Sign in to follow this  
Dane B

Match Thread: Leeds United - Nottingham Forest

The things that concern me are some of the decision making in games from highly paid professionals. Mainly the incessant hoofing of the ball when under no pressure into the opponents half and straight back to their defenders. Even before we took the lead we were doing this and it’s a basic coaching bugbear of mine.

Behind every kick of the ball there should be some thought and purpose, teaching promising  footballers  at 13 not to aimlessly lump the ball 50 yards is a rudimentary skill, to see Forest do this like yesterday so often makes me despair. I coach kids under 16 at County level and if they employed some of the tactics Karanka does I would be pulling my hair out. Perhaps he was too, but it’s his job to get them playing with a different approach. This is why I can’t warm to Karanka and why I can’t see a promotion push without an improvement in playing style. We have still yet to string together two consecutive very good performances. Despite yesterday being defensively solid the attacking phases of play were scrappy, disjointed and lacked vision and purpose.

Darikwa is and will remain a liability, his off the ball movement, lack of positional sense and crude defending style are going to cost points over the course of a season. Figureido isn’t far behind him, which makes yesterdays defensive display all the more surprising and yet welcome at the same time.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Savo said:

It's having a balanced view. Rather than complete red-tinted bias.

Savo , I find your post deeply ironic .. You are so negative towards anything Forest that I sometimes wonder why you bother at all .. Therefore your view can hardly be described as " balanced ".🙄.. Nothing personal mate , just my opinion ..

• Upvote 1

I’m not a fan of darikwa as he gives the ball away so much but must admit he threw himself in front of so many Leeds crosses yesterday. Carvalho is a little too lightweight for games like yesterday. Him and Dias got knocked off the ball easily in situations where they could do something with the ball.

2 hours ago, bryan said:

I’m not a fan of darikwa as he gives the ball away so much but must admit he threw himself in front of so many Leeds crosses yesterday. Carvalho is a little too lightweight for games like yesterday. Him and Dias got knocked off the ball easily in situations where they could do something with the ball.

I think Leeds identified Carvalho and Lolley as the men most likely to cause them trouble and didn't give them an inch.  Good tactics on their part as we did nothing without them.

1 minute ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I think Leeds identified Carvalho and Lolley as the men most likely to cause them trouble and didn't give them an inch.  Good tactics on their part as we did nothing without them.

I thought lolley was very poor yesterday,worse ive ever seen him play..even when he had a shot in second half he should of cut in more instead of hugging the line,then grabban would of put him thro onto goal..

16 hours ago, colin said:

Savo , I find your post deeply ironic .. You are so negative towards anything Forest that I sometimes wonder why you bother at all .. Therefore your view can hardly be described as " balanced ".🙄.. Nothing personal mate , just my opinion ..

I just call it as it is. 

If the manager plays negative anti-football, I say so.

If the opposition plays better than us, I say so. 

If the referee has a mare but it's a mare that actually favours us, I say so.

26 minutes ago, Savo said:

I just call it as it is. 

If the manager plays negative anti-football, I say so.

If the opposition plays better than us, I say so. 

If the referee has a mare but it's a mare that actually favours us, I say so.

To be fair, when we play well you don't say so.  It's usually, we just got lucky or some other bollocks.  It's almost as if you're willing us to do badly to prove your point Deano style.

1 hour ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

To be fair, when we play well you don't say so.  

Probably because it's not that often we play well Chaz.

5 hours ago, Savo said:

it still winds me up how badly the club has been run and how badly the team has been managed. And still is largely.

I'm with you on that one. It's alright making small steps in the right direction but if I don't see it because I've dozed off in my seat through boredom or fucked off back to the pub then it's not helping matters is it.

We must be doing summat right.

Yep. Spending the thick end of 30m quid to be as good as QPR and Brum. Surely doing summat right there Chaz. In fact, we've even won 2 games less than QPR.

Nothing will convince me that we are as good under Mr Negative as we could be under a manager with a more positive game plan.

