10 replies to this topic

#1 i.k.s

i.k.s

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,765 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

I'm confused. Surely now there is a big concern with white players being under represented in football at youth level in comparison to the population a large, no doubt a campaign looms to ensure our squad is representative of the demographic as a whole, as in other lines of work, particularly in the public sector..

I wholly disagree with anyone getting their own section of treatment because of skin tone. If we are all equal, then so be it.

england_under_17.jpg

Edited by i.k.s, 10 November 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#2 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

I can understand certain groups in the US 'cause they're fucked up racially but here no, not on any level.  Our issues are class based, always have been.  If you're a black boy that goes to Eton you'll get the same chances as every other fucker that goes there.  Same if you grow up in St Annes chances are you'll amount to fuck all.

Then with footballers, if you're good enough you'll get your chance regardless of colour.  In short, it's a daft thing.  Edit if it is a thing, I can't see anything online about it.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick, 10 November 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#3 colin

colin

Forest Legend

• Root Admin
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Completely agree with the above comments , selection should be based upon form and ability not race , religion or creed ... Can you imagine the outcry from the yoghurt knitters if there was a  White Footballers Award ..

There is a forgotten , nay almost forbidden word , which means more to me than any other . That word is ENGLAND

Sir Winston Churchill .

#4 Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Substitute

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Agree entirely. In the US where racism is institutionalised, prevalent and people in those communities are massively disadvantaged then I can understand such things. In the UK where race is much less an issue, then the black football awards are racist and have no place in a society striving for equality.

I am sick of us following the US in everything, just because we share a common language the society and cultures are massively different.

#5 bestwood_red!

bestwood_red!

Substitute

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

Jason Roberts threatened to sort me out because I said surely tokenism is as insulting as exclusion. He said something like one in five positions in football should be filled by a black person. I said what if five jobs are available and the top five qualified candidiates are white. He said drop the fifth best white and hire the first best black person. I said thats tokenism and doesnt do anyone any good and he started saying Im white so I dont get it.

#6 Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Substitute

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

Jason Roberts threatened to sort me out because I said surely tokenism is as insulting as exclusion. He said something like one in five positions in football should be filled by a black person. I said what if five jobs are available and the top five qualified candidiates are white. He said drop the fifth best white and hire the first best black person. I said thats tokenism and doesnt do anyone any good and he started saying Im white so I dont get it.

So 20% of football jobs should go to black people when they account for less than 10% of the population? I bet he wouldn't complain if 80% of jobs went to black people because they were the best people for the job. The fact he threatened to "sort you out" for a perfectly reasonable question, that could facilitate a healthy debate, highlights the lack of depth to his thought process.

#7 H-Block

H-Block

Back-Up Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

Agree entirely. In the US where racism is institutionalised, prevalent and people in those communities are massively disadvantaged then I can understand such things. In the UK where race is much less an issue...

Sorry, chaps, but anyone who thinks race isn't an issue in the UK is naive to the reality. The evidence from employment and criminal justice research & statistics speaks volumes. I'm not even sure we're that different to the US in terms of the actual racial discrimination, the only difference is their cops have guns - only takes one gun to off on an innocent / undeserving black person and you get the sort of race riots and community segregation they've experienced over there.

Getting back on topic, I actually agree that we shouldn't have a separate black football awards.

#8 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

Sorry, chaps, but anyone who thinks race isn't an issue in the UK is naive to the reality. The evidence from employment and criminal justice research & statistics speaks volumes. I'm not even sure we're that different to the US in terms of the actual racial discrimination, the only difference is their cops have guns - only takes one gun to off on an innocent / undeserving black person and you get the sort of race riots and community segregation they've experienced over there.

Fair point, just had a look at the statistics and it looks like you're pretty much twice as likely to be unemployed statistically if you aren't white here although I still think much of that is to do with most black people here being 'working class'.  That said we still are so far off the US, big attempts have been made here to redress any imbalances, over there they've systematically segregated and fucked over the black population. 

#9 Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Substitute

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

Sorry, chaps, but anyone who thinks race isn't an issue in the UK is naive to the reality.

I never said it wasn't an issue, I said it was much less an issue than the US. Like fuck is it a case of the US cops merely having guns, as Charlie points out, how the US treat the black population is abhorrent. Some of the UK's race problems comes through immigration and poverty, as is a more a relic of the class system than out and out racism, however, there are laws in place to try an redress the balance. We should be striving for equality and not using crap like positive discrimination or tokenism.  

#10 H-Block

H-Block

Back-Up Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

Chaps, I have nothing against any of you but I'm not sure seeking to mitigate our own racial problems as deriving from the class system really stacks up. After all,  in America, having 13% of the population descended from people who were once slaves has created a class system in all but name.

In the UK black people are three times more likely to be arrested than white people, young black people are 9 times more likely to receive a custodial sentence than young white people, black graduates twice as more likely to be unemployed than white graduates........you can't blame all this on the class system, the disparities are too large.

As this is the football part of the forum, lets get back on topic. Need I remind you that an independent investigation recently found that black and mixed race female England players had been subjected to racially discriminatory comments from their manager? Were these comments also the fault of the class system?

#11 i.k.s

i.k.s

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 6,765 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:39 AM

Getting back on topic, I actually agree that we shouldn't have a separate black football awards.

There are more black men in UK prisons because they disproportionaly commit more crime. http://www.telegraph...on-of-race.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users