Sign in to follow this  
Caz

Onward and upward

All this without Marinakis shouting from the rooftops about it. Unlike a certain undignified former owner....

I've had positive " vibes " about Marinakis since he bought the club and this news gives me real belief that , after years in the doldrums , we're looking forward to a bright future .... The Summer transfer activity is going to be very interesting indeed ... :wink2: :wink2: :thumbsup_still:

This might prove unpopular...but I'd help fund summer signings with the sales of both JW & BB.

If that £15m could pay for Figueirido, a LB, a decent striker and complete deals for Pantilimon & Tomlin, would any or you be happy with that?

I think the fact that we have a deal in place to sign Figueiredo for £2.5 million all the while turning down £10 million for Worrall just shows the ludicrous premiums placed on British players.

This might prove unpopular...but I'd help fund summer signings with the sales of both JW & BB.

If that £15m could pay for Figueirido, a LB, a decent striker and complete deals for Pantilimon & Tomlin, would any or you be happy with that?

Sorry Caz but we need to keep hold of our brightest young prospects . We probably don't need to sell before we buy just get rid of some of the dead wood ..

I agree. While there reputation is at its highest cash in. I cant ever see either of them making it to a level any higher than they are now.

Sorry Caz but we need to keep hold of our brightest young prospects . We probably don't need to sell before we buy just get rid of some of the dead wood ..

The deadwood will go in the summer but we'll likely need to boost the transfer kitty via sales. I don't see how JW fits into the new side, with Figueiredo becoming a permanent in the summer and Dawson on his way back. That would leave Fox (he'll be offered a new deal), Mancienne and then Worrall. Will he be happy sitting on the bench?

As for BB, he's too young and inexperienced to be leading the line in a Karanka's prefered 4-2-3-1 om his own. We need a quicker, sharper and stronger striker for that role.

The deadwood will go in the summer but we'll likely need to boost the transfer kitty via sales. I don't see how JW fits into the new side, with Figueiredo becoming a permanent in the summer and Dawson on his way back. That would leave Fox (he'll be offered a new deal), Mancienne and then Worrall. Will he be happy sitting on the bench?

As for BB, he's too young and inexperienced to be leading the line in a Karanka's prefered 4-2-3-1 om his own. We need a quicker, sharper and stronger striker for that role.

Actually think BB would be decent as playing on the right of that 3 behind the striker, help him become a more rounded player.

I've a feeling both JW and BB will be sold in the Summer. There will be no place for them in the team, and their current values will plummet when they aren't getting any game time. Cash in while we can to help fund what I hope will be a transfer window like we haven't seen for years.

Seriously, if we sell those two for a combined £20m, we could see us spending upwards of £30m in the Summer. That's what it will take if we want to talk about promotion next season.

I've a feeling both JW and BB will be sold in the Summer. There will be no place for them in the team, and their current values will plummet when they aren't getting any game time. Cash in while we can to help fund what I hope will be a transfer window like we haven't seen for years.

Seriously, if we sell those two for a combined £20m, we could see us spending upwards of £30m in the Summer. That's what it will take if we want to talk about promotion next season.

You might well be correct Dane but I think that Marinakis and co have the experience and nous to put into practice a " cunning plan " for our progression .. Imagine if we can get Dawson in to nuture Joe Worrall and an experienced quality striker to do likewise with Ben Brereton then we have planned for the future ... Time alone will tell but like you my friend I believe the future will be exciting ... Nothing but a promotion push will be acceptable to our owners ...

You might well be correct Dane but I think that Marinakis and co have the experience and nous to put into practice a " cunning plan " for our progression .. Imagine if we can get Dawson in to nuture Joe Worrall and an experienced quality striker to do likewise with Ben Brereton then we have planned for the future ... Time alone will tell but like you my friend I believe the future will be exciting ... Nothing but a promotion push will be acceptable to our owners ...

Which season are you referring to with that "acceptable promotion push?"

Personally, I think it's years away and even if, against all odds, we did go up within the next few seasons, we'd be straight back down again (But £100million richer!)

