159 replies to this topic

#1 H-Block

H-Block

Fringe Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

The season may not yet be a minute old but already I find myself looking forward to 2018/19 with optimism. With Marinakis’ investment and Karanka given the summer to assemble the team he really wants, it will be fascinating to see what kind of a squad we’ll end up with. Will Karanka assemble the squad that will finally return us to the promised land of the Premier League?

It isn’t just on the pitch where we may see change. With ownership and managerial connections to Greece and the Basque Autonomous Community, one wonders where our pre-season trips may take us this summer? Goodbye Ilkeston and Mansfield, hello Piraeus (Olympiakos) and Vitoria-Gasteiz (Alaves)? Speculation, perhaps, but all of a sudden it feels as if our horizons may have been expanded. Passports at the ready?

One change which we know is coming, is the arrival of new kit courtesy of Macron. If they do as good a job for us as they have with certain other European clubs, I for one will very much look forward to pulling on the Garibaldi.

There really is so much to look forward to next season and I can’t wait to follow all the action both at the matches and here with you fine people on Forestfans.net!

#2 JohnReese

JohnReese

Reserve Team Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

I don't believe Karanka will get us back to the Prem, I hope he does but pretty sure he won't, probably won't be here for the whole season anyway.

Let's enjoy the failings of England in Russia, the pundits moans of too many games whilst not accepting they aren't good enough, then look forward to a better 2018/19 season for us, hopefully a mid table rather than bottom half finish.

#3 Danny

Danny

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

Nothing I have seen of Karanka so far convinced me he will do any better than any of the other dozen or so managers we have had over the past decade. The squad is packed with shite and the signings made in January have been a complete mixbag.

Lets see how the summer goes but Ill not be holding my breath.
When I say "Go!", you say "Weeble!".

"Go!"...

#4 Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Substitute

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

This season was always about what went on behind the scenes. I am hopeful that we might see the first glimmers of what has been achieved on the pitch next season. Karanka has not inspired yet, but we need to give whoever is in charge at least a full season to shift out the shite. Hopefully a top-half finish next time around.

#5 Dane B

Dane B

Forest Legend

• Root Admin
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

Isn't this exactly what we were saying at this time last season? Top half finish would be progress? Not in a relegation fight would be progress?

I honestly can't see it being any different next season under Karanka. It matters not one jot whether or not we think he should be given a full season. If he doesn't perform, he's out easy as that.

As I have said before, the summer's transfer dealings will make or break our season.

I LOVE GOLF, I LOVE MY WIFE, AND I ENJOY DOING BOTH.

#6 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

As always it's the quality on the pitch that dictates how well you do.  If we sign strikers who score goals we'll do well, if we don't we won't. 

#7 Savo

Savo

First Team Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:32 PM

Could do with somehow getting rid of 3/4s of the squad. Whether that's releasing them, paying them off or getting some mug to actually pay us for them. If you include a few youth players then we've got over 30 players on the books...organising training must be a nightmare. Probably just sorts them into a 5 a side tournament or something

The situation is what it is Natalie.

#8 Dane B

Dane B

Forest Legend

• Root Admin
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:46 AM

As always it's the quality on the pitch that dictates how well you do.  If we sign strikers who score goals we'll do well, if we don't we won't. 

Not as easy as that I'm afraid Chaz.

Sure we need strikers who can score, but we also need a midfield that can create, and a defence that can defend.

First time in 5 months that Bolton score 3 in a match. They had less possession, but more than twice the amount of shots than us, and more than twice the amount of shots on target than us.

I don't believe for one minute that Bolton's players are better than ours man for man. So the only other conclusion is that our tactics are wrong.

We need a whole lot more than a couple of strikers next season. We need a whole new re-think of how we should be playing the game. Karanka needs a new game plan.

Even with all the signings he made in Jan, his record at Forest, almost half a season, is P20 W5 D6 L10. Protracted over a season, that's a relegation battle

#9 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

Not as easy as that I'm afraid Chaz.

