Sign in to follow this  
Adam

Match Thread: Nottingham Forest - Bristol City FC

2 minutes ago, GupiRed2 said:

Dire performance, won't be negative about O'Neill as he's barely had a chance to speak with his squad. 442 needs to be scrapped and Carvalho has to play. The players signed are ones suited to a 4231 formation, so I dont think it will be long before he reverts back to that.

You could play like we did under Billy with Carvalho just off Grabban, like McGugan just off Blackstock. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

You could play like we did under Billy with Carvalho just off Grabban, like McGugan just off Blackstock. 

Grabban up top with Carvalho behind him is effectively 4231. Today with a flat midfield, both Yacob and Colback didn't seem comfortable to play as a more attack minded midfielder and both spent the game sitting deep. No like to the strikers which meant we just hoofed it forward. 

• Upvote 2

My fear before the game was 442 just doesn’t work in the modern game, I didn’t say anything as I would have just got shot down due to the euphoria of the new formation! With Yacob and Colback we just got out numbered in midfield and allowed them to dominate.

But O’Neill has had 3 days with the squad, I am expecting a different side next week. If he is going to persist with 2 up top then I think he should give Appiah a go... either Grabban or Murphy need some pace up front with them so we can stretch teams. 

O'Neill hasn't had time to get to know his squad but he has to play Carvalho.  We can play badly with him but we're completely inept without him.  I wouldn't throw Appiah in until we've got our shit together.