Adam

Match Thread: Norwich City - Nottingham Forest

I don't want him sacked. I don't see the point. We're in touch of the play offs and if we are there at the end of the season I'd say that's a very successful one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brooksy said:

I don't want him sacked. I don't see the point. We're in touch of the play offs and if we are there at the end of the season I'd say that's a very successful one. 

Do you have any firm hope that we will be in there? 

24 minutes ago, Danny said:

Do you have any firm hope that we will be in there? 

Personally I believe if we stick with him we will make play offs

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, darcy said:

Personally I believe if we stick with him we will make play offs

More hope than I do then mate. I’ve never been full convinced by him and our latest run of performances have done little to change that. Either way I think the Millwall match will decide his fate. 

We have good players in our squad but as a group, they seem to lack attitude and ambition. Where are the leaders on the park, driving their teammates on till the final whistle?

We go 2-0 up at Villa Pk inside 6 mins and instead of trying to neutralise the game and slow the tempo, we allow Villa back into it. Our game management is arseways. We go 3-0 up at Norwich with 13 mins to go and any side with the right team mentality would see out the win - but not Forest.

The Norwich players have that winning attitude in spades. They recently played at Blackburn and played poorly by all accounts, yet scored a late winner and left with 3 pts. Likewise with Leeds, who`ll keep plugging away and grind out a win in stoppage time, because of the collective belief among the group. Maybe that`s why Leeds and Norwich are leading the way, while Forest are back in their mid-table comfort zone in 10th. 

Will be surprised if Ansarifard didn't get extra minutes against Millwall, maybe even start. Rumour has it that he's proper pissed with his lack of playing time and constantly being overlooked. 

This won't go down well with Marinakis, who made the deal happen by releasing him on a free to allow him to sign for us.

Karanka is on very thin ice.

6 hours ago, Caz said:

Will be surprised if Ansarifard didn't get extra minutes against Millwall, maybe even start. Rumour has it that he's proper pissed with his lack of playing time and constantly being overlooked. 

This won't go down well with Marinakis, who made the deal happen by releasing him on a free to allow him to sign for us.

Whilst I am no fan of Karanka, he should be able to pick whoever he pleases on match day without fear of retribution for not picking an owner favourite. 

That is of course if he's not asked for him (and perhaps Tachtsidis) and then decided to not play them. That's different.

Who knows really, we're all speculating. What I do know is that we have signed 2 players with international experience at prime ages and neither can get in a struggling team. So someone somewhere has fucked up.

Well, that was hard to believe..... I don't think the brain to body ratio is a particularly accurate measure of intelligence and I don't really believe the food thing either :thumbsdown_anim:

1 hour ago, Savo said:

Who knows really, we're all speculating. What I do know is that we have signed 2 players with international experience at prime ages and neither can get in a struggling team. So someone somewhere has fucked up.

Only thing creating this struggling team is the defence (Until Dawson and Fig starting playing together but that lasted 2-3 games). Up front Grabban is on fine form and he formation is finally working. Given we have two defensive midfielders it shows how bad the defending must be to concede as many as we do still.

1 hour ago, bryan said:

Only thing creating this struggling team is the defence (Until Dawson and Fig starting playing together but that lasted 2-3 games). Up front Grabban is on fine form and he formation is finally working. Given we have two defensive midfielders it shows how bad the defending must be to concede as many as we do still.

Grabban scored nearly 20 goals for Sunderland last season but you wouldn’t say their formation was working. Grabban is that good he’ll always score goals. 

8 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

Grabban scored nearly 20 goals for Sunderland last season but you wouldn’t say their formation was working. Grabban is that good he’ll always score goals. 

He hasn't scored for a few games now. He's very close to being shit again! 🤓

10 hours ago, Caz said:

He's off for an international competition soon. 

50 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

I think he scored 12 for Sunderland and the rest were in the second half of the season on loan at Villa but you are right if he gets chances he will score anywhere

every Karanka team is set up to stop the opposition scoring rather than to go for the win hence why we are normally better away than at home. 

Edited by E R

40 minutes ago, E R said:

every Karanka team is set up to stop the opposition scoring rather than to go for the win hence why we are normally better away than at home. 

I keep reading this same thing written by a lot of people but I can't see any evidence of it at all.  Take Boxing Day, we were still going toe to toe away to the top of the table team when we were 3-0 up, 3-1 up and 3-2 up.  Where we're ineffective is when teams decide to park the bus, we look completely clueless mostly as Cunny says, we've got no pace to get beyond those teams.  I don't see any evidence of us being a negative team, it's complete horse shit.  Often we aren't very good but it isn't because we sit in our half all game.