Still, maybe when Derby rip us a new arsehole in December, some might take off their rose tinted specs and see that Mr Negative is the only negative at the club at the moment.

People talking about Leeds like they are Barcelona. Yes I would have took a point before the game but there was no need to let them completely dominate us. Some seem to be talking like we are privileged to be on the same field as them! 

We have spent more money, have a higher wage bill and our manager has been here longer than ours so I don’t get people saying they are more advanced than us and are in better shape than us. 

Looking at rhe first 11 of each team I would probably have three of theirs in our team. 

I think our defence did well but it’s either the six of front of them all had a bad day at the office or it’s how they are told to play that we comceded so much possession and the defence can be as good as they want, letting the opponents have the ball so much and inviting them on will eventually lead to the inevitable. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dane B said:

Yep. Spending the thick end of 30m quid to be as good as QPR and Brum. Surely doing summat right there Chaz. In fact, we've even won 2 games less than QPR.

Nothing will convince me that we are as good under Mr Negative as we could be under a manager with a more positive game plan.

Still, maybe when Derby rip us a new arsehole in December, some might take off their rose tinted specs and see that Mr Negative is the only negative at the club at the moment.

Should we rip Derby a new arsehole will you get on board then?  Nah.  I'm sure if we finished ten points clear at the top people would still say it's despite him.  Cemented minds and all that.  Anyway, I think a top six finish is what we should get this year, is that not good enough no?  Once the season is over not before November. 

I'm not convinced by the Karanka being a negative manager thing.  He plays a posession game, same as loads of teams do which is technically either attacking or defensive depending on how well you play.  Like Warburton (your man) but with forwards passes as well as sideways and backwards.  I know some of you aren't into the continental style but the negative tag is bollocks imo. 

4 hours ago, Dane B said:

On the spending - do you think the money has been spent well? In my opinion, the Portuguese lads have not really made any impact at all.

Carvalho has made little impact, Dias has been average and goes missing far too much and the other one Goncalves has disappeared off the face of the planet along with Yacob and Tactsidis 

It was a decent point but let’s be honest it was backs to the wall defending, we created nothing and the best we could ever hope for was to hold out for a 1-0

Edited by E R

Played two sides in the top two away this month and got four points.  It aint good enough though.

Only at Forest.

I’m sort of with you. By no means am I Karanka’s biggest fan but 4 points against the top 2 is nothing to be sniffed at, especially considering how we walloped Bolton in between the two to give us 7 points from a possible 9 away from home. 

Should we rip Derby a new arsehole will you get on board then? 

That would make me feel better, and possibly start to tip the scales the other way. Let's wait and see eh mate.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Danny said:

I’m sort of with you. By no means am I Karanka’s biggest fan but 4 points against the top 2 is nothing to be sniffed at, especially considering how we walloped Bolton in between the two to give us 7 points from a possible 9 away from home. 

I'm open minded on Karanka.  The fact is he's had two seasons at this level and got into the top six both times.  That to me says it's worth seeing how it pans out.  The last game I went to was Millwall and we were all saying that we've been picking points up without looking overly convincing half of the time.  But we keep picking points up and after about ten years of shit in a row we were all happy to take that.

As for our signings and who's worth the money?  Carvalho, can be brilliant or go missing but looks to be our most creative player.  Grabban, definitely looks worth £6m.  Soudani, who knows yet?  Lolley is an absolutely steal.  I'm missing about £8-9m, who else did we buy?  I'm assuming the likes of Dawson, Colback, Watson, Steele, Guedioura, Janko, the other Portuguese lads, all those midfielders we've never seen, etc are on loan or didn't cost anything. What about Robinson, Pants and Hefele? 

Considering what most 'competitive' squads have cost, I don't think we're big hitters.  We've got one expensive player, one moderately expensive striker, that's it.

Carvalho £12m

Soudani £2m 

Grabban £6m

Figgy £2m 

Pantyman £1m? 

Heff 0.4m 

Everyone else was a freebie I think

Edited by Thommo