91 replies to this topic

#81 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

Lots in the get rid section are obvious, Mills, Hobbs, Cohen, etc.  I don't think we have a bad squad, most teams in our division are full of players with our ability, just they have two or three quality players as well and we haven't got those.  We're going to have to buy from abroad on the cheap meaning any fucker that comes in could be equally shite or great, it's pot luck.  At least Karanka realizes what's up with us and that we've got far too many players.

#82 Snowman_trentside

Snowman_trentside

Trialist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:31 PM

Lots in the get rid section are obvious, Mills, Hobbs, Cohen, etc.  I don't think we have a bad squad, most teams in our division are full of players with our ability, just they have two or three quality players as well and we haven't got those.  We're going to have to buy from abroad on the cheap meaning any fucker that comes in could be equally shite or great, it's pot luck.  At least Karanka realizes what's up with us and that we've got far too many players.

I agree, we've not really got any star players who can get us a goal from nothing, along the lines of Micky Antonio, who was a delight to watch during his time here. McKay should be our top man, but he's ran out of steam half way through the season, looks lightweight & bored.

"if in doubt, do nothing"

#83 Mr Trent

Mr Trent

Trialist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

I didn`t realise Vaughan was hitting 35. On his day he`s a tidy defensive midfielder breaking up attacks but I can`t see the club extending his contract after the summer - even for 12 months.

#84 i.k.s

i.k.s

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:00 AM

Bridcutt a mere squad player? Leave it out Danny, he might not have the most glamorous of roles but he does ok where he's played. Those types never get the plaudits but they get the job done

#85 nemesiz

nemesiz

Academy Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:43 AM

Bridcutt was a firm favourite with Leeds United but his form has never been replicated at Forest. Understandably Warburton was desperately looking for a replacement for the ageing Vaughan but the difference in ability between the two is a worlds apart. Whilst not a fan of Vaughan, over time garnered gradual respect with his gritted performances; this cannot be said about Bridcutt so far although it's early days. Aston Villa First Half performances emphasized how a defensive midfielder should do their job, Vaughan patrolled the centre of the pitch, dictating play, interchanging and helping out with the stretched defence but more importantly positioned himself to be lynchpin for a breakout with a swift counter-attack, or backtracking to slow down the Aston Villa advance. Unfortunately he simply run out of steam in the second half, and got lost like the rest of the players. When Bridcutt replaced Vaughan he looked light-weight, slow, and unable to read the game, being caught out of position numerous times. If this was the first time it would be understandable but Bridcutt, and to a lesser extent Dowell (Attacking Midfielder) look like headless chickens not knowing their placement, positioning nor what exactly is required of a defensive midfielder. Yes overtime the player should learn the role, but at 28 shouldn't Bridcutt be at the height of his career?  

#86 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

The last time he played 90 minutes he was the best player on the pitch.

#87 nemesiz

nemesiz

Academy Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

Consistency is the key. A single outstanding game, doesn't off-set numerous ineffective, or inadequate performances that has contributed to the defence struggling or failing to cope with the opposition onslaught.  An effective defensive midfielder influences a match through protecting, and collaborating with the defence. Whether being first hurdle for the opposition to breakdown, or acting in partnership to man-mark an opposition attacking winger or attacking central midfielder. It is one of the positions that is many fans fail to recognise or notice the importance, but impacts heavily on the final result. Countless times this season our defence been over-stretched, and vulnerable to the counter-attack, or the opposition have simply stream-rolled through the centre of the pitch without little resistance as the Midfield fail to back-track or be in the correct position.         

#88 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

Take on board the Warburton factor and go from there.  Everyone looked bad under him, see where we go from here.

#89 GupiRed2

GupiRed2

Back-Up Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

I've no doubt Bridcutt will be a very important player for us in seasons to come, the work he does goes unnoticed by some. 

#90 Dane B

Dane B

Forest Legend

• Root Admin
  • 16,766 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:49 AM

Bridcutt is that good that Leeds could afford to let him go.

I watched him against Norwich and I thought he was shite. Vaughan was by far the better of the two. Everything Bridcutt did was either sideways or backwards. He's got no vision.

Just another player we brought cos he was available. Another £1m plus wages that we can't afford.

I'd have gladly sacrificed the £5m spent on Murphy, Cummings, and Bridcutt to have brought just one player that would actually make a difference to the team.

I LOVE GOLF, I LOVE MY WIFE, AND I ENJOY DOING BOTH.

#91 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 5,969 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:19 AM

"Everything Bridcutt did was either sideways or backwards. He's got no vision."

That was literally every single outfield player under Warburton.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick, Yesterday, 09:19 AM.

#92 Thommo

Thommo

sidelined by injury

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:33 AM

I like bridcutt hes not there to provide vision, hes an engine and should be breaking play down and tackling. Vision comes from Osborne, Dowling, McKay, Clough ... the list goes on. Vision shouldnt be his primary job, protecting the back four and breaking up play should be. Hes done OK at that and I think in the right set up hell do better. Vaughn maybe better one game out of three/four the other times hes too slow or injured.

If you want to look at wasted money there are easier and more obvious targets. Darikwa being the largest culprit: £2m transfer and wages for a position we were arguably already strong in!!? Crazy. Clough £2.5m for a player we cant fit in his natural position (although not sure where that is? No. 10?).

Edited by Thommo, Yesterday, 10:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users