H-Block

Forest 2018/19 thread

Season is over and we have stayed up, I will judge Karanka from now. He has had more than enough time to assess the squad, I expect there will be the biggest overhaul of players that we may have seen in over a decade. The squad needs that kind of change and he doesn't seem afraid to do it. I fully expect us to break our transfer record on a striker too, with all the rumours going around, probably on the Peterborough duo.

Either way its quite exciting and the fact that so many people have renewed/bought new season tickets shows the fans believe in whats happening down at the City Ground.

What needs to be done is to forget about league position and spend the season cutting the squad right down and building a proper team with an actual identity, a settled starting eleven, an establish pattern of play, and a coaching and scouting stucture that stays in place for several years. We need to get the absolute basics in place before worring about anything else. Although that's what we needed to do last season and we did the exact opposite.

Just like the season before that. And the one before that. I've got no reason to expect anything different next season so I'm expecting a load of players will go out, even more will come in, we'll be in midtable, the manager will be sacked, another one will come in bringing in a whole new coaching set-up and style, we'll sign loads more players in January with random people coming and going on loan, and stumble to the end of the season just about staying up.

Still, looking forward to it. When's pre-season start? :)

Edited by Art Vandelay

What needs to be done is to forget about league position and spend the season cutting the squad right down and building a proper team with an actual identity, a settled starting eleven, an establish pattern of play, and a coaching and scouting stucture that stays in place for several years. We need to get the absolute basics in place before worring about anything else. Although that's what we needed to do last season and we did the exact opposite.

Just like the season before that. And the one before that. I've got no reason to expect anything different next season so I'm expecting a load of players will go out, even more will come in, we'll be in midtable, the manager will be sacked, another one will come in bringing in a whole new coaching set-up and style, we'll sign loads more players in January with random people coming and going on loan, and stumble to the end of the season just about staying up.

Still, looking forward to it. When's pre-season start? :)

Perfect summary of the last seven years.

The club have announced a new fixed match day pricing structure as of next season, as follows:

Category A: £28

Category B: £25

Category C: £20

Category D: £15

There is not currently a definition of what games will be under each category but you can imagine Category A will be the Derby game, Category B matches with well supported sides like Sheffield United, Category C a league game against a less well supported side and Category D for a League Cup game?

We have announced who has officially been released. No surprises: Cohen, Vaughan, Hobbs and Dejagah. With all the loanees leaving and ours returning we have a first team squad of 29!

If Karanka wants a squad of around 22 and is hoping to bring in half a dozen players he is going to have to try and ship out 13 of the current lot. I aint sure I could name 13 of ours whod we worth having so he will have a task on his hands.

Here's the official retain list from 2018:

Gboly Ariyibi, Andreas Bouchalakis, Ben Brereton, Liam Bridcutt, Matty Cash, Zach Clough, Jason Cummings, Tendayi Darikwa, Dimitar Evtimov, Tobias Figueiredo, Danny Fox, Jorge Grant, Adlene Guedioura, Stephen Henderson, Stefanos Kapino, Thomas Lam, Eric Lichaj, Joe Lolley, Michael Mancienne, Barrie McKay, Daryl Murphy, Ben Osborn, Jordan Smith, Armand Traore, Apostolos Vellios, Tyler Walker, Jamie Ward, Ben Watson, Joe Worrall

just one or two then !!

Gboly Ariyibi, Andreas Bouchalakis, Ben Brereton, Liam Bridcutt, Matty Cash, Zach Clough, Jason Cummings, Tendayi Darikwa, Dimitar Evtimov, Tobias Figueiredo, Danny Fox, Jorge Grant, Adlene Guedioura, Stephen Henderson, Stefanos Kapino, Thomas Lam, Eric Lichaj, Joe Lolley, Michael Mancienne, Barrie McKay, Daryl Murphy, Ben Osborn, Jordan Smith, Armand Traore, Apostolos Vellios, Tyler Walker, Jamie Ward, Ben Watson, Joe Worrall

just one or two then !!

I'd get rid of Cummings, Henderson, Lam. Mancienne, Murphy & Vellios for starters, maybe Ward too.

Ben Brereton, Matty Cash, Zach Clough, Tobias Figueiredo, Joe Lolley, Ben Osborn, Ben Watson, Eric Lichaj, Joe Worrall - these are the only lot I would keep.

