Sign in to follow this  
Danny

Karanka has gone

1 minute ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Cause Marinakis is evern more impatient than our fans who would usually sit through a poor run of four games before demanding the manager's head.

It depends how much reliability you place on paper talk but it appears that Marinakis’ dissatisfaction wasn’t just with recent results. According to at least two articles I’ve read (one probably borrowed from the other) there was a general distaste for the style of football and also Karanka’s reluctant to use the likes of Appiah more. 

This does have a worrying similarity to when Birmingham sacked Rowett... look where that left them for the rest of the year.

However from the games I have seen this year it was clear to see that against expansive football our style was effective. As soon as we came up against teams who sat back we lacked the creative nouse/ finishing to put those games to bed. Put that alongside Karanka's inabilty to change his style in anyway shape or form I personally feel we would not have made the playoffs this year. Did he deserve more time? the answer is he could have argued his corner and said yes he did deserve more time. But it is clear to see that the current owners want promotion as quick as possible. 

Going forward I think whoever comes in will struggle to buy anyone with the time that is left in the month. Will we see the end of the likes of murphy and co?  Who knows maybe the next manager might give the youngsters a shout. I would like to see someone with an attacking style of football to come in and make the most of  Carvalho, lolley, dias, goncalves etc etc and hopefully push us on for the rest of the season. Even if we don't get playoffs this year just to entertain the fans would be nice.

7 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Cause Marinakis is evern more impatient than our fans who would usually sit through a poor run of four games before demanding the manager's head.

My main worry is that Marinakis might think that it's just as easy to get success in English football as it was for him in Greece. If true, he's wildly off the mark.

To be fair to him though, Chaz, he kept faith in "6 at the back Aitor" for much longer than I thought he would. I even read that the club were going to sack Karanka after the Norwich game. They even had a statement prepared, but decided against it and to try and work with Karanka instead. 

3 minutes ago, sideways passing said:

This does have a worrying similarity to when Birmingham sacked Rowett... look where that left them for the rest of the year.

Going forward I think whoever comes in will struggle to buy anyone with the time that is left in the month.

Birmingham’s issue wasn’t necessarily sacking Rowett, although that was a daft decision, but in appointing Zola. Whether sacking Karanka turns out to be a good idea will largely hinge on whoever comes in.

As for transfers, there’s still almost 3 weeks of the window left. By the sound of things people other than Karanka played a significant role in recruiting players and reportedly the reason why Anigo has come in is to get more deals over the line. I think we’ll be fine in this regards. 

1 minute ago, Danny said:

As for transfers, there’s still almost 3 weeks of the window left. By the sound of things people other than Karanka played a significant role in recruiting players and reportedly the reason why Anigo has come in is to get more deals over the line. I think we’ll be fine in this regards. 

Why would any decent manager want to come to a club who are just going to buy players who you don't want?

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Daz said:

Given our track record with managers, how about we appoint this one on a 6 month contract initially (like wolves did with Lambert)

We should appoint someone who is available and who can give promotion a good go, but who is to say someone better might not be available in the summer

I know that is the ultimate short termist approach but look at some of the awful managers we've appointed mid-season recently

Which decent manager wants to come on a 6 month contract though? Basically saying 'here's the job if you don't get us up you can fuck off' not really backing a manager is it. Would be a breath of fresh air if we actually did some good research on a manager and picked the right one for this club and the style of football we want as a club and have the attitude of ' your going to be our manager with a contract of 3 years, we will back you and support you through thick and thin, give it your all'

14 minutes ago, Danny said:

It depends how much reliability you place on paper talk but it appears that Marinakis’ dissatisfaction wasn’t just with recent results. According to at least two articles I’ve read (one probably borrowed from the other) there was a general distaste for the style of football and also Karanka’s reluctant to use the likes of Appiah more. 

I'm sure he was more furious that his dodgy signings weren't getting a game.

10 minutes ago, Dane B said:

My main worry is that Marinakis might think that it's just as easy to get success in English football as it was for him in Greece. If true, he's wildly off the mark.

To be fair to him though, Chaz, he kept faith in "6 at the back Aitor" for much longer than I thought he would. I even read that the club were going to sack Karanka after the Norwich game. They even had a statement prepared, but decided against it and to try and work with Karanka instead. 

We'll never know what has gone on 'cause Forest have a gagging order on ex managers.  We all know that summat went on at Ipswich and that led to this.  I'd wager Aitor was fucked off with the meddling and lined up another job for himself and buggered off. 

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

6 minutes ago, sideways passing said:

Why would any decent manager want to come to a club who are just going to buy players who you don't want?

The model we seem to be operating under is largely the norm in Europe. It’s not one I particularly agree with but I’m sure there’s plenty of managers who’ll take the job regardless. 