Sure we need strikers who can score, but we also need a midfield that can create, and a defence that can defend.

First time in 5 months that Bolton score 3 in a match. They had less possession, but more than twice the amount of shots than us, and more than twice the amount of shots on target than us.

I don't believe for one minute that Bolton's players are better than ours man for man. So the only other conclusion is that our tactics are wrong.

We need a whole lot more than a couple of strikers next season. We need a whole new re-think of how we should be playing the game. Karanka needs a new game plan.

Even with all the signings he made in Jan, his record at Forest, almost half a season, is P20 W5 D6 L10. Protracted over a season, that's a relegation battle

Bolton scored two goals in a minute, one got deflected in - and they were playing for their lives while we weren't.

I don't know if you've ever done any coaching but the one thing I learned was you're as good as the players on the pitch as a manager.  People talk about tactics but your style of play doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things.  Look at us for evidence, we have about two or three managers a year with the same end result for them all. 

Relax.  We need to get shot of a shitload of players in the summer and bring a handful in.  If the ones that come in are good enough we'll be good enough, if they aren't we won't.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick, 07 May 2018 - 08:22 AM.

#10 Dane B

Dane B

Forest Legend

• Root Admin
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

I don't know if you've ever done any coaching but the one thing I learned was you're as good as the players on the pitch as a manager.  People talk about tactics but your style of play doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things. 

I don't believe it Chaz.

I look at the likes of Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Brighton, and even Cardiff, as examples of clubs who have got promoted with a manager who has got the best out of relatively ordinary squads.

Preston, Millwall, and Brentford all had a push at the top 6 with managers getting the best out of ordinary players. All choose the tactics to suit the players they have.

Pantillimon, Figgy, Watson, Geddy, Colback, Tomlin, Lolley, all Karanka signings, and we still can't win a match. It's the manager, not the players Chaz.

#11 Ricknffc

Ricknffc

Back-Up Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

Really disappointed with Brereton yesterday,if we had a half decent fox in the box the game would have been out of sight in the first half. I know he's young but he has to repay the faith by the manager by putting easy chances like that away. If your gona miss chances that go across the 6 yard box and u can't make contact then there is no chance your gona be getting 20 goals a season. I duno if jack Marriott is the answer, looks capable of scoring with both feet but has he got enough? I for one would like to see gestede and Rhodes up front together. Karanka however doesn't look like he is ever going to put 2 up top. U look at teams that are near the top of the league and there is a comman trend. Cardiff- Paterson and zohore up top, derby- Vydra and Jerome or Nugent or Lawrence, fulham- mitrovic, sessegnon, boro- bamford assombalonga, traore. If we actually sort out a sound defence and midfield then surely there is no need for a 3rd central midfielder because the defence and midfield will be self reliant so we can have another striker. Like some earlier comments i do believe the tactics are very important, its amazing how much they have the managers ideas in the forefront of their mind. Some of them lads in he midfield on a counter attack must me thinking ' we haven't got many going forward, i should probably get up and support, oh no Karanka wants the shape to be solid and for me to sit in, so i will stay' i do believe Karanka can get it right but i dont think stubbornness is a good trait in a manager, you need to be flexible and adapt and to not be scared of change. Having a 19 year old lad up top who is either just average or totally void of any confidence isn't going to pull up any trees is it. He's basically the best of a bad bunch and has potential so its put him up top and just hope something happens. That needs to change if we are to go anywhere up the league next season

Edited by Ricknffc, 07 May 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#12 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

I don't believe it Chaz.

I look at the likes of Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Brighton, and even Cardiff, as examples of clubs who have got promoted with a manager who has got the best out of relatively ordinary squads.

Preston, Millwall, and Brentford all had a push at the top 6 with managers getting the best out of ordinary players. All choose the tactics to suit the players they have.

Pantillimon, Figgy, Watson, Geddy, Colback, Tomlin, Lolley, all Karanka signings, and we still can't win a match. It's the manager, not the players Chaz.

