Sign in to follow this  
Daz

Wembley

I know we have zero chance of getting there anytime soon but even so it would be a national travesty if it was sold.

Why can't anything in London be owned by the British anymore? I bet if we turn the yanks down then there would be a queue of Russian, Arab and Chinese businessmen following up.

It is iconic, tax payer funded and doesn't make economic sense. Once the debt I'd paid off for Wembley then the FA would have a very valuable asset that would only go up in value.

Is the FA really so desperate for a 500m investment? They do rather well out of the sky/bt tv deals which will only grow in future. This just stinks of greed.

Edited by Daz

It would be a disgrace if Wembley was sold, but football has been lowering the bar since it was created by Sky in 1992. As fans we view the game as something sacred, however, this is not the view of those running football and with each and every season they continue to disappoint. They thought nothing of demolishing old Wembley's iconic twin towers and they will happily sell so the NFL can get a franchise in London.

It would be a shite decision but one typical of the FA who know the price of everything but the value of nothing. That they would happily flog the home of English football to allow it to become an NFL stadium just shows the contempt in which they hold the game.

I hope they do flog it and then the owners start fucking them about when they want to use it so they will be hammered in the press. Its a rip off at the moment anyway with the prices the cunts charge for tickets and food and drink

The FA is an old boys club and always has been hence the reason they have these shit nodding dog managers

The FA did not own the old Wembley as far as I recall so I'm not sure it really matters that much.

Hopefully this deal will result in the FA moving FA cup semis out of the place and getting England on the road more often - something the FA can't afford right now due to the massive debts they have as a result of stadium ownership.

If it means semi-finals played at other a grounds and England games taken round the country I think it's a good thing.

Nobody cares about wembley anymore do they? Any tradition and history it had was demolished and any prestige it had has been completely undermined by playing so many mundane and minor games there. Do we even need a national stadium? :unsure:

If it means semi-finals played at other a grounds and England games taken round the country I think it's a good thing.

Nobody cares about wembley anymore do they? Any tradition and history it had was demolished and any prestige it had has been completely undermined by playing so many mundane and minor games there. Do we even need a national stadium? :unsure:

It used to be every players dream to play at Wembley, under the twin towers, whether it be for club or country. The old stadium had a certain aura about it.

Now, all of that has been diminished. Every Prem club will play at Wembley this season. FA Cup semi finals lose their appeal being held there. It's all too corporate now.

I really do miss the old Wembley. I'm sure the new stadium could have been built bigger, but along the same lines as the old gal, and the towers could have been retained. Who needs a poxy arch?

It used to be every players dream to play at Wembley, under the twin towers, whether it be for club or country. The old stadium had a certain aura about it.

Now, all of that has been diminished. Every Prem club will play at Wembley this season. FA Cup semi finals lose their appeal being held there. It's all too corporate now.

I really do miss the old Wembley. I'm sure the new stadium could have been built bigger, but along the same lines as the old gal, and the towers could have been retained. Who needs a poxy arch?

Spot on, Dane.

How much have property prices risen by in London over the last decade? And the FA are seriously considering selling Wembley stadium for less than they paid for it.

Excellent point, Art. Brazil, Germany, Italy and Spain don't have national stadiums.....has it really done them any harm? (clue - they're the last four winners of the World Cup......)