Adam

Match Thread: Nottingham Forest - Queens Park Rangers

10 minutes ago, Dane B said:

And rightly so, Thommo. It's been a long time since we were in shouting distance of the play offs at Christmas. Unfortunately for him, it's not the crowd who have funded him to the tune of £20m+. It's not the crowd who want a return on that investment. It's not the crowd who pay him a handsome salary. And it's not the crowd who make the decision on if he stays or if he goes.

I know but it normally starts off in the stands and spreads to the boardroom. 

FWIW ... can’t see getting sacked this season 

We were atrocious today. Not one clear cut chance all match. Even if we by some surprise get a result away at Norwich it will count for little other than to play catch up on the points not gained against Preston and QPR. 

Osborn is never a left winger. He’s a decent centre mid and that’s about his lot. That we had Cash on the bench whilst Osborn started was beyond me. Whilst it was interesting to see Karanka finally get a bit adventurous having three forwards on the pitch together for much of the second half it counted for fuck all as we created nothing. 

A word on the QPR fans - cunts. Some idiot thought it’d be a laugh to throw a handful of coins into the Bridgford End at full time. As usual the doilems masquerading as stewards did sod all about it. I hope whoever it was gets run over on his way home. 

We are still yet to go on a run under Karanka. Each time he looks like he's got us into a good competitive side we go into meltdown 

Have you ever seen a season with the top two sides losing 3-4 matches each? Normally at this point you'd notice two or three prominent teams dominating the league, but this season it is totally different. Strangely we're seeing the majority of clubs and their managers adopting 4-5-1 or a similar defensive formation packing the midfield. Not only is it damaging the quality of play, but with the subpar referring, slightly smaller pitches, it is getting frustrating for the fans to watch most games. Yesterday, and the Preston match were prime examples where both sides sat back awaiting for a critical error and attempt to capitalise on the mistake.

Both QPR and Preston matches emphasize Karanka's continual insistence to play similar tactics away from home and at the City Ground is undesirable and counterproductive. When an opposition pack the midfield, or play negatively, Karanka need to adapt and find an appropriate solution. What we're seeing though is a consequence of inconsistency of his management style. For the first time in years we've got the calibre of players that can not only exploit the width via the counterattack, but also create centrally, and break down stubborn defences (and midfield). Unfortunately too much emphasis and demand is left on the lone target and striker Grabban. Maybe it's time for a tactical or strategic re-think (and most of the fans have stated this), otherwise the early momentum and confidence will disappear.          

You can tell he’s mates with Mourinho.

I haven’t been to a game since September and I’ll be honest I don’t miss it at all. Walking across Trent Bridge knowing that I’m going to be bored to fuck for the next two hours. Like that Boro fan said to me when he was appointed “he’ll probably get you promoted but he’ll suck the joy out of it”. 

For the record I don’t want him sacked before anyone starts I just can’t abide his style of football. It’s so slow and ponderous, set up to not lose rather than set up to win. Also his transfer record outside of Grabban, and possibly Gueddy and Yacob, is terrible. 

Someone yesterday said the team is still gelling, he’s had nearly a full season of league games plus two transfer windows, £30m and brought a whole squad of players. I dread this January, we shouldn’t be signing anyone. 

We play far too slow against teams that just sit back and aim to play on the counter. A few things really pissed me off today. A LB starting CB, a RB starting LB and a CB on the bench. Whats the point in having players out of their favoured positions? Geddy ahead of Yacob, how many times did Geddy lose the balls or give stupid fouls away around our area, shock they scored from a set piece which Geddy had given away. Why play Osborn at left wing when we have Cash and Dias on the bench, offers nothing as a winger. When trying to change the game on 50 mins he brought 2 strikes on and got rid of our wingers. We were left with no width whatsoever.

In the 90 mins the keeper had 1 save to make. Thats 3.5 games without a goal now and 1 point out of a possible 9. Bitterly disappointing, especially going into a hard run of games.

7 minutes ago, GupiRed2 said:

We play far too slow against teams that just sit back and aim to play on the counter. A few things really pissed me off today. A LB starting CB, a RB starting LB and a CB on the bench. Whats the point in having players out of their favoured positions? Geddy ahead of Yacob, how many times did Geddy lose the balls or give stupid fouls away around our area, shock they scored from a set piece which Geddy had given away. Why play Osborn at left wing when we have Cash and Dias on the bench, offers nothing as a winger. When trying to change the game on 50 mins he brought 2 strikes on and got rid of our wingers. We were left with no width whatsoever.

In the 90 mins the keeper had 1 save to make. Thats 3.5 games without a goal now and 1 point out of a possible 9. Bitterly disappointing, especially going into a hard run of games.