I don't get why you haven't twigged that results don't change from one manager to the next despite all of the variation in tactics.  It's up to you whether you want to believe or ignore all the evidence.

#13 Dane B

Dane B

Forest Legend

• Root Admin
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

I don't get why you haven't twigged that results are down to the shite managers we have appointed. Mad Billy did it with a squad worse than this one, and then came back and nearly made the play offs again. It's up to you whether you want to believe or ignore all the evidence. You only have to look at our list of previous managers. The current one is no different in my opinion.

#14 JohnReese

JohnReese

Reserve Team Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

Both of you are right in a way, a manager can only work with what he's got but a good manager should get the best out of what he has available, with our current squad that's not much but no way is this squad better than Billy's play off squads of 2010 & 2011, even our squad in 2012/13 that finished 7th was better than what we've got now.

As I've said before, first thing a manager should do is play his strongest team, players in their strongest positions and stop this pissing about trying midfielders at left back, strikers as wingers, etc that's why we've been crap for so long now. If Karanka persists with his current shite next season he will be gone by Christmas but, if he realises what needs to be done, firstly sacking off the shite, he could get us playing more solidly and, if two good strikers are bought in, scoring more goals and winning more matches. We won't be pushing for promotion or play off favourites next season but we'd look a better team (Though that's not difficult)

I fear more of the same from Karanka though with more surplus shite bought in & another season just like this one.

#15 H-Block

H-Block

Fringe Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

Out of interest, chaps, how many of you are season ticket holders? Have you renewed?

#16 Thommo

Thommo

sidelined by injury

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

Out of interest, chaps, how many of you are season ticket holders? Have you renewed?

I am.

And no, not yet.... Fawaz killed the passion for me and Im struggling to justify the time spent on what will be another season near the bottom of the table.

@Dane ... Billys team was better than this lot. For a start it had Robbie Earnshaw who could get 20 goals a season. Dex used to weigh in with 12-15. Gunter, Anderson, Radi and Wes. If Billy had managed to sign a LB that Christmas wed have gone up second ahead of West Brom.

#17 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

I don't get why you haven't twigged that results are down to the shite managers we have appointed. Mad Billy did it with a squad worse than this one, and then came back and nearly made the play offs again. It's up to you whether you want to believe or ignore all the evidence. You only have to look at our list of previous managers. The current one is no different in my opinion.

Brian Clough type managers are one in a million.  Even he realized you're only as good as your players.  Like every other manager Karank will be judged on the quality of player he brings in. 

One other thing, are we actually doing any worse than our spending over the years would suggest we should do?

As for Billy, I liked him, it was every other fucker that wanted him gone.

#18 Danny

Danny

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Brian Clough type managers are one in a million.  Even he realized you're only as good as your players.  Like every other manager Karank will be judged on the quality of player he brings in. 

The best managers get a group of players to play better than the sum of their parts. Look at Cardiff; Bamba and Hoilett on a free, Mendez-Laing from Rochdale, keeper from Walsall, a journeyman like Peltier at right back. Can anyone realistically argue that they had the second strongest squad in the division? What they did have is a manager who knows how to get a side playing to their strengths and playing for him. Its not all about the quality of the players.

Edited by Danny, 07 May 2018 - 04:27 PM.

When I say "Go!", you say "Weeble!".

"Go!"...

#19 molymoly

molymoly

Back-Up Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

I am and have. More for the social aspect than the football.

I thought the football under Karanka has been better than under Warburton. He's been in the job since January. Give him a chance before lynching him.

#20 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:11 PM

The best managers get a group of players to play better than the sum of their parts. Look at Cardiff; Bamba and Hoilett on a free, Mendez-Laing from Rochdale, keeper from Walsall, a journeyman like Peltier at right back. Can anyone realistically argue that they had the second strongest squad in the division? What they did have is a manager who knows how to get a side playing to their strengths and playing for him. Its not all about the quality of the players.

Cardiff didn't look any different than us when we played them apart from they had people who took a chance when it came up.

Like I said further up, get the attackers sorted and we'll look a whole lot better.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users