Bcrawa

Dirty Leeds

Our defence is awful, simple as. We've made some very intelligent and cost effective buys in strengthening the midfield and forward line but the defence has been and will continue to be our achilles heel. This defeat may not have come at a bad time, as it gives some food for thought while the transfer window is still open. It's no secret that we're on the lookout for a new keeper but we need to be dipping into the market for at least one centre half. We can't possibly go through the season with Mills, Worrall, Mancienne and Hobbs making the odd cameo appearance.

Our defence is awful, simple as.

I thought Mills had an excellent game yesterday Caz. It's those around him that go missing at critical times. Playing Traore and Darikwa as wing backs doesn't work. They're not good enough for that particular role, especially against a decent side like Leeds.They get caught out of position far too often. If we gonna play that system, we need a third centre half in there to cover for them.

We were found out yesterday, Leeds had done their homework, and knew exactly how to play against us. They stopped us from passing the ball, and we didn't have a reply.

A lot on here have raved about Murphy, and I don't get it. As a lone striker/target man, he's too slow. At 34, that yard of pace has gone. He gets beaten to the ball far too easily.

Who on here said that he didn't rate Leeds? Was you watching a different match to us? They played some fantastic football, bossed us from start to finish, and will only get better once their new players settle in. Got top 4 written all over them in my opinion.

As for Forest, that was a wake up call. I've watched the last 1 and a half games without Vaughan in the midfield, and I must say, our midfield is shite without him in there. I thought Bridcutt might be the answer, but he was anonymous yesterday.

Having said all that, I still think we'll improve as the season goes on, and I think we'll have a decent campaign, but my biggest worry is that two teams already this season have shown that if you pressure and out muscle Forest, we don't have much of an answer.

Already briefly discussed our weaknesses in other threads, so not highlighting those serious issues that need to be rectified by the manager. Yesterday was mainly a problem of using the wrong tactics, which was partly the fault of Warburton and failure to investigate the rival manager and team formation. Last evening it was the first time I've seen the triangular system used in the Championship, it is where the opposition use the quick one touch system, and move. This tactic provides an avenue for the player with the ball the ability and access to two players to pass, it's a fast based system that when used to the full potential is difficult to breakdown, fortunately Leeds had only the defensive side of the technique fully realised and working. This meant every time a forest player had the ball, three Leeds players were preventing the pass (by each being equidistant in a triangular formation). Usually the only way to stop this system is either utilise the length of a large pitch, play a direct or physical football, or breakout through taking the players on or having assistance to block those players. Normally though you need quick, re-active play to spread out and stretch the formation. Sadly the starting eleven were incapable to do this partly with age, and tactics.

Initially I was surprised by Warburton's selection of Bridcutt, whereby immediately selected to play but it was understandable with the injury of Vaughan. Unfortunately what yesterday highlighted that wasn't apparent in prior games is the inability to create in the centre of the pitch, and dominate the midfield in that position. Bouchalakis kept losing the ball either through poor passing or simply being tackled. Neither the central pairing were controlling, dictating or holding the play, and like last season the Leeds players had the option to simply press through the centre without opposition due to the players being too deep. In attack the team were one-dimensional with McKay being a massive positive attempting to press and take on their midfield and defence single-handedly. Whether it was intentional but Osborn, Bouchalakis, Dowell, and especially Dariwka, were not really in the game, failing to show their presence, maybe due to manager playing a zonal game, or the one dimensional attack. Worryingly the players over-passed, losing the ball, or were undecided to which player to pass, as the midfield were too deep. In truth the players looked indecisive, lacklustre and unsure with the tactics, especially at home.

Edited by nemesiz

Still got 9 points from 15 and sat in the top 6.

Similar start to last season. I hope the rest of the season doesn't pan out the same .

Leeds only looked good cos we let them.

Only 4 shots on target.

If they were a decent team they would have had half dozen goals against a defence like ours.

Edited by Fatles

Leeds only looked good cos we let them.

Only 4 shots on target.

If they were a decent team they would have had half dozen goals against a defence like ours.

