darcy

Karanka been offered the managers job

I am sticking with him until the end of next season providing he addresses the defence where we have averaged two goals against in every match.

This time last season you were saying you'd give Warburton three years :worried_anim:

This time last season you were saying you'd give Warburton three years :worried_anim:

Yes - I changed my mind when I saw how we were defending a year after he took over and he didnt know how to stop it

I used to think peaky blinders was the best thing on TV until the last series which I thought was shite. That is the brilliant thing about opinions - as you gain more knowledge on the subject you are quite free to change them

Sure, but that makes the orignal statement totally meaningless. If "Give him three years to get a proper stucture in place and build his own team" actually means "I'll just see how things go then decide based on that" then why not just say that :unsure:

Anyway, I've had a look what the 'Boro fans have to say. Everyone seems to agree he can organise a team and make them hard to beat but the football is defensive and boring. Seems 50/50 on whether they like him as a manager or not.

'They played some great attacking football last night. That might be a thing of the past'

'They played 5 academy players when overcoming Arsenal. That's five earnmarked for redundancy'

'Forest fans looked elated last night. That'll soon end'

'As soon as the pressure builds he'll fall apart'

'Hopefully we can offload to Forest some of the garbage he brought to the club'

'After Southgate he's the worst manager I've seen at the club'

'Good coach, terrible manager'

'Be a miracle if he lasts two years'

'Anodyne football with ten players behind the ball one up front'

'Wonder how long it'll take for him to bore the bollocks off the fans'

'Good luck to him' (several of these)

'I wish him well. I hope he does well with them'

'Forest now my second Champo side'

'If he gets enough quality additions I think Karanka could have them challenging at the top end next season'

'Good appointment for Forest, good luck to him'

I find it hard to summon much enthusiasm for any appointment these days. I expect things will go much as usual - a few players will come in, a few will go out, we'll be in midtable, then he'll be sacked. Repeat.

Edited by Art Vandelay

They all said the same about Billy Davies. Boring, negative football. Then we played some of the best football we'd seen since Paul Hart.

Bizarre to see such a wide range of feeling towards him. I've seen quite a few comments saying they'd rather have him back than have Pulis in though.

Usually the fan base is pretty unanimous one way or the other.

They all said the same about Billy Davies. Boring, negative football. Then we played some of the best football we'd seen since Paul Hart.

True, although they also said it about Freedman, McLeish, and Megson......

Karanka wants to trim the squad to 20-22 players. He obviously doesn't know our injury record over the past 10 years does he lol. Granted we need quality over quantity just hope we can start being a bit luckier on the injury front

Sure, but that makes the orignal statement totally meaningless. If "Give him three years to get a proper stucture in place and build his own team" actually means "I'll just see how things go then decide based on that" then why not just say that :unsure:

Anyway, I've had a look what the 'Boro fans have to say. Everyone seems to agree he can organise a team and make them hard to beat but the football is defensive and boring. Seems 50/50 on whether they like him as a manager or not.

'They played some great attacking football last night. That might be a thing of the past'

'They played 5 academy players when overcoming Arsenal. That's five earnmarked for redundancy'

'Forest fans looked elated last night. That'll soon end'

'As soon as the pressure builds he'll fall apart'

'Hopefully we can offload to Forest some of the garbage he brought to the club'

'After Southgate he's the worst manager I've seen at the club'

'Good coach, terrible manager'

'Be a miracle if he lasts two years'

'Anodyne football with ten players behind the ball one up front'

'Wonder how long it'll take for him to bore the bollocks off the fans'

'Good luck to him' (several of these)

'I wish him well. I hope he does well with them'

'Forest now my second Champo side'

'If he gets enough quality additions I think Karanka could have them challenging at the top end next season'

'Good appointment for Forest, good luck to him'

I find it hard to summon much enthusiasm for any appointment these days. I expect things will go much as usual - a few players will come in, a few will go out, we'll be in midtable, then he'll be sacked. Repeat.

The guy took them to the play off final in his first full season and Premier League in the 2nd...no pleasing some people. The positive responses from Boro fans on twitter far outweigh the negative. It almost seems most are in love with him!