I agree with this.  Osborn, Guedioura, not playing Robinson at left back... there were things that made us look a lot better including our full backs being great every week, our midfield two giving the opposition nothing and allowing our front four a free run at our opponents.  When you play Osborn that immediately takes an attacker out of the equation as he's too cautious, Janko is alright at LB but all of his final balls are shit and I'd have taken Guedioura off before anyone else for the reasons you said. 

Keep it simple and we'll score lots of goals, have random team selections and we'll lose because we're too slow to attack, don't attack well as a team and will concede because we keep giving sloppy set pieces away. 

2 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I agree with this.  Osborn, Guedioura, not playing Robinson at left back... there were things that made us look a lot better including our full backs being great every week, our midfield two giving the opposition nothing and allowing our front four a free run at our opponents.  When you play Osborn that immediately takes an attacker out of the equation as he's too cautious, Janko is alright at LB but all of his final balls are shit and I'd have taken Guedioura off before anyone else for the reasons you said. 

Keep it simple and we'll score lots of goals, have random team selections and we'll lose because we're too slow to attack, don't attack well as a team and will concede because we keep giving sloppy set pieces away. 

I thought Geddy was terrible as well, he spent most of the game in centre back and full back trying to hit Hollywood cross field balls. I know Yacob is more defensive but he occupies the middle and actually passes forward in a simple manner. 

As for Robinson at CB, Hefele has been so poor recently I’d have done the same. 

According to Nixon on Twitter Karanka has a list of targets and wants to make changes, lets see if he’s backed. Will be an interesting sign as to what the owners think of his performance so far. 

List of targets? He should be allowed a goalkeeper and another left back and that’s it. Since he’s been here he’s brought: 

2 goalkeepers

3 centre backs 

3 full backs 

6 central midfielders 

4 wingers 

3 strikers 

He can shove his list up his arse. He wanted all these players now make do and don’t drag us in to any FFP bullshit. 

Guedioura is unfairly criticised when he has a poor game. He is one of a select few players in our side who drives the team forward. He's always looking to get the team going and provide the team with attacking emphasis. Sometimes, even playing badly he can catalyse the side into getting something. For all his bad points yesterday, he was the only player who came close to scoring. 

Colback, on the other hand, is praised for his risk-averse, sideways-passing, although admittedly pretty contribution. He makes as many dangerous fouls as Gueddy does. Personally, I'd like to see Guedioura holding the midfield on his own in home matches, or else playing higher up while Yacob holds on his own. 

23 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

List of targets? He should be allowed a goalkeeper and another left back and that’s it. Since he’s been here he’s brought: 

2 goalkeepers

3 centre backs 

3 full backs 

6 central midfielders 

4 wingers 

3 strikers 

He can shove his list up his arse. He wanted all these players now make do and don’t drag us in to any FFP bullshit. 

Spot on. Karanka is a cheque book manager though and clearly only has one way of operating. Here's a thought Aitor why don't you coach your players and make the right selections first...?

Bestie is right when he says he doesn't miss it. I haven't been this season and I too can't abide the way he sets up at home. 

1 hour ago, bestwood_red! said:

2 goalkeepers

3 centre backs 

3 full backs 

6 central midfielders 

4 wingers 

3 strikers 

Pretty sobering looking down that list. Of the 21 players brought in I wonder how many we’d consider to have been a success. 

2 hours ago, bestwood_red! said:

2 goalkeepers

3 centre backs 

3 full backs 

6 central midfielders 

4 wingers 

3 strikers 

Okay where is the Partridge in the Pear Tree?

He could buy 20 for each spot - he is still ultra defensive and that is how he starts every game. Let’s be honest we know why he picked Osborn it is because he will drop back and defend with Janko 

No manager would bring off 2 wingers and bring on 2 strikers who thrive on balls in the box

he lucked out a bit for a few games and people on here get over excited but he has shown what he really is of late. Still he will always have the honour of being the manager who lost at home to QPR and the manager who despite the best backing of any Forest manager ever who still shits his fucking pants at home and plays 9 in defence and 2 up front

my bet is that 6pm on the 1st January our owner will have had enough of this sulky mourinhinio mark 2 and he will be gone 👍

Edited by E R
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I'd take Mourinho part II, eight league titles and a couple of European Cups.  Not bad for someone who gets slated all the time.

Chaz, may I ask you just what you see in Karanka?

OK, we are just out of the play offs, a position that is pretty alien to us at this time of the season, but I'd put that more down to the investment the owner has made, rather than the tactical genius of Karanka.

What do you see that others don't, mate?

15 minutes ago, Dane B said:

Chaz, may I ask you just what you see in Karanka?

OK, we are just out of the play offs, a position that is pretty alien to us at this time of the season, but I'd put that more down to the investment the owner has made, rather than the tactical genius of Karanka.

What do you see that others don't, mate?

An open mind is all I'm going with.

When I've been down to the ground we've played very well and very badly but there tends to be a balanced opinion about that.  Like you say we're just outside of the play offs, we aren't the only team which has had money spent on it, we aren't anywhere near as bad as the forum regulars on here would have you believe.  I don't go on any other forums but I'm assuming this is far more negative than any other. 

