E R

If Karanka goes who would you like to see to take over?

I have seen quite a lot of people say that the reason we should stick with a Karanka is because there is no one better available - so I wondered who you would like to see if the owners make the decision to get rid of Karanka 

For me i I would get Allardyce - imo he could get this team out of the division and has done so on a number of occasions at other clubs on a similar budget 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/16/aitor-karanka-middlesbrough-sacked-tactics-clashes-players 

“As grudges festered results declined to the point where Boro have gone 10 league games without a win, scoring only three goals during that run.”

All-round relations had been deteriorating for some weeks, months even, with the new year seeing Karanka turning on fans for shouting “attack, attack””

“Resisting repeated calls to field two strikers, he persisted with one up front, resulting in a litany of draws and one of the division’s best defensive records. In reality the system itself was not so much a problem as his rigid, low-risk interpretation of it, which often left Negredo isolated and led to his team-mates being censured for attempting to “mix things up” by sometimes unleashing long, early balls.”

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

I wouldn’t sack him but he’s starting to get right on my tits. 

After reflection, neither would I. I’d had one too many bottles 😂

But he does need to change his ways because his negative tactics will be his downfall. He will be gone within the next couple of months if he persists with two holding midfielders. 

2 minutes ago, nottmred said:

But he does need to change his ways because his negative tactics will be his downfall. He will be gone within the next couple of months if he persists with two holding midfielders. 

I'm not 100% sure the hold mids are the issue - the position of the three in front of them yesterday was terrible. They offered very little support for Watson and Colback - they were far too wide when we didn't have the ball and this just let Brentfod run riot in the midfield. I think it was a tactical problem - ultimately that lies with the manager. He addressed that somewhat in the second half - but we stil didn't look particularly dominant. I feel sorry for Murphy - he takes some shit from the stands, but he is getting nothing to feed on.  Karanka has to sort this out - or I fear this is going to be a very long seaon... again.

I don't like the two holding midfielders but he will persist with it. The only way it's gonna work is if he selects the right players in those positions. Watson and Colback are practically clones of one another. We've looked alright with either Guerdiora or Bridcutt in there. 

Two holding midfielders isn't a problem, it's the fact that neither of the ones that played yesterday offer anything else.  Take Bridcutt the other night, he covered every inch of the midfield breaking play up and tried to play the ball forward when he won it.  Or Guedioura who's always looking to do something with the ball.  Our trouble is Colback and Watson are a pair of sideways Sammys. 

Anyway, for now, stick.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

29 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Two holding midfielders isn't a problem, it's the fact that neither of the ones that played yesterday offer anything else.  Take Bridcutt the other night, he covered every inch of the midfield breaking play up and tried to play the ball forward when he won it.  Or Guedioura who's always looking to do something with the ball.  Our trouble is Colback and Watson are a pair of sideways Sammys. 

Anyway, for now, stick.

100% agree with you Chas .. Colback and Watson do not compliment each other because we lack any forward momentum ,drive and pace when they are paired together .. If Karanka persists with them he will be the author of his own downfall .Preferably he should play either Pep , Bridcutt or Yates with Colback ...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nottmred said:

It’s so frustrating as, unlike previous seasons, you actually feel as if we have a squad capable of doing well. You can’t help but think they’re being held back by the cautiousness of Karanka’s approach. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Agree 100% Chaz. Our problem is that we have a knob head who persistently picks the wrong DM pairing. A blind man could see they didn't work against Brum, so the fucking idiot starts them against Brentford. That's our problem mate............the manager.

I know you all have a pop at me for wanting rid of him, but give it time, you'll all come round to my way of thinking soon.

4 hours ago, nottmred said:

Paul Cook or Dean Smith for me.

I'd like to see what either of them could do with our squad, Luke. Better than Karanka me thinks.

Ultimately, it's not our choice of when/if he goes, and who will replace him. I dare say the Bubble is already working on a replacement.

If he goes I think we will get someone from Europe not someone from the EFL. 

I find it odd he’s not changing an obvious weakness. I also have think it’s strange he’s not getting the best out of the attacking talent we have... or maybe Jorge Mendes dumped his crap on us? 

Either way I’m not sure who I would take to replace him, someone who attempts to draw first blood rather than wait for the other team to score 

Everyone knows my opinion of him. I said it before we hired him and I’ve said it last season and now this season, I can’t watch his football anymore, it’s dire and seeing people like Gupi say you can see the attacking style he’s trying to implement makes me wonder if I’m going daft and just not seeing it despite going to nearly everyone one of his games and seeing no evidence (no Colin I’m not trying to have a pissing match by saying I’ve been to a few games). 

Having said all that unless Warnock becomes available he should be given the season then he and his band of deluded followers have no excuse and he’ll have to go, despite winning the “we played well against Newcastle and for 60 minutes against WBA” cup. 

Edited by bestwood_red!

2 hours ago, Dane B said:

Agree 100% Chaz. Our problem is that we have a knob head who persistently picks the wrong DM pairing. A blind man could see they didn't work against Brum, so the fucking idiot starts them against Brentford. That's our problem mate............the manager.

I know you all have a pop at me for wanting rid of him, but give it time, you'll all come round to my way of thinking soon.

The thing for me is this sort of bollocks - e.g. players that didn't work together should have been ironed out in pre season but our teams in pre season were a farce and so we've got to the stage where we're fucking about at this stage still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.  Either way he should have worked out that some things aren't working so if he keeps doing them then he'll be on the way out 'cause Marinakis doesn't strike me as the most patient of owners. 

Get shot ASAP 

By the time everyone has concluded and accepted he’s totally wank, a shot at top six will be out of reach.

September end, top ten or Auf Wiedersehen. 

Edited by legs_akimbo

1 hour ago, legs_akimbo said:

Get shot ASAP 

By the time everyone has concluded and accepted he’s totally wank, a shot at top six will be out of reach.

September end, top ten or Auf Wiedersehen. 

Maybe if we get rid now we could squeeze in another one before end of season when that one don’t work either 👍

We needed a bit of pace in the centre of midfield yesterday, Watson and Colback don't offer that. Bridcutt shows a bit of industry and has that ability to upset players and at least he can pass forward. 

Murphy was isolated yesterday, he feeds on crosses whipped into the box, not balls lumped up to him. He's doing ok considering we aren't supplying him with anything. 

Pantimillon is just a bit weird. He should have everything a keeper needs but he looks a bit short of confidence.

Brentford will be top 6 at the end of the year though. A good team who work very hard for each other.

Karanka to stay until Christmas.

Edited by Faceman

If he starts Watson & Colback in our next game, he'll need to think about his future here. We can all see that it doesn't work. 

I don't particularly like Karanka but if you're going to sack a manager who's done a pretty decent job and then let his replacement ship out a majority of the squad and spend a huge amount buying an whole new squad you should at least give him a full season.

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Upvote 2

I like Karanka although some of his team selection is slightly baffling. Saying that though I have always liked and dreamt that Rafa would be a great manager for Forest.

Does it actually matter who we bring in. If we sack Karanka, the new man won't last 6 months, or the guy after that. A few on this forum are deffo in the minority though. Karankas name was sung loud and proud throughout the match on sat, I think most fans have accepted it will take time and we are not a quick fix.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GupiRed2 said:

Does it actually matter who we bring in. If we sack Karanka, the new man won't last 6 months, or the guy after that. A few on this forum are deffo in the minority though. Karankas name was sung loud and proud throughout the match on sat, I think most fans have accepted it will take time and we are not a quick fix.

It's not the fans' decision Gupi. The Bubble will sack him results don't improve.