Ben Brereton, Matty Cash, Zach Clough, Tobias Figueiredo, Joe Lolley, Ben Osborn, Ben Watson, Eric Lichaj, Joe Worrall - these are the only lot I would keep.

Agree with that list

No Kapino?

I wouldnt even keep Clough - he was shit here and shit when he went on loan. Flog him back to Bolton and cut our losses

Edited by E R

What about Barrie McKay? Early season his match-winning form completely changed the outcome of games with his solo efforts of pressurizing, and running at the opposition defences helped bought success. Yes his form dropped when the opposition man-marked him out of the game, and confidence slipped but potentially he still possesses the ability to be a game changer. He is the type of creative player this club desperately requires, whether Karanka man-management skills or tactics can reverse his form is debatable though.

• Upvote 1

What about Barrie McKay? Early season his match-winning form completely changed the outcome of games with his solo efforts of pressurizing, and running at the opposition defences helped bought success. Yes his form dropped when the opposition man-marked him out of the game, and confidence slipped but potentially he still possesses the ability to be a game changer. He is the type of creative player this club desperately requires, whether Karanka man-management skills or tactics can reverse his form is debatable though.

He's a good bench option Imo & I'd keep him in the squad.

He's got more ability than anyone else in that squad and still has time on his side. Maybe the next manager will get him playing after Karanka is sacked in November!!!

He's got more ability than anyone else in that squad and still has time on his side. Maybe the next manager will get him playing after Karanka is sacked in November!!!

Is that optimism or pessimism? :unsure:

Ward is back?!! How many years did we give him? :lol:

I forgot Ariyibi and Lam existed and what's the deal with Dimitar Evtimov? He's been hanging about for years yet never gets a look in and we loan people in to play ahead of him. He'll be 25 at the start of next season yet seems to be living the career of an 18 year old :unsure:

Ward is back?!! How many years did we give him? :lol:

I forgot Ariyibi and Lam existed and what's the deal with Dimitar Evtimov? He's been hanging about for years yet never gets a look in and we loan people in to play ahead of him. He'll be 25 at the start of next season yet seems to be living the career of an 18 year old :unsure:

Yeah, it's a curious one. I'm sure he must have some talent to have been signed by us as a youth, but the places he's been loaned out to don't inspire confidence: Ilkeston, Gainsborough, Nuneaton, Mansfield, 10 games for Olhanense during the season they were relegated to the third tier of Portuguese football......one game for Port Vale as an emergency loan, a 3-0 defeat.....given the difference in quality between the Championship and leagues he's been playing in, you have to wonder how much useful experience he's actually picking up?

Now I've said this he'll probably go onto be our player of the season in 2018/19, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong! :smile_anim:

Yeah, it's a curious one. I'm sure he must have some talent to have been signed by us as a youth, but the places he's been loaned out to don't inspire confidence: Ilkeston, Gainsborough, Nuneaton, Mansfield, 10 games for Olhanense during the season they were relegated to the third tier of Portuguese football......one game for Port Vale as an emergency loan, a 3-0 defeat.....given the difference in quality between the Championship and leagues he's been playing in, you have to wonder how much useful experience he's actually picking up?

Now I've said this he'll probably go onto be our player of the season in 2018/19, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong! :smile_anim:

I know the daughter of the Port Vale owner, she said Dimis one game was the single worst goalkeeping performance she has ever seen from a keeper, believe they put a kid in of their own for the next game.

I know the daughter of the Port Vale owner, she said Dimis one game was the single worst goalkeeping performance she has ever seen from a keeper, believe they put a kid in of their own for the next game.

It's weird how it's panned out for him. 5 years ago he was tipped to be a star of the future. What went wrong?

It's weird how it's panned out for him. 5 years ago he was tipped to be a star of the future. What went wrong?

Playing at shit teams like these, ilkeston, Gainsborough, Nuneaton, Mansfield wouldn't have help his confidence or progression.

Didn't realise Paul Anderson is now at Mansfield...he's had some decline

It started before he left us.

As for the goalkeeper, he was bought in with all of this excitement about his potential. I reckon it turned out he was already playing to his full potential.

Can anyone remember the second verse to city found - mull of kintyre?

I told my son about the second verse and he is driving me mad about it. I remember part of it about places weve been and the boys in the red shirts from the city ground but cant remember it all

Much Obliged

Far have we travelled and much have we seen

Goodison, Anfield are places weve been

Main Road, Old Trafford still echo the sound

Of the boys in red shirts from fhe City Ground

Edited by Danny