Ben

Platt

Not sure if anyone here listens to the Reservoir Red Dogs Podcast but Tank was on it last week. He gave some insight into Platt's time and basically said he was 10 years ahead of everyone else in terms of training and techniques etc. The players loved him and Tank believes it would have come good the following season. 

No surprise but he said Megson was a prize cunt.

30 minutes ago, Ben said:

Not sure if anyone here listens to the Reservoir Red Dogs Podcast but Tank was on it last week. He gave some insight into Platt's time and basically said he was 10 years ahead of everyone else in terms of training and techniques etc. The players loved him and Tank believes it would have come good the following season. 

No surprise but he said Megson was a prize cunt.

Gave it a listen a few days ago and was also going to start a thread about it.

I was too young to remember it properly under Platt - was it really that bad? Apart from the three italians, were there any other terrible signings? I seem to remember he signed the likes of David Johnson, Jack Lester and Riccy Scimeca so wasn't all bad? Was very surprised to hear the players were gutted when he left and enjoyed his sessions etc as I've always just assumed he was a complete and utter dud.

I think a lot of people still blame him for our current predicament as he spent a lot of money and didn't get us up. I think that is unfair. He still wasn't great though. Not the worst manager we've had in the last 20 years by any stretch of the imagination, but the most vilified. 

The cod eyed one was 18 years ahead of his time, we're still in the same division!

From where I was as I was still a regular during his time here, it all seemed a bit up in the air with some really daft results. I also recall Johnno couldn't score for toffee in the first season here. As for those soppy italians! He pent a fortune on them, in fact he spent so much money on crap like Mikel fucking Beck & Gary Jones the carthorse, when Platt finally done a runner to the U21's, we were financially in the shit. It pissed me off no end that we had a great partnership in Huckerby & Robbie Blake & couldn't afford either of them.

Edited by i.k.s

I seem to remember the football being pretty poor. A lot of long ball and being 'solid' which made us a pretty decent away team but bang average at home. Seem to remember going down to watch us play Huddersfield at home. Think it may have been Andy Reid's debut (up front) actually and it was a full house because it was only a tenner to get in and they did us 3-0. They were bottom of the league at the time.

His signings were decent bar the Italians...but it wasn't him who got the best out of them. Scimeca, Johnno, Harewood, Brennan and Lester were all better under Paul Hart. 

Best thing he probably ever did was being in loans using his contacts like Terry, Wright and Olsen.

I too listened to the podcast and thought it was interesting. I tend to enjoy the ones with the more modern players even though they generally focus on bad times as I can remember them and I find it interesting to find out what Platt, Megson etc were like...as if i needed confirmation.

Thought Rogers came across as s bit of a muppet though to be honest. And by the end of it his thick Scouse accent was doing my head in, as was Matt Forde's fake worship of him.

Edited by Savo

13 minutes ago, Savo said:

I seem to remember the football being pretty poor. A lot of long ball and being 'solid' which made us a pretty decent away team but bang average at home. Seem to remember going down to watch us play Huddersfield at home. Think it may have been Andy Reid's debut (up front) actually and it was a full house because it was only a tenner to get in and they did us 3-0. They were bottom of the league at the time.

His signings were decent bar the Italians...but it wasn't him who got the best out of them. Scimeca, Johnno, Harewood, Brennan and Lester were all better under Paul Hart. 

Best thing he probably ever did was being in loans using his contacts like Terry, Wright and Olsen.

I too listened to the podcast and thought it was interesting. I tend to enjoy the ones with the more modern players even though they generally focus on bad times as I can remember them and I find it interesting to find out what Platt, Megson etc were like...as if i needed confirmation.

Thought Rogers came across as s bit of a muppet though to be honest. And by the end of it his thick Scouse accent was doing my head in, as was Matt Forde's fake worship of him.

Matt Forde tends to label anyone who played for Forest as 'Phenomenal'. I'm sure he said this about Eoin Jess in this podcast  😂

Rogers was probably the only player to play well under Platt. Those must have been the best two seasons of his career, although considering what he achieved after that, that's not saying much. But to claim it would have come good the following season is one of the most stupid things anyone has ever said about Forest. Or anything.

If it wasn't for having the good fortune of one of the few organisations in football less competent than Forest taking him off our hands it would have ended in one of two ways - the sack or relegation. Probably both.

Platt was utterly woeful and of all the dubious chancers we've been saddled with down the years he's the absolute worst.  Anyone defending that arse has forgotten what it was actually like. Every single thing we've moaned about on here over the last few years was even worse under that twat. It was a different team and formation every week and often changing several times during the same game, bizarre team selections always with at least two players out of position, senior players frozen out, massive squad, awful signings, millions wasted on players we didn’t need, long contracts for knacked old players, nearly everyone underperforming, disorganised and clueless, just a total shambles in every way. Two decades on and we never recovered from Platt's ruinous two years.

