Sign in to follow this  
Art Vandelay

Fantasy Football

This is why I tend to finish bottom of these things.

The thing is, you weren't misremembering, neither have had a stand out World Cup. Going by previous form, Ronaldo seemed over priced. Then he went and scored a hat trick...

Guess who's got all Spanish and Portuguese defenders in his team....... :sad02:

That was mightily silly:-)

I've got Pickford, Walker, Stones & Alderwiereld as my GK & defence coz (all should play) neither will concede in their first two matches!!

I've got Pickford, Walker, Stones & Alderwiereld as my GK & defence coz (all should play) neither will concede in their first two matches!!

According to tonight's 'experts' one of my England defenders isn't even going to play. Mind, he'll probably still score better than Spain's keeper, also in my team.

I don't think I've had any England player in any fantasy league team since the mid 90s. Don't remember missing out on many points....

I went heavy on Uruguay and France for my forwards thinking I could always swap to Ronaldo for his second and third round games after Uruguay/France have played as they have decent games and surely he won't get much against Spain........

Guess who's got all Spanish and Portuguese defenders in his team....... :sad02:

Don't think Morocco and Iran have got many goals in them though so you should still pick up a few clean sheets. Plus the draw between them means they'll both have to play their best side in their last two games. If you have teams who've won two there's always the risk of players getting rested in the last match :cool03:

Edited by Art Vandelay

According to tonight's 'experts' one of my England defenders isn't even going to play. Mind, he'll probably still score better than Spain's keeper, also in my team.

Who is that Charlie? Walker or Stones probably!

I don't think I've had any England player in any fantasy league team since the mid 90s. Don't remember missing out on many points....

I went heavy on Uruguay and France for my forwards thinking I could always swap to Ronaldo for his second and third round games after Uruguay/France have played as they have decent games and surely he won't get much against Spain........

Don't think Morocco and Iran have got many goals in them though so you should still pick up a few clean sheets. Plus the draw between them means they'll both have to play their best side in their last two games. If you have teams who've won two there's always the risk of players getting rested in the last match :cool03:

You're right about no English players losing many points in recent world cups but we never had such an easy World Cup group before now. We are already through with Belgium & it's very annoying with all the headlines about how England are gonna show more effort, how our system works now, balanced squad etc etc when we all know as well as they do we've as good as got a bye to the last 16 but against Poland or Columbia at least we'd have half decent opposition.

Shame I wasn't around for the 1966 World Cup, I'd have Definately had Banks, Moore, Charlton & Hurst in my fantasy team:-)

Cheers, Art, that was kind of my thinking, although I was kind of banking on last night's game being rather more restrained in the scoring stakes.....

Well, that bloody jinxed them LOL

Transferred in three Portuguese defenders last night, thought I was onto a good thing until THAT penalty in injury time robbed me. Thought I'd make it up tonight, I noticed Croatia had dropped about 10 players so transferred in Icelandic defenders and the striker Finbogason thinking they'd have a field day against a second string side.......reasoning that looks good on paper but shit on grass.

I've now nearly used up all my remaining transfers on players that didn't deliver. If there's one thing this summer's fantasy football has taught me: they always let you down.

Art, can you advise as to transfer strategy for the knockout round in the Telegraph game? We have unlimited transfers until 3pm Saturday then 20 for the rest of the tournament.

Is the name of the game picking players from teams you'll think will get to the semis? How many transfers a round would you aim to use? It works out as 5 a round if you spread them evenly or would you look to keep 11 in hand for the final in case all your players get eliminated?

It depends what your aims are and how far back you are really. I've got a couple of teams on the leaderboard and another five within 20 points so can cover a few possibilities. For example in one I will be starting with a Uruguay block defence then swapping to Croatia then on to Brazil. If I get two clean sheets from the first two and Brazil make the semis I'm in with a chance :cool: The other ten transfers to rotate one or two attacking positions and/or replace any knocked out players.

If you're in it to win it you've got to be bold and definitely don't hold back many transfers just for the final, it's just one game. If the people at the top hedge their bets too much those chasing will gamble and fly past them. To an extent you've got to let the order of fixtures dictate your choices. For example Sweden look a good bet to get a clean sheet in the last 16 but it's hard to get them out afterwards, you've either got to go to England/Colombia or stick with them for the quarters and swap to Spain.

France/Uruguay/Portugal wouldn't be bad to start with as they play first in every round so you can swap them out whenever and to whoever you want. If in doubt I'd say gamble on Spain to make the final. I don't have much faith in their defence but their fixtures in terms of order and opposition are the best. They play last in the quarters so you can rotate defences (or whatever) of whoever you like in the last 16, stick with your final one for the quarters then switch to Spain to keep. Or the same applies to Croatia if you prefer.....

Edited by Art Vandelay

Art, that sounds like some really good advice from a fantasy football guru! Thank you. I followed your advice about transferring out players who'd just played in the group stages. I entered three teams into the Telegraph tournaments, one got through to the next round comfortably and a second came within a cat's whisker. Were it not for the injury time VAR penalty in Portugal - Iran that team would have gone through too. Cheers!

I must confess to following your advice on teams playing early and transferring them out and am pissing my work league

How many transfers for the knockout stage?

Unlimited transfers to re-assemble your squad for the knockout rounds, then 20 during the knockout round.

Nice to see my words of wisdom paying off B)

A couple of points for the knockout stage - Spain (or Russia) and Croatia (or Denmark) are the only teams that you can transfer a player out then back in again without losing a game. ie They play 3rd/4th in the last 16 but last in the quarters so you get two games from anyone you bring in after the 2nd round match (assuming they win their game and play again in the next round) then can bring back the Spain/Croata player if you want.

Also don't forget the 3rd/4th place match counts. Probably not a big deal but worth remembering.....

I missed join g your league and it is too late now but I have 221 points before this stage begins which is fucking massive for me

How is your league dont?

Up to 250 now - I had pavard, Mbappe and Griezman earlier. Think I went the wrong way tonight tough as have Suarez and Ronaldo

Three teams re-jigged for the knockout round. One with an all French defence, one all Portuguese, one mainly Uruguayan. So that's 15 players employed to gain me a grand total of...................oh yeah, absolutely no clean sheets.

I hate this game!

I'm actually starting to wonder if I'm the jinx...... :sad02: :worried_anim:

Although at least Uruguay and France are through so you'll get another chance with them in the next game. Did you at least have Mbappe/Greizman/Cavani? I went all Uruguay defence with my best team :( was planning on a swap to Brazil but I think I've got to stick with them now. I went mostly with Croatia, Belgium and Brazil in the rest so Fingers crossed......

How is your league doing?

Well there are only three of us :( I might offer up a prize for a Championship mini-league next season to lure a few more in.

My side in the mini league is on around 250 so it's a shame you're not in, would have been a good contest. Cheswick and Savo are hopeless.......

Edited by Art Vandelay