I'd argue they looked good because they were a much better team than us. It was more that we looked rubbish because they made us look rubbish.

Charlie,

I think you'd agree that yesterday we looked clueless. I didn't get the impression it was because we were playing Leeds.

We looked the same against Millwall, I'd say we were even worse then.

When we did actually do a few good runs on the wing, Murphy was on his own in the box.

Tactics and the inability to change them for whatever reason, lost us the match.

We had big lumps up front when we should have had runners like cummings and walker.

Leeds created very little until our errant right back fucked the game for good but they still bossed it from start to finish, McKay apart. I hate the fuckers but they played like a promotion team. We could have played for a month and still be unable to create a proper chance. I guess if we were able to direct it up a bit we might have but as we won't...

Agree that we need to change the approach when it's not working. Last night we were pissing in the wind yet we persisted with the slow build up from the back. Time after time it went nowhere and as often as not back to Smith. At 2-0 down we played like a side that was 2-0 up and just looking to run the clock down. With 30 left we should have gone route 1 with some urgency.

I thought Mills had an excellent game yesterday Caz

That he did but his good games are few and far between. As for Bridcutt - he has proven to be a very good player in his position but won't do it all on his own. We have a good attacking unit but they're too lightweight on the backfoot, so may need to sacrifice an attacker to bring Vaughan in alongside Brid.

It'll be interesting to see Warburton's next team selection after that game.

A lot or criticism from previous fans to Warbuton is that he has no plan b, can only play one way and doesn't concentrate enough on the defence. That seemed the case yesterday as with 15 to go there is something to be said for playing more direct with Murphy up front and after bringing on 3 attackers and yet Mills and Worrall who in my opinion are not ball playing centre halves are knocking it back and forth.

At one point with twenty to go they passed it back to the keeper from the Leeds half.

I think we will be ok this season but we won't be in the play offs unless we change the centre halves. Also I am not convinced Dowell should be a shoe in and Darikwa should be in front of Lichaj.

One thing is for certain is that the Leeds manager can spot a player and I think they will go up this year

Charlie,

I think you'd agree that yesterday we looked clueless. I didn't get the impression it was because we were playing Leeds.

We looked the same against Millwall, I'd say we were even worse then.

When we did actually do a few good runs on the wing, Murphy was on his own in the box.

Tactics and the inability to change them for whatever reason, lost us the match.

We had big lumps up front when we should have had runners like cummings and walker.

Agree with that but that doesn't change the fact that only one of our players didn't get bossed by their opponent. Despite our obvious tactical failings when we play a team that knows how to play us, there's also the point that they just looked a lot better. Millwall could have scored a shitload but they didn't look very good, Leeds did. It's alright though, they're a year ahead of us in their development. If we look that good next year I'll be more than happy.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

I didn't think Leeds were that good. They just looked like a well-organised, solid Championship side. Reading some of the comments on here you'd think Real Madrid just came to town.

They didn't exactly pepper our goal, in fact did Smith have a single save to make? They were excellent at breaking up our game though.

What we need to be able to do is to change up when teams do that to us, because every team now will have seen that and will do exactly what Leeds did, particularly at home.

I didn't think Leeds were that good. They just looked like a well-organised, solid Championship side. Reading some of the comments on here you'd think Real Madrid just came to town.

They didn't exactly pepper our goal, in fact did Smith have a single save to make? They were excellent at breaking up our game though.

What we need to be able to do is to change up when teams do that to us, because every team now will have seen that and will do exactly what Leeds did, particularly at home.

They were good in their execution of analysing what he did and going out to stop us doing it.

They were good in their execution of analysing what he did and going out to stop us doing it.

That was the master stroke. We need to be willing and able to change things completely when it's going that badly for us I.e when we have been sussed out and shackled.

I don't think Leeds have let a goal in in 4 games now and they are unbeaten. They are a good side and will be top 6 at the end of the season. Not a good day from us but it needs to be noted that Leeds are a good side...

Those fat cunts fighting over a pie (if that's true) are an absolute shambles 😁