1 hour ago, bestwood_red! said:

I will never understand his messiah like status amongst our fans. 

Nobody has ever thought of him as the messiah, just some recognised we were on the right track and forcing him out would be counter productive.  

Just like it turned out.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Nobody has ever thought of him as the messiah, just some recognised we were on the right track and forcing him out would be counter productive.  

Just like it turned out.  

You’ve obviously not been on twitter. 

Just on Billy, he was a decent gaffer. He was just an absolute crank.

He could get Rotherham in the playoffs him 😂

I would love to see someone take a chance on him to see how he gets on again.

Edited by nottmred
  • Upvote 1

Can’t see him getting a job at this level but surprised nobody from league one has taken a punt on him. As has been said, he’s a nutter but he’d get any side punching above their weight. 

It wouldn’t surprise me that if he were both chairman and manager at a club he’d launch a vendetta against himself.

He’s carrying too much baggage for anyone to take a punt on him !! 

If he can’t get a job at a Mickey Mouse club in Scotland then he’s got no chance darn sarf..

On 4/24/2019 at 6:53 PM, Charlie Cheswick said:

I think the trouble is Savo, unless somebody is Clough like they're chucked out before they have a chance to have any success.  

Clough only won 3 league games in his first half season and followed it up with a mediocre first full season. The Clough out bandwagon would have been deafening on here from the usual suspects. 'He was shite at Brighton' 'Disaster at Leeds' 'Useless without Taylor' 'Got lucky at Derby' etc etc. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, A new man said:

Clough only won 3 league games in his first half season and followed it up with a mediocre first full season. The Clough out bandwagon would have been deafening on here from the usual suspects. 'He was shite at Brighton' 'Disaster at Leeds' 'Useless without Taylor' 'Got lucky at Derby' etc etc. 

I wasn't around then but I'd imagine surely that even though results weren't amazing there were signs that we were heading in the right direction? Style of play improvement, focus on playing young players and shipping out deadwood etc. The fact he'd turned the sheep into league champions from second tier nobodies would also give him loads more time. 

For every Clough though there are 50 managers who are shit in the first 6 months and just stay shit. We have a habit of choosing awful managers, with no plan or long term thinking involved and often no real credentials for the job. 

Going all the way back to the turn of the century...there have been 17 permanent managers in 19 years (18 if you count Davies twice). That's shocking and only one of them is currently in work as a manager (Montanier). There's a bloody good reason nobody else will touch them yet we always seem to...

1 hour ago, A new man said:

Thing is, when Clough was appointed we hadn't spent 20 years out of the top flight. Promotion wasn't worth the best side of £200m, and we had a very mediocre squad with little money to spend. And believe me, there was opposition to his appointment. There was always this underlying feeling that he would go back to Derby, and I think he was half expecting the call.

Times have changed, and I don't believe the current owners would have stuck with Clough into a second season. The Premier League is now the Holy Grail, and the monetary rewards alone put excessive pressure on all big club Championship managers to get his club there. Owners want Premier League and if a manager can't deliver then he'll be lucky to get more than a season. It's wrong, but that's the modern game. Yep, Clough would have struggled to keep his job after his first half season in charge.

It’s like when you split up with an old girlfriend - when you are knocking one out about something filthy she did you forget about the times when you wanted to hold her under water until bubbles stopped coming out of her face 

• Haha 1

You’re right. People have forgotten one shot on target in four games (worst away games of my life) or baffling substitutions that were just like for like. I never wanted him sacked but I wouldn’t pay to watch his football again. 

Ive got to be wrong in my opinion because every other fucker seems to think he’s the best manager we’ve had since Clough (little note Warburton had improved us seven league places from when he took over to when he left with a net spend of -£12m, Karanka improved us six league places with a net spend of £23m) but I just don’t see it. He didn’t work between Boro and us and despite five other teams in our league parting company with managers since he left none have rushed to employ him. 

The net spend was about half of what you said there Bestie.  

We must have been about a point better when Warburton left to when he came, still in the relegation mire.  

I'd say his lack of employment is down to him not people who want to get promoted, as he will do that if you give him a chance.  

This is typical Forest, you spend 20 years out of the top flight and get someone in who will get you up but he still isn't good enough and having the usual swap of manager and us progressing absolutely nowhere again is preferable. 

Whilst we all crave stability it has to be from a strong and durable position ..  MON has a maximum of just over 12 months to go on his existing contract providing our owners are convinced he's the man capable of delivering success .. And that gentlemen is the be all and end all of it  !!!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, colin said:

MON has a maximum of just over 12 months to go on his existing contract providing our owners are convinced he's the man capable of delivering success ..

If they were that confident they’d have given him far longer than an 18 month deal. 

6 hours ago, bestwood_red! said:

You’re right. People have forgotten one shot on target in four games (worst away games of my life) or baffling substitutions that were just like for like. I never wanted him sacked but I wouldn’t pay to watch his football again. 

Ive got to be wrong in my opinion because every other fucker seems to think he’s the best manager we’ve had since Clough (little note Warburton had improved us seven league places from when he took over to when he left with a net spend of -£12m, Karanka improved us six league places with a net spend of £23m) but I just don’t see it. He didn’t work between Boro and us and despite five other teams in our league parting company with managers since he left none have rushed to employ him. 

I'm with you on this one, I was getting sick of the tippy-tappy between the back four and the keeper - but I was a keen proponent of stability. I'm a bit like this with MON - if that is the decision of the board, then give him the remainder of the contract to prove his mettle. 

I fancy us to challenge next season as long as O'Neill doesn't fill the team full of cloggers at the expense of players with a bit of attacking merit like he has much of the time since he's been here.  All we need are a couple more options in attack and for O'Neill to play his better players.  

One good thing this year is the teams that are coming down are all woeful.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick