H-Block

World Cup 2018 draw

Please tell me, how does a striker who has started only once for his club in 2018 & hardly scored all season get in this squad over a striker who has had a good season scoring 14 goals???

Never expect anything else from England these days, big club players will always get selected over in form players from lower clubs & they wonder why England are shit in tournaments.

Leon Bailey should have been in the team ahead of Welbeck and Id have taken Hart instead of Butland just for his experience and to help the other keepers. Shelvey for Delph and Bertrand for Rose maybe but much of a muchness really.

I like Southgate. We all know the last five managers would have taken Wilshere anyway just because he plays for Arsenal and the same for Lallana but hes been brave and took who he wants and needs rather than the same old names.

Leon Bailey should have been in the team ahead of Welbeck and Id have taken Hart instead of Butland just for his experience and to help the other keepers. Shelvey for Delph and Bertrand for Rose maybe but much of a muchness really.

I like Southgate. We all know the last five managers would have taken Wilshere anyway just because he plays for Arsenal and the same for Lallana but hes been brave and took who he wants and needs rather than the same old names.

So, Southgate hasn't taken Rashford, Lingaard & Jones coz they play for the Mancs??? That's the Only reason he's selected them. They've all had piss poor seasons, neither have played regularly and none of them should be in this World Cup squad. Same with Rose & Stones, not played 30 games between them and shouldn't be in. Edited by JohnReese

So, Southgate hasn't taken Rashford, Lingaard & Jones coz they play for the Mancs??? That's the Only reason he's selected them. They've all had piss poor seasons, neither have played regularly and none of them should be in this World Cup squad. Same with Rose & Stones, not played 30 games between them and shouldn't be in.

You cant be serious. Rashford is a very good player, Lingaard despite my early reservations always performs for England and Jones has the lowest goals per game conceded of any English centre back. I agree with Rose and think Bertrand should have gone instead and I think Luke Shaw is better than both of them

You cant be serious. Rashford is a very good player, Lingaard despite my early reservations always performs for England and Jones has the lowest goals per game conceded of any English centre back. I agree with Rose and think Bertrand should have gone instead and I think Luke Shaw is better than both of them

Shaw has the most potential to be our best option at left back & Yes I think he's better than Rose & Bertrand but onto Rashford...

He's hardly played this season, he's started only one match in 2018 and scored three goals all season, not being a regular for your club doesn't warrant selection just coz your club is one of the big six. If Rashford was at Everton with those stats (even Walcott has had a better season!) he wouldn't even get thought about for England. Aren't you sick of the FA's big club selection procedure? Why would any English striker at a non big six Prem club bother knowing that, regardless of how many goals he scores, unless he was on the bench at a big six club he'll never play for England at a major tournament? Take Shelvy for example, not in the squad coz he's at Newcastle & Southgate was worried about his discipline, whilst at Liverpool he was suddenly good enough for England, now he's not but also, Southgate should be more worried more about the bookings for diving that Sterling, Alli & Kane could receive or any player for that matter could be booked for any little thing yet he uses that excuse for Shelvey instead of being honest saying "He can't be that good only playing for Newcastle!"

I'd have taken Shelvey, I know sometimes he looks utterly hopeless, but at least he's something a bit different and it's harsh on Bertrand but I quite like Southgate so far. At least the squads got reasonable balance and cover everywhere and he's not afraid to leave a few big names out. You know Copello and Hodgson would have taken the likes of Hart and Wilshire. They'd probably have been desperately trying to persuade Rooney and Terry to come out of retirement.

_101593537_fddfdfdfdfdfdf.jpg

Thought someone should actually post the squad.......

Three right backs Walker, Trippier and Alexander-Arnold. Three left backs Rose, Young and Delph has been playing there this season. There's far too many defenders in that squad.

Three right backs Walker, Trippier and Alexander-Arnold. Three left backs Rose, Young and Delph has been playing there this season. There's far too many defenders in that squad.

With how Southgate has set the side up recently I am guessing that Walker is to be used as part of a back three with Trippier and Alexander-Arnold to battle it out for the right back spot. As for Delph and Young, both can play in midfield also so it gives the squad a bit of flexibility. Regardless I dont think that Southgate has left out any midfielders or attackers who were crying out to be picked at the expense of any of the players mentioned.

With how Southgate has set the side up recently I am guessing that Walker is to be used as part of a back three with Trippier and Alexander-Arnold to battle it out for the right back spot. As for Delph and Young, both can play in midfield also so it gives the squad a bit of flexibility. Regardless I dont think that Southgate has left out any midfielders or attackers who were crying out to be picked at the expense of any of the players mentioned.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong and England do well.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong and England do well.

They will qualify from the group and probably win the last 16 match but won't go further than the quarter finals so if that constitutes as doing well then they probably will.

Anything less will just be blamed on lack of matches or lack of tournament experience or the wind blowing the wrong way but it'll never be because the players aren't good enough, oh how dare it even be said

So, Southgate hasn't taken Rashford, Lingaard & Jones coz they play for the Mancs??? That's the Only reason he's selected them. They've all had piss poor seasons, neither have played regularly and none of them should be in this World Cup squad. Same with Rose & Stones, not played 30 games between them and shouldn't be in.

