The link up play between the likes of clough mckay dowell looks really promising, they look like they have played with each other for a season already. Dowell really deserved that left foot effort to go in, and if clough could have dispatched the back heel that dowell had given to him that would have been a great goal, obviously them 2 combined for the disallowed goal too. Those 2 young gents have already hit it off with each other lol.

Edited by Ricknffc

Agreed. The positive is though that we look good on the ball for the first time in years.

We looked OK on the ball, but there was very little penetration. We were slow getting players forward in support, and at least 3 times McKay hit the by line and there was no fucker in the box. This is highlighted in the stats. Only 2 shots on target, and both of them from outside the box.

I thought Darikwa had a decent game, but he doesn't link up with his right winger like Lichaj does. Needs time to adjust to our style of play. Murphy looked lost, and was very slow to react when the ball was played to him. Worrall's inexperience showed last night, and was muscled off the ball too easy. Mancienne needs a Mills or Hobbs alongside him. That defensive pairing doesn't work.

What last night did prove is that we need a brute in midfield. We are too lightweight and it was alarming how easy Millwall cut through us.

Hopefully MW could see this last night and will address it in the coming weeks.

Very pleased that we still managed to grab a win from that performance. We would have lost that game last season.

Read this morning from a Rangers fan;

"Loved Warburton at 1st Rangers, and he does get his players to play for him, but not sure if there has ever been a more stubborn predictable manager. Rigid 4-3-3, no emphasis on defending, no defenders on posts at set pieces, total football from keeper and back 4, like for like substitutions on 60 mins, no plan B, short corners with few crosses into the box, so many cheap goals conceded. When it comes off (like when Rangers beat Celtic at Hampden. Quote Maurice Johnston "Rangers are playing like Barca") then it's a joy to watch. When they can't defend for their lives (especially at set pieces) and lose to Hibs it's unbelievably frustrating. He's a very limited manager but does endeavour to play football with style and on the deck. Clearly transfer policy only stretched to players from the English Championship and below, so now he's back where he knowledge lies he'll have his best chance to succeed. Winning the Warburton way is a joy to watch but can't see such a limited manager ever really succeeding without having the very best players to chose from".

Just throwing it out there.

Read this morning from a Rangers fan;

"Loved Warburton at 1st Rangers, and he does get his players to play for him, but not sure if there has ever been a more stubborn predictable manager. Rigid 4-3-3, no emphasis on defending, no defenders on posts at set pieces, total football from keeper and back 4, like for like substitutions on 60 mins, no plan B, short corners with few crosses into the box, so many cheap goals conceded. When it comes off (like when Rangers beat Celtic at Hampden. Quote Maurice Johnston "Rangers are playing like Barca") then it's a joy to watch. When they can't defend for their lives (especially at set pieces) and lose to Hibs it's unbelievably frustrating. He's a very limited manager but does endeavour to play football with style and on the deck. Clearly transfer policy only stretched to players from the English Championship and below, so now he's back where he knowledge lies he'll have his best chance to succeed. Winning the Warburton way is a joy to watch but can't see such a limited manager ever really succeeding without having the very best players to chose from".

Just throwing it out there.

I am a big fan of MW's style of play, and it is a joy to watch when it all goes right. Reading the posts on here, most are trying to take positives out of last night's performance, and there were some, especially McKay's debut performance. But what I will say, looking at the performance from a non biased viewpoint, if we play like that all season, we may well struggle at the wrong end of the table. We should have lost that game 4-1, and other teams won't be as wasteful in front of goal. We need to spend a good wedge of the Britt money on defence and defensive midfield.

I was just writing as you post this.

A lot of people have mixed views on last night and rightfully so. It is obvious through Warburton's press conferences that he has a style of playing and he also made no secrets that he was going to play that way no matter what. I think we will unlock a lot of teams this season with the style Warburton wants to play. I just hope that when they suss us out we have another gear we can click into and get the job done. I hope we dont get nullified by teams with no alternative route. I'm all for the style of play Warburton wants to use and besides I dont really think we have the different type of player required for a dramatically different plan B.

In forest's defence to last nights performance, I do think it was an extremely hard first game back last night. To be outdone physically man for man all over the pitch in your first game back must have been energy sapping and millwall will create a lot of problems this season with their direct style of play. So to get a victory over the line when we had the likes of Vaughan jumping against Steve morrison and co i think we take the 3 points and move on to some more technical challenges.

COYR

It's a win and a welcome win. Great to get three points on the table, in front of a bumper crowd. McKay stood out, as did Dowell when he came on. If we can get it all to click in attack, scoring goals won't be a problem. It's at the other end of the pitch that's the real concern. Looking at the upcoming fixtures, I can't see many victories against the teams we play between now and the end of September, unless we bring in that much needed centre half and central midfielder.

Edited by Caz

I am a big fan of MW's style of play, and it is a joy to watch when it all goes right. Reading the posts on here, most are trying to take positives out of last night's performance, and there were some, especially McKay's debut performance. But what I will say, looking at the performance from a non biased viewpoint, if we play like that all season, we may well struggle at the wrong end of the table. We should have lost that game 4-1, and other teams won't be as wasteful in front of goal. We need to spend a good wedge of the Britt money on defence and defensive midfield.

