Sign in to follow this  
E R

2018/19 Season predictions

I think I would share the same concerns with 4-3-3 as you nemesiz if the personnel had not changed. From what I have seen of him in the past, I believe Grabban's game lends itself to being able to hold the ball up, link play and run the channels. We all know that Brereton was slightly out of his depth last season with all the responsibility falling on his shoulders - I still think he has a role to play this season mind.

I'll go for 6th on the basis that we are due a good season...

Defence looks a bit lacking in depth but if Gil, Carvalho and Goncalves are of the same quality as Jorge Mendes' Wolves players (Costa, Jota, Cavaleiro) then we should be optimistic.

One factor most of us haven't considered when making the prediction is injuries and how it has decimated and damaged our previous promotion chances. Last year was probably our first real season that injuries hadn't affected our overall challenge, unlike the season before when losing Assombolonga. Of course this excludes the enforced sale of key players to avoid further Financial Fair Play sanction but that is another matter, so shouldn't affect our chances to challenge this season. Fortunately many of our players are relatively young with little to no history of injuries, although the lack of depth and cover in squad players is troubling.     

Edited by nemesiz
  • Downvote 2

We've now got some OK depth in certain areas. The main areas for depth I see as a concern are striker and if Carvalho gets injured who can play in that attacking mid position. I think that would see us call for Clough???? 

Striker wise I'm guessing Soudani would fill in? Unknown how well he'd do. 

anyone else a bit surprised karanka hasnt used his connection with mourinho at utd? Thought he may look at young players like tuanzebe or fosu mensah..

I did initially say I was only worried about Boro and Stoke. But Ive had a bit of. think and I reckon Brentford, Derby, Leeds and Preston will all be up there too. Hard to say how the new players in the squad will settle to the rigours of the Championship but they've had a month to gel together and look to be relatively settled within the team. Hard to say exactly where we will finish but I would probably be disappointed if we weren't in the play offs.