The first season under David Platt was woeful, but considering the calibre players available after the disastrous season in the Premiership it was understandable the team struggled. Senior and loan players left, or were long term injured, the reserve side were too young or inexperienced, so it left the manager a skeletal squad to start the season. Yes he had the parachute payments, but this was the period that foreign players were at a minimum, and talented English players commanded a premium as emphasized by the Riccardo Scimeca transfer. Yes he wasted millions on the Italian quartet - Patrachi, Matrecano, Manini, and Merino but some of the transfers like Scimeca, Stern John did come good. It was key injuries, at the very worst times which decimated our chances, Matrecano, Ben Olsen (2000-2001) and Robbie Blake (2000) for example. Unfortunately our finances, and overheads BEFORE the relegation were crippling the club and impacted on our future transfers (i.e. Robbie Blake).  

Also many fans don't know the extent of the shenanigans of various boardroom battles, contractual difficulties, Doughty liquidity problems, Bank loans and their restrictive stipulations, and Council negations over the new Stand which were never common knowledge. Of course this exclude the financial implication of the PTV and especially the ITV Sponsorship deal which impacted heavily on the Championship clubs a year or two later! Unfortunately this was period of turmoil that the club never fully recovered.     

Edited by nemesiz

Platt spent a lot of money for the time and if you look at that squad now you have to wonder how he spent any money at all. 

You mention Scimeca Nemisiz, only a complete lunatic would have spent that money on him because he just wasn't very good.  Then you have the Italians who were completely useless and the master stroke was that those were people that Platt apparently knew were good. 

After the diabolical way in which he wasted our last big transfer kitty we still had to contend with his fuckwitted tactics.  Like having Bart-Williams constantly getting done as the last man of defence because his reputation made him think he was Beckenbauer when really he was just Chris Bart-Williams. 

If he'd just bought in a competent cb, midfielder and striker, played in a way which wasn't baffling and not been such a general cunt I'm sure it wouldn't have been so bad.

Like most of Platt's business Scimeca was a poor signing. Three million on a central defender was a huge investment anyway but especially when we really needed a centre forward and still had Chettle and Hjelde who'd been a pair good enough to win the title 15 months earlier plus we'd signed Mannini, Matricano, and Tony Vaughan, Christian Edwards was still there, I think Jesper Matson was still hanging about, Cartlon Palmer could play there, Terry came in on loan, a 37 year old knackered Colin Calderwood came in on a three year deal and imediately got injured for ever.

I bet I've forgotten a few but that's eleven central defenders and we still regularly played Bart-Williams there. I can remember Scimeca playing on the right wing with future regular championship goalscorer Andy Gray  playing full back behind him and Bonalair in centre midfield. I don't remember what happened to Louis-jean. He must have been up front.

Those two seasons were so bizarre they make Forest from the the last few years look like a sensible well run club. Even thinking about David Platt is making me angry. Like a terrible experience you'd blocked out for years and then someone brings it all flooding back. I'm blaming you for this Ben :axehead:

Edited by Art Vandelay

Alan Rogers was our top scorer in his first season with 9 league goals. Then sweeper turned forward Bart-Williams top scored second season. 

He fucked Chettle off to Barnsley in his first season. I think we had Upson on loan at some point too. He brought Andy Johnson in who wasn’t a bad signing but like all Platts signings he looked shit at first. 

Ben Olsen was probably the only real entertainment. He was either really good or really shit but always entertaining. I can remember a two footer to someone’s back who was in a tangle on the floor being quite good. 

14 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Rogers was probably the only player to play well under Platt

I think you speak sense mostly fella, but he probably wasn't. 

5 hours ago, i.k.s said:

I think you speak sense mostly fella, but he probably wasn't. 

'mostly'?:huh: I'd say Rogers was pretty the only one to consistently play to his full potential under Platt. Maybe Lester and the odd loan signing....

9 hours ago, bestwood_red! said:

I think we had Upson on loan at some point too. He brought Andy Johnson in who wasn’t a bad signing but like all Platts signings he looked shit at first.  

David Johnson B) He was a decent player but I don't think you can say he was a good signing either really. Over three million ( a few weeks after we couldn't afford the 300k for Robbie Blake) for one great season, several disappointing ones, and left on a free.

Yeah Upson was here for a bit. He played one match - in midfield. 

Edited by Art Vandelay

19 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Rogers was probably the only player to play well under Platt. Those must have been the best two seasons of his career, although considering what he achieved after that, that's not saying much. But to claim it would have come good the following season is one of the most stupid things anyone has ever said about Forest. Or anything.

If it wasn't for having the good fortune of one of the few organisations in football less competent than Forest taking him off our hands it would have ended in one of two ways - the sack or relegation. Probably both.