The guy took them to the play off final in his first full season and Premier League in the 2nd...no pleasing some people. The positive responses from Boro fans on twitter far outweigh the negative. It almost seems most are in love with him!

Bob Mortimer loves him, that's good enough for me

I think a lot of Boro fans opinion of him is clouded by how poor they were once getting up. Give weve been out the top flight for almost 2 decades then we can be forgiven for not giving two hoots about that. The first step is actually getting up and Karanka has a decent track record to show that hes got a fair idea of how to do that.

Seems he had a lot of offers (some more lucrative) than the Forest job he accepted. Speaks volumes of the people who are now at the club and the vision they have for it. Does feel like an exciting appointment, really hope we have finally found our man.

I think a lot of Boro fans opinion of him is clouded by how poor they were once getting up. Give weve been out the top flight for almost 2 decades then we can be forgiven for not giving two hoots about that. The first step is actually getting up and Karanka has a decent track record to show that hes got a fair idea of how to do that.

Nutshell 👏

He won't be doing that here. A manager hasn't had a full season since 2010-11. We don't do full seasons.

It's not really worth worring about the style of football at this stage though as Forest's main problem has been the same for years - We have too many players and millions are wasted every season on wages for players we simply don't need.

Exactly Art.

A good example of this is that we gave 34 year old Murphy a 3 year contract, yet one of our better players, Lichaj, gets a new one year deal. It should be the other way round. Will we ever learn?

Was his 1st job in management though. He very well could adapt his style to suit the tools he's got.

Yep. He got plenty of 'tools' to work with at Forest.

A good example of this is that we gave 34 year old Murphy a 3 year contract, yet one of our better players, Lichaj, gets a new one year deal. It should be the other way round. Will we ever learn?

Yeah, only one year for Lichaj seems kind of insulting when you look at what's been handed out to others. Odd.

And Murphy should never have been signed at all. I don't think he's a bad player but we had Vellios, Brereton, and Walker already yet go out and sign another two forwards. Five players competing for basically one postion. A midtable Championship side with more centre forwards than Chelsea and Man City combined, amazing crazy%20smiley.gif

The manager is never going to do it as he changes every year so we really need some Director of Football character to take long term charge of recruitment and contracts.

Not odd at all. Murphy's Agent knew it would probably be his final contract, thus to convince and gain his Strikers services, the Director Of Football had to offer a lucrative long-term offer. With regards to Eric Lichaj, the latest contract of One Year and an option for an another year's extension was on the table since December.(Source NEP). It suited both parties at the time, as Warburton kept the services of a key player, and Lichaj had a guarantee to play in England for another year, VISA / License permitting*. So the contract of 1+1 Years would follow the current deal, and finish June 2019. Of course having an English wife his situation could be different, but he would have to apply for permanent residency.

*As Licenses are offered on a four year term basis, a plausible reason for the short time period is the Club wouldn't need the requirement to draw up a new application and to apply to the Home Office for a new VISA. So avoiding any complications or possibility of failing to obtain the License, especially as his eligibility, participation in 75% of USA Home Internationals requirement is borderline.

Edited by nemesiz

Hmmm. We'll have to agree to differ. In my opinion a one year deal for a player who's been a virtual ever present for four years while handing out long term deals willy nilly to various unneeded/unwanted/injured goons is definitely odd.

Not odd at all. Murphy's Agent knew it would probably be his final contract, thus to convince and gain his Strikers services, the Director Of Football had to offer a lucrative long-term offer. With regards to Eric Lichaj, the latest contract of One Year and an option for an another year's extension was on the table since December.(Source NEP). It suited both parties at the time, as Warburton kept the services of a key player, and Lichaj had a guarantee to play in England for another year, VISA / License permitting*. So the contract of 1+1 Years would follow the current deal, and finish June 2019. Of course having an English wife his situation could be different, but he would have to apply for permanent residency.

*As Licenses are offered on a four year term basis, a plausible reason for the short time period is the Club wouldn't need the requirement to draw up a new application and to apply to the Home Office for a new VISA. So avoiding any complications or possibility of failing to obtain the License, especially as his eligibility, participation in 75% of USA Home Internationals requirement is borderline.

Does he still need a visa if he's married to a British bird?