz, so didn't even get to listen to the game.

Pleased we got 3pts, but sounds very fortunate. Fortunate against a very poor Wigan?

Still massively deflated, and now hearing Keane is set to sign. What's the point? MON won't be our manager when it all kicks off again in August.

My problem with today is that we spent all of August and half of September sorting out who was good enough and who wasn't and now we're back doing the same thing all over again.  It's like nobody at the club has said to O'Neill what has already gone on this season. 

On the positive side, Lolley played well for about the first time in two months, Pantillimon was brilliant bar a slip up for their goal, Watson wasn't shit and aside of playing hoofball for the first 20 minutes we played OK. 

If we didn't beat Wigan it would have been criminal, I didn't know how shit they were until today but they were really bad, which makes you question why our goalkeeper was bailing us out several times.  It took scoring three screamers to beat them, most games you won't score those goals and we still aren't creating any proper chances. 

At the end of the day we still haven't got enough quality, even including the players on the bench and there doesn't seem to be much sign of incoming players.  I reckon Karanka and Fatty must have had a disagreement on what was needed and Fatty thinks we've got enough quality already.  We haven't.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

My problem with today is that we spent all of August and half of September sorting out who was good enough and who wasn't and now we're back doing the same thing all over again.  It's like nobody at the club has said to O'Neill what has already gone on this season. 

On the positive side, Lolley played well for about the first time in two months, Pantillimon was brilliant bar a slip up for their goal, Watson wasn't shit and aside of playing hoofball for the first 20 minutes we played OK. 

If we didn't beat Wigan it would have been criminal, I didn't know how shit they were until today but they were really bad, which makes you question why our goalkeeper was bailing us out several times.  It took scoring three screamers to beat them, most games you won't score those goals and we still aren't creating any proper chances. 

At the end of the day we still haven't got enough quality, even including the players on the bench and there doesn't seem to be much sign of incoming players.  I reckon Karanka and Fatty must have had a disagreement on what was needed and Fatty thinks we've got enough quality already.  We haven't.

I know we won mate, but it's very difficult for me to get excited. As you say, 3 long range efforts which on another day don't go in. Nothing created in their penalty area. A very strange starting XI. Most creative player left on the bench. Mark my words Chaz, MON will not be in charge come kick off in August.

Still trying to get my head around how he got the job in the first place. I just hope he doesn't get to splash the cash on a bunch of shit Irish players before the window closes. It'll just be dead wood for the next manager to clear out as we start the sad merry go round all over again.

4 minutes ago, Dane B said:

I know we won mate, but it's very difficult for me to get excited. As you say, 3 long range efforts which on another day don't go in. Nothing created in their penalty area. A very strange starting XI. Most creative player left on the bench. Mark my words Chaz, MON will not be in charge come kick off in August.

Still trying to get my head around how he got the job in the first place. I just hope he doesn't get to splash the cash on a bunch of shit Irish players before the window closes. It'll just be dead wood for the next manager to clear out as we start the sad merry go round all over again.

He left Grabban, Carvalho and Yacob on the bench which is a bit of a concern but then I remember in August when Karanka was picking daft teams every week.  A bit of my problem with us changing managers so often is it seems to take them six months to know who needs getting out and what we need to bring in and by that time they get the boot and so we're stuck in an endless cycle of a  manager getting to know the squad, finding out who's shit and what we need and then getting replaced without finishing the job.

I'm not worried too much about him bringing players in cause I think our managers have minimal involvement in buying players and whoever we bring in will most likely be free and not that great no matter who the manager is but it helps if the manager knows what the squad needs at least so the buyers know. 

As much as I like Carvalho you get the feeling he was just a cash splash to get fans on side and I'd say he was more to do with the Greek than the manager.  Those Portuguese lads were supposed to make us do a Wolves but it turns out two of them were shit.  That Mendes didn't do it for us. 

I don't know how long O'Neill will be here, if we appointed Guardiola he'd struggle to last a year.

1 hour ago, Dane B said:

Just lacking creativity, Dane. We looked fairly comfortable but Wigan's passing was woeful. There were small bursts of attacking intent from us and we're definitely not passing back to the keeper as much, but we're screaming out for Carvalho.

I've said before but people keep making the point about grabban not starting. I'm pretty sure that he is carrying a knock at the moment and not 100% fit so him coming on off the bench isn't a massive surprise

People saying we had 3 shots on target and they all went in that won't happen every week, well your right but next week we might have 9 shots on target and none go in, you roll with the punches don't you. I'm sure MON knows we need to be more creative, and that is why one of his main philosophies at the moment is trying to pass forward as much as possible, that's one of the first things he identified- passing back to the keeper too regularly. I'm sure there are enough people around the club including the players with enough evidence to give to Martin that carvalho is one of the most creative players. When O'Neill came in he said the players told him that they felt not enough people were getting into the box and he is looking to address that and that was one of the driving factors behind going 4-4-2, okay it didn't work but he's listening to the players as I'm sure there opinions count as they are the ones seeing it from a pitch perspective every week. O'Neill has a plan and I'm sure as the dust settles from his recent arrival carvalho will be part of that plan

22 hours ago, US_RED said:

Needs to be a win, 3-1

Finally got one right, we normally lose to the crap teams so in my eyes this is a step forward.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ricknffc said:

I've said before but people keep making the point about grabban not starting. I'm pretty sure that he is carrying a knock at the moment and not 100% fit so him coming on off the bench isn't a massive surprise

Even Grabban has said this in interview but, for obvious selection reasons, says it’s not affecting his game. The fact he’s not free-scoring like a few months ago shows clearly that a striker needs to be at 100%. That last 10% is the difference between playing well and scoring regularly.

Yeah, on the plus side if anyone can get the best out of Murphy I guess it's O'Neill and keane. Today wasn't perfect at all but it was important not just in terms of the table but for O'Neill and the players

2 hours ago, Ricknffc said:

People saying we had 3 shots on target and they all went in that won't happen every week, well your right but next week we might have 9 shots on target and none go in, you roll with the punches don't you. I'm sure MON knows we need to be more creative, and that is why one of his main philosophies at the moment is trying to pass forward as much as possible, that's one of the first things he identified- passing back to the keeper too regularly. I'm sure there are enough people around the club including the players with enough evidence to give to Martin that carvalho is one of the most creative players. When O'Neill came in he said the players told him that they felt not enough people were getting into the box and he is looking to address that and that was one of the driving factors behind going 4-4-2, okay it didn't work but he's listening to the players as I'm sure there opinions count as they are the ones seeing it from a pitch perspective every week. O'Neill has a plan and I'm sure as the dust settles from his recent arrival carvalho will be part of that plan

Why play Watson then?

We won at home against a shit team at the bottom end of the league. We've been losing to shite like that this season. It's three points and onto the next game. COYR! 

• Upvote 1

Benalouane could be out for rest of season. Injury to skull worse than feared.