Sign in to follow this  
Ricknffc

rooney's international retirement

Pity it wasn't ten years ago.

It certainly looked like he had. waiting for some hack to start mithering that we're missing him. Not a loss for me.

Rooney has suffered from several things...

1. Starting his England career so well raised expectations hugely to Pele-like levels.

2. He was part of a 'golden generation' that was completely mismanaged and entered several tournaments either injured, banned or unfit.

3. In the last 2 tournaments he had a manager who didn't realise the team was better without him and tried to shoehorn him into the team even if it meant playing out of position.

I feel a little bit sorry for him as he's been unlucky in a way - everyone good retiring just leaving him to carry the team and the injuries he's had pre-tournaments mainly due to his hustle and bustling style. I never saw him not give 100% for England and I can't really ask for more than that. He's done a hell of a lot more for his national team than anyone else playing in the last 20 years.

Edited by Savo

Brilliant player, agree with Nottm red,

People forget how good he was in euro 2004 with Michael owen(another that got injured alot.), I remember against france he was schooling Zidane etc and was on track to be top scorer until he did his ankle in.

Beckham overrated

Rooney, brilliant....

Strange timing, he's struggled on for the last three years despite being pretty useless then we get two or three England meet ups away from the World Cup and he quits. Although it's understandable if he'd rather not be associated with another England World Cup showing. Still, with a couple more International breaks off it does free up more time for getting pissed up party0047.gif