The Mancs that finished 2nd in the Premiership? Lingard has arguably been their best player this season other than De Gea! Agree to an extent on Rashford, but anyone that has seen him cannot deny he has the ability and potential to be a sensation - I cannot really think of anyone that should have gone in his place?

I cannot really think of anyone that should have gone in his place?

Thats the point, isnt it? You can go through the squad and nitpick certain players but the reality is that there is no-one who hasnt been selected who was demanding a place in the squad by the quality of their performances.

The Mancs that finished 2nd in the Premiership? Lingard has arguably been their best player this season other than De Gea! Agree to an extent on Rashford, but anyone that has seen him cannot deny he has the ability and potential to be a sensation - I cannot really think of anyone that should have gone in his place?

Sessegnon. Had a cracking season playing in the wide left position that "striker" Rashford will play and deserves it a damn sight more than Big club Rashford.

Sessegnon. Had a cracking season playing in the wide left position that "striker" Rashford will play and deserves it a damn sight more than Big club Rashford.

Give over mate. There is a big difference between giving second division defences the run around and being ready for the World Cup. If he was picked he wouldnt get in the first 11 and after 2 long seasons with Fulham it would do him the world of good to have a bit of a rest over the summer instead of lugging his suitcase round Russia for a month.

Sessegnon may well go on to be an absolute world beater but it would have made no sense to take him this time round.

Edited by Danny

Give over mate. There is a big difference between giving second division defences the run around and being ready for the World Cup. If he was picked he wouldnt get in the first 11 and after 2 long seasons with Fulham it would do him the world of good to have a bit of a rest over the summer instead of lugging his suitcase round Russia for a month.

Sessegnon may well go on to be an absolute world beater but it would have made no sense to take him this time round.

After two long seasons with Fulham? Don't most players have long seasons? Isn't that what they blame it on when England fail at tournaments? So, will England fare better with players who haven't had such a long season? No. What will be the excuse then...

They haven't played enough matches!!

Hes 17 and still growing. Last thing we want to do is Michael Owen him.

Take him to a World Cup where he scores a wonder goal only for his dickhead team mate to get sent off and England lose...

Oh that. Maybe it's best he isn't going then. Anyway, all he has to do is sign for Spurs, sit on the bench all next season & he will then be in the England squad for Euro 20 Qualifiers.

After two long seasons with Fulham? Don't most players have long seasons? Isn't that what they blame it on when England fail at tournaments? So, will England fare better with players who haven't had such a long season? No. What will be the excuse then...

They haven't played enough matches!!

You come across as such an angry individual. Its odd.

The difference is Sessegnon is 17, completely untested at the top level and would not, despite your protestations, markedly improve the quality of the squad we are taking to Russia. If he continues to improve as hoped then he will have plenty of opportunities to impress on the international stage but the sensible decision has been made this time around.

You come across as such an angry individual. Its odd.

The difference is Sessegnon is 17, completely untested at the top level and would not, despite your protestations, markedly improve the quality of the squad we are taking to Russia. If he continues to improve as hoped then he will have plenty of opportunities to impress on the international stage but the sensible decision has been made this time around.

Angry? Coz I differ in opinion to you? That makes you seem angry coz you disagree with me.

Never said he'd improve the squad, just that he's a better option than Rashford in that position. The squad is very poor regardless who goes but even many pundits thought Sessegnon along with Foden should've been included, not just me mate.

Let's face facts. If Rashford stays at Mancs for next two seasons & never plays a match, he will still be in our squad for Euro20, agree or don't but it's true which is why England will never win a major tournament again, unless it's just us and Scotland in it then we might win on penalties.

england-xi-afc1ebb174b87e35365ed8f48fcb0

That's my side for the first game.

You Big Club Lover You, bet you're gutted Joe Hart wasn't selected.😂 Edited by JohnReese

Angry? Coz I differ in opinion to you? That makes you seem angry coz you disagree with me.

Never said he'd improve the squad, just that he's a better option than Rashford in that position. The squad is very poor regardless who goes but even many pundits thought Sessegnon along with Foden should've been included, not just me mate.

Let's face facts. If Rashford stays at Mancs for next two seasons & never plays a match, he will still be in our squad for Euro20, agree or don't but it's true which is why England will never win a major tournament again, unless it's just us and Scotland in it then we might win on penalties.

Not that much, if any, weight at all should be granted to any pundits opinion but who was championing Sessegnon and especially Foden over Rashford?

No-one expects England to win the thing and admittedly there are some bang average footballers in the squad but thats because, a handful of players aside, there is a bit of a dearth of top level English talent at the moment. With the successes of the younger age groups this past year or so we might be more of a prospect in the next World Cup or two but for this one, as with pretty much all others these past couple of decades, we will be amongst the also-rans regardless of which 11 actually play.

Edited by Danny