1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Actually feel relatively positive about this.

I'm warming to it Art, but still have a niggly feeling that this appointment is a "face saver" by EM after disposing of the services of Karanka.

I really do hope it works out for MON. Like Pearce, I want to remember MON as a Forest legend on the pitch, and not just another in a long list of shit managers.

I'm reading this morning that Keane is almost certain to join him. That is the downside for me. I really do not like that bloke. That tackle on Haaland still gripes with me.

8 minutes ago, Dane B said:

I'm warming to it Art, but still have a niggly feeling that this appointment is a "face saver" by EM after disposing of the services of Karanka.

Judging by how quickly Marinakis gets rid of Olympiacos managers I’m not sure he’s in the business of face saving. In general I don’t think he gives two fucks and demands success. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Warming to the idea of O'Neill. If you ignore his international record with a poor Ireland team, he's done well. Not sure about Keane, I wonder who he'd bring in instead? 

Chippers interviews should be interesting. 

He took that poor Ireland team to a major tournament and got them through the group stage. How many times have they achieved that in their history? 

29 minutes ago, Danny said:

Judging by how quickly Marinakis gets rid of Olympiacos managers I’m not sure he’s in the business of face saving. In general I don’t think he gives two fucks and demands success. 

Agreed

1 hour ago, A new man said:

He took that poor Ireland team to a major tournament and got them through the group stage. How many times have they achieved that in their history? 

Yes, just read that he got them out of a group with Italy and belgium in. I was just going on the irish fans wanting him out - forgot he did well initially.

Sold on o'Neill, not so on Keane. 

As an Irish fan, I'll throw in my view on it.

The Irish public- but probably moreso the pundits over here (who fuel the fans!), a bit like Forest fans, have a tendency to like passing football played on the ground (Liam Brady, John Giles would be fairly established pundits over here). We had this to an extent when O'Neill and Keane first came in, but as players retired, the system changed to be more "Karanka-esque" in terms of making us hard to beat first and foremost, and looking to score on the break. 

The footballers we lost, the likes of John O'Shea and Richard Dunne, were replaced by Richard Keogh and Ciaran Clarke, while up front we lost Robbie Keane who was never replaced (thus making it more important to not concede, as we had no natural goalscorers to put away the chances we did get). In the qualifying campaign just gone, our most prolific scorer was probably James McLean, which gives you an idea of the level we were at- it also should be mentioned that in the Qualifiers for the WC we didn't get through - we actually made the playoffs, finishing higher than our seeded place (we were third seed and finished second).The fact we were playing boring, limited football, the media were on MONs back, and the crowds began to drop off were what forced him out. There were glimmers of change coming with a few younger players beginning to come through, but i think it was too little too late.

With the squad we have, you can expect we will still be looking at one up top a lot of the time, but i do think we have more talented players generally. The one thing that might irk some, is that MON has quite a hands off approach to training - he believes it is the players job to work out what needs to be done for set pieces etc, but also puts a lot on them to empower themselves to be creative. I think as has been mentioned before, the modern day footballer (especially the British/Irish) can struggle with this as they don't necessarily have the innate ability to get by on talent alone, but where there is a willingness to take things by the scruff of the neck, you will see players stand up to this and really get behind MON.

I was apprehensive when i first heard of the appointment, mainly based on the Irish side of things, but then with a limited pool and no ability to strengthen in areas you are weak in with International football, I think not too much focus can be put on the failure towards the end of his Ireland career.

Keane, I think, will be more of a divisive figure, especially as he has quite a no nonsense approach, but with our dressing room notoriously lacking in discipline over the last number of years, it will at least make for interesting times!

Also don't be surpised if we sign James McLean- MON is something of a father figure to him, and McLean would run through broken glass for him.

18 hours ago, EMX said:

Bit of a surprise appointment, but MON doesn't have the worst CV. Casting him as a dinosaur manager might be a little unfair, he's an articulate man who has generally managed smaller clubs/underdogs. 

He did a great job at Wycombe, then Leicester. He is one of Celtic's best ever managers. For all that his reign at Villa has been tarred since he left, he made them consistently the 6th best team in England. He may be rubbish here, but it's not like we're appointing a one-hit wonder. Most of the clubs MON has managed have been better for having him as their manager. 

Agree.  His reign at Villa was tarred really because Lerner didn't give him the funds that he was promised so he walked out.  Bad timing only a few days prior to the season starting but I think Villa fans do hold MON in high regard and are grateful for his time at the club.  He played some really good stuff with them and Leicester.

I'm happy he's here and will give him time but I'm hoping beyond hope that he hasn't been scarred to much by his RoI experience and can get back to his philosophy and style before he was in that job.

Hopefully as well, he'll get a reaction from the players and we get a few wins which may build momentum.

1 hour ago, Padzer said:

Also don't be surpised if we sign James McLean- MON is something of a father figure to him, and McLean would run through broken glass for him.

The Brexiters on here will love that 🤣

Hearing that O'Neill was second/third choice. Jokanovic was first choice and met the owners face to face. A financial package was agreed but he wanted control of transfers, which is something the club didn't want to give him. 

Make of that what you will.

1 hour ago, Caz said:

Hearing that O'Neill was second/third choice. Jokanovic was first choice and met the owners face to face. A financial package was agreed but he wanted control of transfers, which is something the club didn't want to give him. 

Make of that what you will.

Source?

Danny Taylor and John Percy both state Jokanovic wanted four times the salary of MON.

37 minutes ago, Ben said:

Source?

Danny Taylor and John Percy both state Jokanovic wanted four times the salary of MON.

He will be getting a healthy pay off from Fulham so I can imagine his salary demands would have been pretty excessive. 

5 hours ago, David said:

Yes, just read that he got them out of a group with Italy and belgium in. I was just going on the irish fans wanting him out - forgot he did well initially.

Sold on o'Neill, not so on Keane. 

And beat Italy and world champions Germany along the way.

Let's remember his striker options were limited mainly to the retiring Murphy and Shane Long who scores once every two years.

Ireland are shit but not because of O'Neil, sometimes over coaching thick fuckwits is excessive information overload. 

From the reactions towards this appointment both on this forum and elsewhere I'd say that he is very much a " MARMITE " choice ..   Got to say that my own initial reaction was of being completely underwhelmed  , but upon giving it further consideration I really don't know what to think .................................

I have a feeling he's going to do well and surprise us all. Can't be any worse than we've had in the last 10 years 

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Source?

What information would you give to the press in this case; that he wanted too much money or that the owner & directors want to bring in their own signings? 🤔

I read that his demands were eye watering.  It's common knowledge that any transfers will be set up by that fella they bought in to oversee transfers in this window.  Either or both versions could be true.  I doubt the transfer thing would be a problem to most managers as long as it isn't forced on them without their knowledge while they're already in the job. 

57 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I read that his demands were eye watering.  It's common knowledge that any transfers will be set up by that fella they bought in to oversee transfers in this window.  Either or both versions could be true.  I doubt the transfer thing would be a problem to most managers as long as it isn't forced on them without their knowledge while they're already in the job. 

The interference of EM worries me. He's been at it since Fawaz was here and has signed off on bringing  in some absolute dross. I hope that Anigo has some good connections to help on that side of things. 

Edited by Caz
  • Upvote 1

tbh............fuck knows how he'll do.

I was thinking he'd given up managing (or clubs had given up on him) and gone into punditry.

When was his last job as manager?

13 minutes ago, Fatles said:

tbh............fuck knows how he'll do.

I was thinking he'd given up managing (or clubs had given up on him) and gone into punditry.

When was his last job as manager?

Just a few months ago....