This

Edited by molymoly

Just looking back at the millwall disallowed goal again we are lucky that the ref and or linesman have seen it and acted upon it cos it could so easily have been swept under the rug, brave decision by the ref, Jordan smith does get taken out off the ball as lee Gregory can't connect with an attempted header

I don't think the back four did a lot wrong yesterday, if the other team are two on one 'cause you've got no protection from the midfield they're always going to get done.

That and we're too predictable playing out from the back so it's too easy for the likes of Millwall's big bastards to stop us from playing.

I'm hoping that Greek fella is good, the Everton midfielder looks like he could do well and we need to keep Vaughan fit or buy someone else.

I know we have a couple of issues with defensive frailties but I do think that was extra exposed last night because of the opposition we were playing and the fact it was the first game of the season. I believe they would have caused any team in the division quite a lot of problems last night and that will probably be one of their better performances of the season. For many years we have been poor to stop crosses entering the box and we need to do better with that.

And yet when I suggested they would beat us and out muscle us you did your nut at me. If that was 1-3 or 1-4 no one could have had any complaints

Warbuton needs to get a centre mid. Since Lansbury went we have been shit there and if we dont spend a couple of million now on someone it will fuck the whole season and we will be around the relegation spots.

I also thought Warbuton could not have done much research on Millwall or he would have played Mills alongside Mancienne or Worrall as every **** and his brother know they are route one.

But a win is a win and let's hope the midfielder arrives before the window closes

Edited by E R

And yet when I suggested they would beat us and out muscle us you did your nut at me. If that was 1-3 or 1-4 no one could have had any complaints

Warbuton needs to get a centre mid. Since Lansbury went we have been shit there and if we dont spend a couple of million now on someone it will fuck the whole season and we will be around the relegation spots.

I also thought Warbuton could not have done much research on Millwall or he would have played Mills alongside Mancienne or Worrall as every **** and his brother know they are route one.

But a win is a win and let's hope the midfielder arrives before the window closes

I feel the same. Without an experienced midfield anchorman, we're going to be flirting with relegation again this season. There's so many strong squads in the Championship this year. Villa's starting 11 looked mustard today, at least on paper.

No based on your negative attitude toward everything at forest at the moment I asked for you to explain your opinion. You said 2-1 lose and I said if that's your opinion that's fine, at the end of the day its a game of football it can be any score line. But the negativity you created basically making out we have no chance at all this season on improving, writing us off before a ball had been kicked i dont feel is any use.

I've always stated that yes a midfielder and defender would be good business but Warburton will also get the players we already have playing better and I won't spend the entire season berating marinakis and warburton

Ha ha you drama queen - you are new to this forum but the negativity I created? Have a day off will you you sound like a right melt and I have never "basically made out we have no chance of improving this season or written us off"

We do have a good chance to improve but I stand by the fact that Quasi and Biscuit legs need help in the centre or we will be a lower placed team. Have some great attacking players no doubt about that - maybe too many

People were posting up there predictive scores and I just found it off that the glaring problem from last year has been ignored yet people all of a sudden thought we were going to destroy them

Just deluded or over excited at the new season and hearts ruling their heads I guess.

I won't predict going forward if I don't think we will win in case the negativity it creates upsets you

Don't watch this whatever you do you will hang yourself

Edited by E R

I think our midfield hasn't been great since we got rid of Guedioura. We've got plenty of midfielders who are good going forward but we need one other than Vaughan who does the simple stuff and gives the defence cover.

I was wondering if that Scouse kid could be the answer. He won't be flying into tackles but he could close down and harass and take the pressure off of Vaughan and is certainly a box to box type. He scored a couple of good goals for Everton in preseason and seemed to drive them forward

I agree, we could be alright if the players that didn't play can do the job we need, it was just a strange midfield we put out yesterday considering we played it for half of last season and it didn't work then.

Drama queen? You made out its all doom and gloom and there was nothing left to live for now Britt has gone.

We are going to be a lower placed team this season deal with it. Rome wasn't built In a day.

And I dont have to watch the highlights, I was there.

Edited by Ricknffc

First I heard about this..so out the loop nowadays.

A Millwall football supporter has appeared in court over the killing a rival fan - the first allegedly match-related death for six years.

Andrew Lewis, 49, has been charged with the manslaughter of Paul O'Donnell on the opening day of the Championship season at Nottingham Forest's City Ground.

Prosecutors say he punched pipe fitter Mr O'Donnell, 56, in a car park outside the stadium before kick-off. The combined ages of the men is 105.

The Friday night game on August 4 - won by the hosts 1-0 - had been brought forward by a day to avoid clashing with cricket at neighbouring Trent Bridge on Saturday.

Mr O'Donnell, known as 'Ducksy', was found in a critical condition at his home in New Balderton near Newark two weeks later and died in hospital.

Lewis, of Bromley, south east London, was given bail this week at a seven minute hearing before city magistrates and ordered to appear at Nottingham Crown Court on March 20.