50 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I keep reading this same thing written by a lot of people but I can't see any evidence of it at all.  Take Boxing Day, we were still going toe to toe away to the top of the table team when we were 3-0 up, 3-1 up and 3-2 up.  Where we're ineffective is when teams decide to park the bus, we look completely clueless mostly as Cunny says, we've got no pace to get beyond those teams.  I don't see any evidence of us being a negative team, it's complete horse shit.  Often we aren't very good but it isn't because we sit in our half all game.

It's O'Driscoll all over again. Give the man the season. Don't agree with all the baying for blood. Been to most games this year, it is better than ive witnessed over the past 3 or 4 seasons. Not brilliant all the time but moving in the right direction. 100% with you on this one, Charlie. Can't believe we're considering sacking another manager at this time of year... again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've been critical of Karanka and expected he would have us in a much poorer position than he has. For once there is clear progress albeit not as may have been hoped for by many, so what harm giving him the rest of the season and 15 games next to see just where we go. If we can be a team five or six points better off in 12 months timethan we are now  then surely that's where we need to be and would count as success by giving a Manager time. 

That said Karanka frustrates and I may have a different opinion altogether if we slip adrift of the top ten, which is a pretty realistic proposition.

“We” are not sacking anyone - the man who has pumped about 50 million into the club thinks we should be doing better and some of us agree with him 

47 minutes ago, legs_akimbo said:

I've been critical of Karanka and expected he would have us in a much poorer position than he has. For once there is clear progress albeit not as may have been hoped for by many, so what harm giving him the rest of the season and 15 games next to see just where we go. If we can be a team five or six points better off in 12 months timethan we are now  then surely that's where we need to be and would count as success by giving a Manager time. 

That said Karanka frustrates and I may have a different opinion altogether if we slip adrift of the top ten, which is a pretty realistic proposition.

Yes progress, but is it acceptable? How many Forest Manager's had a similar opportunity as Karanka? He's had half of last season to restructure the side with relatively minimal interference or pressure, the financial backing and freedom to purchase the players wanted, a maturing Youth Academy that is producing talented youngsters, and then a league where there is no dominate teams. Isn't it realistic to expect a play-off position as a minimum? Other managers with little or no transfer money have succeed or currently challenging for a play-off or automatic promotion place with less. Why can't the Chairman and Fans honestly expect the same?   

19 minutes ago, nemesiz said:

Yes progress, but is it acceptable? How many Forest Manager's had a similar opportunity as Karanka? He's had half of last season to restructure the side with relatively minimal interference or pressure, the financial backing and freedom to purchase the players wanted, a maturing Youth Academy that is producing talented youngsters, and then a league where there is no dominate teams. Isn't it realistic to expect a play-off position as a minimum? Other managers with little or no transfer money have succeed or currently challenging for a play-off or automatic promotion place with less. Why can't the Chairman and Fans honestly expect the same?   

I'd like more, I'd kind of expected more at the beginning of the season and expected less once we had played a dozen or so games and we were pretty wank. If we finished the season 3 points off a top six finish I'd take that. If however we slip away from the top 6 and out of the top 10 then yeah it would seem pointless to keep him on.

As it is I am just about swayed by the thoughts of doing something we haven't done for donkeys years and giving the Manager time....not quite in the Charlie Cheswick nor the Dane camp either.

56 minutes ago, legs_akimbo said:

I'd like more, I'd kind of expected more at the beginning of the season and expected less once we had played a dozen or so games and we were pretty wank. If we finished the season 3 points off a top six finish I'd take that. If however we slip away from the top 6 and out of the top 10 then yeah it would seem pointless to keep him on.

As it is I am just about swayed by the thoughts of doing something we haven't done for donkeys years and giving the Manager time....not quite in the Charlie Cheswick nor the Dane camp either.

You're exactly in my camp, nothing has happened so far where you'd say he's doing brilliantly but when I look at other clubs who've had success it generally seems to happen in the second year so I'm in the camp of suck up all of the mixed bag that we are at the minute and see where we go. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, E R said:

“We” are not sacking anyone - the man who has pumped about 50 million into the club thinks we should be doing better and some of us agree with him 

Make your mind up sir.  You are spearheading bipolar offensive. At least Charlie has nailed his colours to the mast.  If we do well you love us, if we lose it's sack the manager.

I have made my mind up - I think we will lose as we struggle with balls into the box and I would like to see the manager replaced as watching most homes games is on a par with getting a boil lanced.

but it will ultimately be down to the owner and if he thinks he is getting value for his money from Karanaka and I suspect he doesn’t at the moment