28 minutes ago, Taylor82 said:

:lol:

There's not many of them around. And you'd be talking massive money.

That’s why I put type, like a strong ball playing midfielder as our build up play has been awful. 

Id love Ruben Neves as he’s a rolls Royce of midfielder but i can’t see us signing that kind of quality for years, maybe decades 

The priority needs to be getting people out. We shouldn't sign a single player until we've shipped 15 out. That should have been the case for the last five years but we just keep bringing in more and more. It's madness. I just had a look at O'Neill's last three seasons at Villa and the number of players who started 5 or more games for him (and this was a top 6 Premier League team) was 15,16, and 16. The last three years at Forest it's been 28, 26, and 25 :lol:

On 5/7/2019 at 2:07 PM, bestwood_red! said:

I couldn’t agree more. The way people bang on you’d think we’d been playing caviar football for the last ten years. As for people moaning about the players MON will bring in, is this opposed to the 29 stellar top class signings Karanka made? 

The idea that O'Neill will look to fill the team with a load of old cloggers doesn't even have any basis in his past record. At Leicester his midfield signings were the likes of Lennon, Savage, Izzet, Guppy, and our own Gary Parker. Then at Villa he signed the likes of Milner, Petrov, and Young. All very good signings and all young, hungry, injury-free players who played every game and formed the basis of a proper team over several years.

It's the exact opposite of what Forest have been doing for years where we sign dozens of pointless players mostly past it, uninterested, or knackered who pop in and out an ever changing team as one disappointing season drifts into the next. Yet some people are talking as though the complete opposite is true. Most odd.

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Upvote 1

Apart from Lolley and Carvalho I'd not be disappointed to see anyone go. 

The reasons I'd not trust MON in the market are because he's been out of club football for so long and out of second tier football for even longer. I look at the way Norwich have done it...brought in good foreign players at a fraction of the cost of domestic based ones and have huge doubts MON would even consider that market nevermind choose wisely from it. 

I mean he used the old line of the winter weather as a genuine reason for not picking Carvalho for about 15 consecutive games for fucks sake. 

10 hours ago, Thommo said:

That’s why I put type, like a strong ball playing midfielder as our build up play has been awful. 

Id love Ruben Neves as he’s a rolls Royce of midfielder but i can’t see us signing that kind of quality for years, maybe decades 

Neves' idol is Pirlo. Neves basis his game around the Italian. Not a bad player to aspire to. Pirlo was absolutely world class.

49 minutes ago, Thommo said:

We are assuming he has a say in who comes in though. 

If we use educated guesses I'd say its about half and half. Half the signings are either 'suggested' or just plain signed without the managers say so (Ansarifard, Carvalho, Dias etc) whilst others seem to involve the manager's input more like Yacob, Byram, Grabban. 

13 hours ago, Savo said:

The reasons I'd not trust MON in the market are because he's been out of club football for so long and out of second tier football for even longer. I look at the way Norwich have done it...brought in good foreign players at a fraction of the cost of domestic based ones and have huge doubts MON would even consider that market nevermind choose wisely from it. 

I agree totally but it's not like it's O'Neill holding us back from signing great young players from abroad. We've never done that under any manager. We have signed a lot of players from abroad recently though - they were Vellios, Kasami, Periquis, Dimitru, Lam, Teixera, Bentdnar, Lica, Fuentes, Stojkovic, those Greek guys, Goncalves, Dias, Soudani.  That's what we do without O'Neill.

He might not 'do a Norwich' but I really don't think he'll do worse than that!

Edited by Art Vandelay

56 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I agree totally but it's not like it's O'Neil holding us back from signing great young players from abroad. We've never done that under any manager. We have signed a lot of players from abroad recently though - they were Vellios, Kasami, Periquis, Dimitru, Lam, Teixera, Bentdnar, Lica, Fuentes, Stojkovic, those Greek guys, Goncalves, Dias, Soudani.  That's what we do without O'Neil.

He might not 'do a Norwich' but I really don't think he'll do worse than that!

I'm not too sure what type of player MON will bring in, or in fact, what players will be brought in for him, but you know I have been in agreement with you regarding our recruitment policy, Art.

Regardless of manager, we will not go up whilst we are signing mediocre players by the score every season. The club need to address this issue. As a fan, I'd much rather we brought in two quality players who would make a difference on the pitch, as opposed to letting a manager do a supermarket sweep, ala Karanka, and end up with a squad of 40 players, most of whom could leave and we wouldn't bat an eye lid.

This has been Forest's biggest failing over the past 5 years or so. Again, I'll say it, QUALITY NOT QUANTITY.

• Upvote 1

I think Forest’s biggest failing has been squad rotation meaning players don’t gel & learn each other’s play inside out. Even average teams do better when they’re a familiar unit.

Edited by durham red

O'Neill has an excellent track record.  As much as he infuriated me with his refusal to pick his best team here for two or three months I hope he's got enough about him to know by now what needs to be done. He seemed to figure it out by the end of the season.

I don't see why he couldn't get us up, the same as I didn't see why Karanka couldn't get us up, given the chance to do it.  

Like everyone is saying, he needs to get shot of a whole load of players and once that's done, if the money is there, bring two or three quality players in.  

What we have right now is easily good enough for a top six finish, it just needs streamlining with a bit of quality adding.  That's all.  

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

On Facebook the official NFFC feed has wished Liam Bridcutt a happy birthday. I'd forgotten he was still here....yet another example of the numbers here that need shipping out. 

23 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

O'Neill has an excellent track record.  As much as he infuriated me with his refusal to pick his best team here for two or three months I hope he's got enough about him to know by now what needs to be done. He seemed to figure it out by the end of the season.

I don't see why he couldn't get us up, the same as I didn't see why Karanka couldn't get us up, given the chance to do it.  

Like everyone is saying, he needs to get shot of a whole load of players and once that's done, if the money is there, bring two or three quality players in.  

What we have right now is easily good enough for a top six finish, it just needs streamlining with a bit of quality adding.  That's all.  

Spot on.

• Upvote 1

A couple of cheap wins against teams who - like us - had nothing to play for and the awful team selections and awful results are quickly forgotten 

no way on earth will MON get us up his outdated approach - he has been on the wain for the last 8 years and is a spent force 

Edited by E R
  • Upvote 1