Very exciting times I must say - I am really enjoying the football as well. Fucking buzzing for Sunday now

Nah, ship out some more crap & buy Oliver Burke back from the stiffs at WBA (or wherever he is I don't keep up with it all)

Personally, I think it's years away and even if, against all odds, we did go up within the next few seasons, we'd be straight back down again (But £100million richer!)

Thats very pessimistic. I bet Huddersfield fans didnt expect to be where they are right now a couple of seasons ago. If we were to throw serious dosh at it in the summer and get promoted I agree that we might struggle to stay up. Coming down with a 100 million though means that you should have a chance of getting up again and maybe get a foothold 2nd time. No reason whatsoever why we cant be next seasons Wolves with a few good signings, shrewd management and of course a fair wind.

Nah, ship out some more crap & buy Oliver Burke back from the stiffs at WBA (or wherever he is I don't keep up with it all)

We couldn't pay Burke's wages now.

I'm referring to next season John .. Our owners have big ambitions and plans for the club .. Let's get to the Prem first before thinking about staying there ...

Yep, Id be quite happy with that Caz.

Only when our youngsters are playing as well as Burke before he left do I clamour to keep hold of them.

Until that point theyre just potential that will be gone the moment they look useful.

Why make presumptions like that?

None of the promoted teams from last season are currently in the Prem bottom 3.

Has anyone actually read the article... The £32m profit figure is misleading. The figures are flattered by the sale of Burke and by Fawaz writing off £40m of loans (not Marinakis) which I assume was a condition of the sale.

The day to day running of the club shows an operating loss of £23m so certainly nothing to crow about. In the medium term the club will still need to borrow a substantial amount of money or sell a few players each year (or a combination of both) to sustain itself outside of the premier league.

I’m by no means an expert but a few things to highlight

- Income generation is still pretty poor. If it weren’t for increased money from EFL then it would have barely changed. Income the club generates itself due to commercial activity and non-match day activity was actually down.

- Income from ticket sales was down last season probably due to fall in ST holders.

- Pay reduced from 166% of Turnover to 137% of Turnover! Which, while is better is still not sustainable. The playing staff is still too big and we can and should make big savings there.

- Non-playing staff were reduced by 15% which suggest we had a reorganisation of the back room functions

The financing of the club is a bit beyond my comprehension but it looks like the bottom line is that we still have £50m+ of debt at the club. The directors still gave another £8m of loans last year even after Burke was sold and it also appears that we've taken a long term loan of £15m out (which maybe something to do with restructuring our debt but not clear).

The financial statements also won't tell the whole story. The club has transferred from being a subsidiary of one company to another. The two ‘parent’ companies haven’t filled their financial statements (Marianakas – doesn’t have to this year, Fawaz – late in filing and probably won’t) so we are kind of in the dark and won't know the full story until next year.

That saying, there are signs of encouragement and the accounts are 9 months old so won't take into account things done by the club since then (new kit sponsors, increase in attendances, Assombolonga’s sale). We will also have more flexibility under FFP to spend money but in reality we're still just losing less rather than making a profit.

I can't pretend to understand what is going on so how does this stack up in terms of FFP?

Have we now got 32 million quid leeway or is that figure just accountancy gobbledygook?

I don’t know for sure although I read that QPR did something similar a few years ago and it was disputed by the football league.

We are in much better shape for FFP than we have been though because of the Burke transfer among other things.

Even if we ignore the loan write off then that’s a £8m loss whereas we were recording £20m+ losses regularly under Fawaz. (FFP says we are allowed to lose £39m over three seasons!)

The fact that we’ve sold Britt this season should mean we are in relatively good shape. If Marinakis wanted to splurge then next season could be a time to do it.

I dont know for sure although I read that QPR did something similar a few years ago and it was disputed by the football league.

We are in much better shape for FFP than we have been though because of the Burke transfer among other things.

Even if we ignore the loan write off then thats a £8m loss whereas we were recording £20m+ losses regularly under Fawaz. (FFP says we are allowed to lose £39m over three seasons!)

The fact that weve sold Britt this season should mean we are in relatively good shape. If Marinakis wanted to splurge then next season could be a time to do it.

I think thats key. It may not be all roses but its rosier. The owner has room to manoeuvre if he chooses to.