Other things.  Example 1, 2 defensive midfielders = nonsense.  We all know that's bollocks but people run with it 'cause they want to beat the manager up.  Example 2, adding ten million on to the transfer spend in order to beat him up.  Example 3, saying the manager is super defensive when he just isn't.  Example 4, He's bought in 48 players or whatever the claim is when we've got a squad of 25.  Example 5, Checkbook manager.  The point is any manager that wants to win and any manager that does have success spends money bar maybe one or two like Eddie Howe.  Forest didn't win 2 European Cups by spending less than everyone else.  You get the general point, if people spout endless bollocks I'm happy to counter it.

Go through this thread and you won't find anything from me apart from complaints about the performance and team selection.  What I'm not going to do is take each bad game as proof that Karanka is an idiot because I haven't got that bias. 

32 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

An open mind is all I'm going with.

When I've been down to the ground we've played very well and very badly but there tends to be a balanced opinion about that.  Like you say we're just outside of the play offs, we aren't the only team which has had money spent on it, we aren't anywhere near as bad as the forum regulars on here would have you believe.  I don't go on any other forums but I'm assuming this is far more negative than any other. 

Other things.  Example 1, 2 defensive midfielders = nonsense.  We all know that's bollocks but people run with it 'cause they want to beat the manager up.  Example 2, adding ten million on to the transfer spend in order to beat him up.  Example 3, saying the manager is super defensive when he just isn't.  Example 4, He's bought in 48 players or whatever the claim is when we've got a squad of 25.  Example 5, Checkbook manager.  The point is any manager that wants to win and any manager that does have success spends money bar maybe one or two like Eddie Howe.  Forest didn't win 2 European Cups by spending less than everyone else.  You get the general point, if people spout endless bollocks I'm happy to counter it.

Go through this thread and you won't find anything from me apart from complaints about the performance and team selection.  What I'm not going to do is take each bad game as proof that Karanka is an idiot because I haven't got that bias. 

Fair play to you mate. You've criticised when the performance(s) have deserved it, and you've given him credit when it's been warranted. ........and you've kept the same stance all season.

Me? I just fucking hate his brand of football. Said it all season, and haven't changed my stance. Contrary to what you believe mate, I don't think he's got a cat in hell's chance of getting us a top 6 finish. I don't even think we'll be top 10 on 2nd Jan. But I do respect your opinion, Chaz, and those of others who think Karanka is the man. I don't slag them off, even though I take a bit of slagging for criticising him, but hey ho, that's what keeps Forums ticking over. For me, I'm just looking forward to the tables turning and Mourinho having to console Karanka. 😂😂 If Marinakis wants promotion this season, he's got the wrong manager to achieve that goal.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Dane B said:

Fair play to you mate. You've criticised when the performance(s) have deserved it, and you've given him credit when it's been warranted. ........and you've kept the same stance all season.

Me? I just fucking hate his brand of football. Said it all season, and haven't changed my stance. Contrary to what you believe mate, I don't think he's got a cat in hell's chance of getting us a top 6 finish. I don't even think we'll be top 10 on 2nd Jan. But I do respect your opinion, Chaz, and those of others who think Karanka is the man. I don't slag them off, even though I take a bit of slagging for criticising him, but hey ho, that's what keeps Forums ticking over. For me, I'm just looking forward to the tables turning and Mourinho having to console Karanka. 😂😂 If Marinakis wants promotion this season, he's got the wrong manager to achieve that goal.

I don't know whether it'll turn out well or not, just waiting to find out.

All of us have got excited at a manager joining at one point or other and none have worked out.  There is no guarantee and unless things are woeful it makes no sense chucking one out.

I used to berate our managers until I coached myself and realized I wasn't that good.  Basically, I don't know as much as I think I do.  With Karanka I think he's doing ok, not spectacularly but it's ok.  When we chop and change managers we tend to get worse rather than better.  I think sticking it out through thick and thin this season to see where we end up is a good thing to do.  If we finish tenth he'll be gone and rightfully so after he's had a free run of putting the team together.  If we get into the top six he'll deserve another crack imo whichever division we're in. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

When we chop and change managers we tend to get worse rather than better.  I think sticking it out through thick and thin this season to see where we end up is a good thing to do.  

I agree with this. Not a Karanka fan but I'm less of a fan of sacking managers every single season. We've not had a manager start and finish a season since BD in 2010-11. That has to change at some point because it obviously isn't working. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, A new man said:

I agree with this. Not a Karanka fan but I'm less of a fan of sacking managers every single season. We've not had a manager start and finish a season since BD in 2010-11. That has to change at some point because it obviously isn't working. 

This is my stance too. Only thing we haven't tried since last getting to the play offs is keeping a manager in for a whole season!