H-Block

World Cup 2018 draw

Does anyone know a bookmaker which will let you predict all 16 qualifiers from the group stage regardless of whether they finish first or second?

Bet 365 are letting you predict the teams to finish first and second but when I try to pick all 16 qualifiers it wants to force me to do threefolds, fourfolds, Super Heinz and all that malarkey that I don't really understand! Yes, I know the gambling experts will say it's a mugs game but I just want to put down a straightforward accumulator. Any ideas?

Coral. Let's you choose the two qualifiers from each group (in any order) as one 8 fold bet.

Spain sacking their manager on the eve of the tournament... what the actual fuck?

I went a bit mental on Skybet last night but the group stages are always worth a flutter. Went for:

Brazil and Germany to win all their group games and Panama and Iran to lose all theirs 80/1

Atleast 1 goal in every group game 50/1

Coutinho, Erikson, de Bruyne and J Rodriguez all to score from outside the area. 50/1

Uruguay, Spain, France, Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Belgium, Colombia to top the groups 37/1

Russia, Portugal, Peru, England, Poland, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil all to qualify. 16.5/1

Uruguay/Saudi Arabia, France/Australia, Brazil/Costa Rica, Colombia/Japan to finish top/bottom of the group. 85.13/1

Russia/Uruguay, Portugal/Spain, Germany/Mexico, Belgium/England, Colombia/Poland to qualify. 18.85/1

Kane, Werner, Messi, Lukaku, Ronaldo and Lewandowski to finish top scorer for their country 62.25/1

Makes it all a bit interesting.

Brazil and Germany to win all their group games and Panama and Iran to lose all theirs 80/1

Uruguay/Saudi Arabia, France/Australia, Brazil/Costa Rica, Colombia/Japan to finish top/bottom of the group. 85.13/1

They look pretty good value B)

I've only been watching World Cup Finals since 78, can't remember seeing any team look as inept as the Saudi's.

Thought the same, mate. All the more puzzling given they achieved respectable results in qualifying against the better AFC teams like Australia and Japan and that they pushed some of the European teams close in the friendlies.

I thought Russia would edge it, I certainly didn't see 5-0 coming any time soon.

I've only been watching World Cup Finals since 78, can't remember seeing any team look as inept as the Saudi's.

You haven't forgotten England in 2014 already?!!!

I reckon Iran & Panama will be on a par with the Saudi's this time around and no way even England won't get out the group with Panama in it.

Think you can tick that one off :D

They really were awful. The only time I can remember a side looking as hopeless as that was Saudia Arabia again in (I think) 02.

They really were awful. The only time I can remember a side looking as hopeless as that was Saudia Arabia again in (I think) 02.

Quite, but does anyone else think Russia's emphatic win might have buggered up their prediction for who wins the group? With a goal difference like that all they need to do is draw with Uruguay and I imagine they'll win the group. I was concerned enough to stick in revised bets for the group winners, one adjusted to remove Russia's group and the other having Russia as group winners.

Edited by H-Block

I reckon that last minute goal for Iran has bollocksed up a few people's "bottom of the group" bets too.......including my own! :O

Quite, but does anyone else think Russia's emphatic win might have buggered up their prediction for who wins the group? With a goal difference like that all they need to do is draw with Uruguay and I imagine they'll win the group. I was concerned enough to stick in revised bets for the group winners, one adjusted to remove Russia's group and the other having Russia as group winners.

Egypt & Uruguay will both beat Saudi's but if Russia lose their next match (Egypt need to win really) coz Uruguay will win their 2nd match which would leave Russia needing to beat Uruguay in 3rd match as Egypt will beat Saudi's in theirs. If Russia avoid defeat to Egypt they will most likely play out the necessary draw with Uruguay which will put them both through. Russia v Egypt is "the key" match left in this group and I can't see Russia losing it for obvious reasons & they'll go through with Uruguay.

But on the topic of Winning group bets, Russia winning it would cock mine up after doing Uruguay.

Edited by JohnReese

They were truly shocking. Iran winning as scratched one of my bets out however their last minute goal and Uruguays last min goal keeps the 1 goal in each group game bet going for now. Its quite funny going mental over a last min Iran goal just to keep a bet alive :lol:

That Spain vs Portugal game has to be one of the best I've watched in some time. Some great goals but Ronaldo is on another level. You just knew that free kick was going in.

They were truly shocking. Iran winning as scratched one of my bets out however their last minute goal and Uruguays last min goal keeps the 1 goal in each group game bet going for now. Its quite funny going mental over a last min Iran goal just to keep a bet alive :lol:

That Spain vs Portugal game has to be one of the best I've watched in some time. Some great goals but Ronaldo is on another level. You just knew that free kick was going in.

Good open match probably coz they both know they'll be going through in this group regardless of this result.

Anyone else sick of people talking about VAR non-stop? Just me mentioning it again now has annoyed me.

Yep. Supposed to resolve dubious decisions but only certain ones are looked at. No point, all or none it should be.

Anyone else sick of people talking about VAR non-stop? Just me mentioning it again now has annoyed me.

Some shocking decisions so far though from what I've seen. The Peru penalty looked very soft.

I can already see the headlines now for our hard luck story exit - 'England out after VAR blunder'

Some shocking decisions so far though from what I've seen. The Peru penalty looked very soft.

I can already see the headlines now for our hard luck story exit - 'England out after VAR blunder'

Won't need VAR to knock England out, they'll soon do that theirselves! (Not til the quarters though)

Nice to see the referee had the balls to stand by his penalty decision tonight without looking at a video. Couldn't give a fuck if he was right or wrong, just good to see a ref who's willing to make a decision and stand by it.

Nice to see the referee had the balls to stand by his penalty decision tonight without looking at a video. Couldn't give a fuck if he was right or wrong, just good to see a ref who's willing to make a decision and stand by it.

And that's how it should be Chaz.

Sure, ref's make mistakes, but that's always been part and parcel of the game.

I've just looked at the replay of the France penalty, and it looks to me like the defender played the ball. Even with VAR, looking at the incident from multiple angles, and in slow motion, it was still inconclusive. Just leave it to the ref to make the decision and get on with it.

If players weren't always trying to con the ref there'd be no need for VAR. Ronaldo's penalty was soft, he looked for the leg and made sure HE made contact. That, in my book, isn't a penalty. Players going down like they've been shot from the slightest touch pisses me off. It ruins the game. A little kick on the leg from a very soft boot onto a shin pad doesn't hurt enough to send a full grown man flying through the air in agony.

If players weren't always trying to con the ref there'd be no need for VAR. Ronaldo's penalty was soft, he looked for the leg and made sure HE made contact. That, in my book, isn't a penalty. Players going down like they've been shot from the slightest touch pisses me off. It ruins the game. A little kick on the leg from a very soft boot onto a shin pad doesn't hurt enough to send a full grown man flying through the air in agony.

Pundits only add to this when they "he's got every right to go down there", which is just a fancy way of saying "he was right to take a dive"

Most of the penalties in the competition seem to have been these very soft touches. Tackling in the box is becoming an increasing no no, but pushing shoving and holding seems okay. Bit odd really.