Jardim's CV is quite impressive in ligue 1. Comes across as a Diego someone kind of character though- very volatile. Maybe it would be the most unlikely of perfect partnerships him and marinakis, jokanovic I think would be a decent appointment promotions with Watford and Fulham and very good attacking play along the way. O'Neill's also got short odds, he's been that long out the English game though I can't say I know what he would bring to us

Edited by Ricknffc

So rumour is Mourinho is going back to Madrid and Aitor will be number two.... number two at real madrid or manage forest? He also asked to be released and there's no compo for madrid to pay us. 

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

The model we seem to be operating under is largely the norm in Europe. It’s not one I particularly agree with but I’m sure there’s plenty of managers who’ll take the job regardless. 

Did you see the interview with Sarri re the Pulisic transfer? Was asked an opinion but wasnt told he was being signed. I think it's more and more common now. Solsjaer wont be signing players for himself this January and I bet Emery doesnt have much of a say. 

Just now, Thommo said:

Did you see the interview with Sarri re the Pulisic transfer? Was asked an opinion but wasnt told he was being signed. I think it's more and more common now. Solsjaer wont be signing players for himself this January and I bet Emery doesnt have much of a say. 

I think with the short-term outlook football takes these days having someone who’s taking a longer-term view with things like transfers is understandable. 

15 minutes ago, Ricknffc said:

Which decent manager wants to come on a 6 month contract though? Basically saying 'here's the job if you don't get us up you can fuck off' not really backing a manager is it. Would be a breath of fresh air if we actually did some good research on a manager and picked the right one for this club and the style of football we want as a club and have the attitude of ' your going to be our manager with a contract of 3 years, we will back you and support you through thick and thin, give it your all'

Maybe we could do United, and bring back a goalscoring legend to hold the baby for the rest of the season? Silenzi as head coach with Jason Lee as his assistant? 

Thought it was interesting that two-time European champions, sitting just outside the Championship play-off spots, with a manager formerly a Champions League winner as a player with Real Madrid, and with track-record of having gotten a team promoted from this division previously...not a dicky-bird on the Sky Sports football home page. Not one mention. Nowt. And they say football media is London-centric...nonsense, eh. 😑

4 minutes ago, OBE said:

Thought it was interesting that two-time European champions, sitting just outside the Championship play-off spots, with a manager formerly a Champions League winner as a player with Real Madrid, and with track-record of having gotten a team promoted from this division previously...not a dicky-bird on the Sky Sports football home page. Not one mention. Nowt. And they say football media is London-centric...nonsense, eh. 😑

The fact we’ve sacked a manager is pretty much passé these days. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ricknffc said:

Despite everything can't help feel a tiny bit excited when a new manager is on the horizon especially in a transfer window

I'm already excited about the next two managers.  After this one.

• Like 1

Ha I know Chaz, I'm spending the night getting drunk trying to put a positive spin on it, it's done now and let's be honest a lot of our fury is due to our emotions with fawaz's hiring and firing. So far the club under marinakis has been like night and day with fawaz and karanka hasn't officially been sacked, he's walked and with his history at Boro you have to say karanka might not be as innocent as you think. It's under no doubt that the club were fine with him leaving and basically karanka jumped before they had to force him to but so far the club on the whole have been good. I just hope they use due diligence to appoint a coach that will get the best from our squad, someone with a passion to see us succeed and use our assets, as much as I didn't want karanka sacked you can't help think the squad have more in them in an attacking sense. Fingers crossed (again) at least we have a foothold in the league a win tomorrow would do very nicely while a new manager is sorted to keep us ticking along. I hope marinakis can sort us with a manager that can get our squad onside very quickly and enjoy his philosophy.

Edited by Ricknffc

All the idiots slagging off the Greeks for forcing him out are gonna look stupid when he turns up at Madrid aren’t they?

I don’t get why people are slagging the owners off when he left. It doesn’t make sense. Karanka left us but somehow the club has let him down? I’ve been on twitter this afternoon and it’s like a day of mourning on there, it’s hilarious. I feel sorry for people under 18 who think this is the best we’ve ever had it. Someone said we play the beat football in the league 😂

1 minute ago, bestwood_red! said:

I don’t get why people are slagging the owners off when he left. It doesn’t make sense. Karanka left us but somehow the club has let him down? I’ve been on twitter this afternoon and it’s like a day of mourning on there, it’s hilarious. I feel sorry for people under 18 who think this is the best we’ve ever had it. Someone said we play the beat football in the league 😂

I found the whole thing strange.  They appointed a new man above Karanka, something went on within a day or two of that happening, then instead of sacking him - as that's obviously what they wanted to do, they just peddled a media campaign undermining him for a few weeks.  It's a bizarre way of carrying on and the only reason it doesn't match anything under Fawaz is that Fawaz wasn't smart or cunning enough to carry something like this out.

At least they stopped short of blowing up his house.