Platt was utterly woeful and of all the dubious chancers we've been saddled with down the years he's the absolute worst.  Anyone defending that arse has forgotten what it was actually like. Every single thing we've moaned about on here over the last few years was even worse under that twat. It was a different team and formation every week and often changing several times during the same game, bizarre team selections always with at least two players out of position, senior players frozen out, massive squad, awful signings, millions wasted on players we didn’t need, long contracts for knacked old players, nearly everyone underperforming, disorganised and clueless, just a total shambles in every way. Two decades on and we never recovered from Platt's ruinous two years.

That's pretty much how i remember it.

12 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

'mostly'?:huh: I'd say Rogers was pretty the only one to consistently play to his full potential under Platt. Maybe Lester and the odd loan signing....

David Johnson B) He was a decent player but I don't think you can say he was a good signing either really. Over three million ( a few weeks after we couldn't afford the 300k for Robbie Blake) for one great season, several disappointing ones, and left on a free.

Yeah Upson was here for a bit. He played one match - in midfield. 

Andy Johnson the midfielder. We brought him for £2.5m, long hair and liked a tackle. 

I gave you the benefit of doubt that that you just got the name wrong but Andy Johnson was a Bassett signing and was part of the promotion team from two seasons before :nerd: I was going to let them go but I might as well deal with these as I'm correcting errors......

On 12/11/2018 at 7:17 AM, nemesiz said:

Yes he wasted millions on the Italian quartet - Patrachi, Matrecano, Manini, and Merino

Merino was nothing to do with it. He was Spanish and joined Forest as a kid a year or two before Platt arrived.

On 12/10/2018 at 4:06 PM, i.k.s said:

. It pissed me off no end that we had a great partnership in Huckerby & Robbie Blake & couldn't afford either of them.

They never played together as Blake left a couple of years before Huckerby arrived. Blake had a good partnership going with Jack Lester. Huckerby played with Johnson and Harewood.

This is poor. I don't want to have to be going through all the posts like the forum teacher. Sort it out guys. Must do better :thumbsdown_anim:

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I gave you the benefit of doubt that that you just got the name wrong but Andy Johnson was a Bassett signing and was part of the promotion team from two seasons before :nerd: I was going to let them go but I might as well deal with these as I'm correcting errors......

Merino was nothing to do with it. He was Spanish and joined Forest as a kid a year or two before Platt arrived.

They never played together as Blake left a couple of years before Huckerby arrived. Blake had a good partnership going with Jack Lester. Huckerby played with Johnson and Harewood.

This is poor. I don't want to have to be going through all the posts like the forum teacher. Sort it out guys. Must do better :thumbsdown_anim:

+1

I suppose since getting relegated from the Premier League we've had so much shit and so many awful managers the bad memories all just tend to mish-mash together.

Without doubt him and Megson are our two worst managers - recently, if not ever. Neither of them had any real redeeming factors.

Two years before we appointed Platt, we won the division easily scoring loads of goals (with PvH and Campbell both ending amongst the top scorers) and hardly conceding any. Because for some inexplicable reason we chose to sell Campbell to Turkey even though he didn't want to go, and Bassett didn't want to sell him, PvH also decided to go on strike as he wanted to leave being promised the team would be strengthened not weakened. Losing Cooper to Boro was also a blow however we also had Chettle and Hjelde still at the club.  And the club decided to try and replace the goals lost from PvH (though he did come back but never really fitted in with the team after) and Campbell with Neil Shipperley (rofl), Freedman (who actually ended up top scorer), and Darcheville (unproven and had just seen his family die in a car accident in France) unsurprisingly it didn't work. And though there were the odd big reversals that season (5-1 v Liverpool, not to mention that Man U game) the defence was mainly solid enough and would have been fine if we'd been scoring goals, so most games were lost 1 or 2-0 and we went down. (In hindsight it was probably a bad idea sacking Bassett though it was sensible at the time, as the long term plan would mean that - knowing you're not going to stay up and more crucially that no-one is going to save it having the best manager at the time for keeping sides up - you have a proven manager at winning promotion again if you do get relegated.)

So Platt comes in, and ... signs defenders. When we still have the bulk of the first choice defence from the title winning side at the club as well as Matthieu Louis-Jean. Unsurprisingly the 3 italians are shit, and Riccy Scimeca was decent for a season under Hart but not worth 2.5m, and there goes the money... Jim Brennan plays well against us in the league cup for Bristol City so we sign him when we already have Tank who was one of the best left backs in the division... Platt then plays him in midfield - the one thing which worked because he did well enough there. But still no strikers (though we got Ian Wright and Mikkel Beck on loan). We sign Jack Lester later in the first season... because he played well against us for Grimsby. At some point he also strikes it lucky getting in  Robbie Blake who played well with Lester, Platt wants to sign him but ND wouldn't and then later spends 3.3m buying David Johnson apparently for Michael's birthday present... costing more than Blake would have done.

Two seasons playing in midtable, no tell tale signs things may improve, all the money gone, and with it the chance of a quick return to the Prem.

6 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

oh yeah lester. 🙄

18 minutes ago, Ben said:

Blimey, there's a poster from the past ^^

I've always been here - just didn't have much to say which hadn't already been...