E R

Match thread : Nottingham Forest v Stoke City

Tough game - we never fair well against bully teams

I reckon 1-1 with 3 shots or under on target from the home side and Stoke having more of the play particularly in the second half.

Millwall mark 2 where we will just about hang on

• Confused 1

Stoke's last 3 away results...

Norwich 0 - 1 Stoke

Sheff Utd 1 - 1 Stoke

Bristol City 0 - 1 Stoke.

Might not be as easy as some of you think.

1-1 draw I reckon

4 hours ago, GupiRed2 said:

2-0

What you think both of our shots on target will go in? 😂

it would be nice if James McClean gets a nice reception for refusing to wear a poppy 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46095169

He is brave to stand up for his beliefs which seemingly even his own fans are not happy about 

whilst I am aware of the fact that the republic stayed out of the war (and even had links to the III reich) - I am sure McClean was born in the English part or Ireland so god knows what’s upset him? You would think being born British and plying his trade in England he would at least acknowledge the efforts of his British brothers and heritage in the 2 wars? 

4 hours ago, E R said:

What you think both of our shots on target will go in? 😂

it would be nice if James McClean gets a nice reception for refusing to wear a poppy 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46095169

He is brave to stand up for his beliefs which seemingly even his own fans are not happy about 

whilst I am aware of the fact that the republic stayed out of the war (and even had links to the III reich) - I am sure McClean was born in the English part or Ireland so god knows what’s upset him? You would think being born British and plying his trade in England he would at least acknowledge the efforts of his British brothers and heritage in the 2 wars? 

See the extracts from below from this article: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/why-james-mcclean-doesnt-wear-poppy-west-brom-remembrance-poppy-appeal-a8037391.html

"McClean was born and brought up in city of Derry, in Northern Ireland. He grew up on Creggan estate, where six of the people killed on Bloody Sunday in 1972 came from.

Bloody Sunday was one of the most significant events of The Troubles conflict in the country, when British soldiers shot 28 unarmed civilians during a peaceful protest march.

McClean objects to wearing the poppy because the symbol commemorates military personnel who have died in war – and not just soldiers who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars."

In 2015, McClean explained his stance in the West Brom matchday programme.

“People say I am being disrespectful but don’t ask why I choose not to wear it,” McClean wrote.

“If the poppy was simply about World War One and Two victims alone, I’d wear it without a problem.

“I would wear it every day of the year if that was the thing but it doesn’t. It stands for all the conflicts that Britain has been involved in. Because of the history where I come from in Derry, I cannot wear something that represents that.”

So his stance is nothing about Ireland staying out of the World Wars, it's about not wanting to be seen as supporting British troops who shot at unarmed Irish civilians.

Myself, I wear a poppy with pride every year. But I can see and respect why someone with McLean's background would feel unable to do so without betraying their heritage.

I would urge fans not to disrespect this player's beliefs by booing him today, not only would this show a lack of class but it would probably just wind him up to play better against us.

Edited by H-Block
  • Upvote 2

I used to get dead mad about McLean but now each to their own. He’s got his beliefs and other people have theirs, live and let live. It’s not like he’s burning the poppy he’s just refusing to wear one. 

As long as he respects the minutes silence, which I’m certain he will, then McClean is entitled to his own views so fair fucks to him. 

As for the result - 2-0 to the good guys. 

Pantilimon, Darikwa, Figueiredo, Dawson, Robinson, Colback, Guedioura, Cash, Carvalho, Lolley, Grabban

Subs: Steele, Osborn, Janko, Yacob, Dias, Ansarifard, Hefele.

nice to see karanka sees a prettu regular starting 11. I imagine fox would have been in for dawson if fit and dias and cash are interchangeable depending who we play. Yacob is probably going to be the man slipping in for colback, but other than that is pretty much the basic line up, also darikwa must be doing something in training to keep janko out

22 minutes ago, Ricknffc said:

nice to see karanka sees a prettu regular starting 11. I imagine fox would have been in for dawson if fit and dias and cash are interchangeable depending who we play. Yacob is probably going to be the man slipping in for colback, but other than that is pretty much the basic line up, also darikwa must be doing something in training to keep janko out

Darikwa has been playing very well to be fair.  Could be just a coincidence but he found himself back in the team at exactly the same time as Janko was linked with a load of other teams in the media. 

Only decent football was in the last few seconds

Awful- just awful to watch and how that cock Pantilimon is still on the pitch is beyond me