Sign in to follow this  
H-Block

Champions League

Ill be honest I hate them more than Derby, Id support any team in the world over Liverpool.

Karius complaining the ball was kicked out of his hands when it was two yards away is brilliant.

I bet you laughed when the charter flights were cancelled, Bestie...... :wink2:

No that was really horrible, people were denied a once in a lifetime opportunity. Plus it gives people who want a two legged final, which I dont, more ammo.

Seeing the Liverpool fans crying on tele was good though haha

Another 4-1 victory for Real Madrid........yawn.......boring end to what has degenerated into a boring competition?

Is it time for a revamp? UEFA's idea is to guarantee four places each for England, Spain, Germany and Italy. I don't see how that makes the tournament more interesting or avoids another Real Madrid landslide victory?

In my opinion, one of two options are needed. Both are drastic but could bring some excitement back to the competition.

1) Accept that this is a tournament for rich clubs and make it a closed league like the NBA. The richest, best supported teams would have a license to be in the league for X seasons. This avoids wasting time in the group stages with matches where the likes of Real Madrid trounce (say) Dinamo Zagreb 5-0. Before anyone says it couldn't work, this model has been adopted successfully by the basketball Euroleague. That league is semi-closed, with 11 teams having long term licenses and the other teams being the champions from the strongest leagues and the winners of their version of the Europa League. Introducing salary and transfer caps all teams had to adhere to should keep the competition fair and avoid the sort of trouncings we've been seeing in the finals of late.

2) Go the other way and make it a competition just for the Champions again. No group stages, just two legged knockout. Maybe even one legged knockout, to make things more exciting. No seeding, you could get Real Madrid - Bayern Munich in the first round. This wouldn't avoid one sided finals but would bring about surprise finalists from time to time, which would be great for the spirit of the sport. It would also avoid the wasted group stage matches alluded to at point 1.

Of course, less games means less attendance revenue meaning the clubs wouldn't go for this. BUT could such a tournament be ran alongside the existing Champions League? A UEFA Cup, so to speak?

Was I right or was I right? :smile_anim:

The perfect day football results wise . Fulham beating Villa and the Micky's getting a hiding .. Happy , happy days .. :thumbsup_still: :thumbsup_still: :thumbsup_still:

Ill be honest I hate them more than Derby, Id support any team in the world over Liverpool.

Karius complaining the ball was kicked out of his hands when it was two yards away is brilliant.

No way. Shaggers to lose whoever they play but glad Liverpool lost tonight but they bought it on themselves having their very own Jordan Smith in goal.

Well Done to Fulham too, kept those fuckers down with us for next season.

Edited by JohnReese

Was I right or was I right? :smile_anim:

I agree that it should only be the champions taking part else whys it called Champions League? Also agree that it should be two legged knockout every round, none of this crap where you could lose two or three matches and still be in the tournament and Yes it should be an open draw where seeded teams aren't kept apart (though you know it would still be fixed for Real Madrid & Barca never to meet until at least the semi finals)

Some still argue that it's harder to win with the current format than it was when we were winning it but I highly disagree but I'm sure Chelsea and Mancs fans wouldn't.

I think whether it's harder or easier depends who you are. It's stacked in favour of the established super clubs so if you're Real Madrid it's easier but if you're say Leicester City it's harder. It's certainly easier for Liverpool under the current format as under the old one they wouldn't even have made round one for the last twenty five years.

I can't be bothered with it these days, I forgot it was even happening.

Edited by Art Vandelay

It's harder to win now surely. Easier to get into it 'perhaps' but harder to actually win. Yes you could lose a few times and still win it but you could in the old days...theoretically you could lose the first leg in each round and still go through.

Plus you look at some of the opposition you could face back then i.e some of the teams we faced en route to the finals and they're nobodies, do some of them even exist anymore? Now you're likely to face a powerhouse from Italy Spain or England because there are more of them.

Previously it was full of the champions of Europe, now it's full of the best teams. It's also the pinnacle of the sport in terms of quality...even more so than the World Cup.

I really don't agree. Everything is set up to get the easiest path possible for the top clubs now. With the groups and seedings it's a virtual bye to the quarter finals for the likes of Real Madrid.

You can't be saying it was easier for Forest - We had to beat probably the best side in Europe over two legs just to make round two! Do you think Real Madrid would rather have had a four team group that's seeded so it's not too hard and where they only need to finish second or two games against Barcelona?

We both know who the last eight will be next year more or less already under this format. If it was straight knockout with no seeeding it'd be a lot harder to predict. Surely that proves the current format makes it easier for the top clubs?

Edited by Art Vandelay

Agree Art, with the money involved football is a rigged game now before you start with the seeding. Before you had to go head to head with actual champions from around Europe, no rigging the draw either, we had to knock the then best team in the World out just to get past the first round. The modern day equivelent only gets that hard once you get to the later stages.

You could get Liverpool in the first round but you could've also got Odense, Linfield, Valetta or Progrès Niedercorn whoever they are. Nowadays you get into the group's and you're guaranteed each game pretty much is tough. Yes because it's a closed shop to an extent but that means the qualityis higher and therefore it's more difficult to win IMO.

You could get Liverpool in the first round but you could've also got Odense, Linfield, Valetta or Progrès Niedercorn whoever they are. Nowadays you get into the group's and you're guaranteed each game pretty much is tough. Yes because it's a closed shop to an extent but that means the qualityis higher and therefore it's more difficult to win IMO.

You've been busy googling this morning!

Real Madrid had Apoel, Liverpool had Maribor...Such high quality opponents so, Oh yes, they must've been really tough group games.

That it's called the " Champions League " is an oxymoron .. As others have alluded to a team can , provided they play in one of the better leagues in Europe , qualify to enter when finishing as low as 4th in their domestic league .

It's a completely different format to the European Cup as was and designed to ensure the so called " elite " clubs qualify annually . This ensures they receive a healthy revenue stream .. In my opinion it's now become virtually a closed shop for the super rich clubs and f* ck all the rest ..

You've been busy googling this morning!

Real Madrid had Apoel, Liverpool had Maribor...Such high quality opponents so, Oh yes, they must've been really tough group games.

There's a few teams currently that get in that can't compete but that's good...if they weren't there people like you would moan even more.

I picked out 4 names from the 78/79 season but could've literally picked another 10 maybe more that were just cannon fodder. If you liked watching Zbrojovka Brno vs Újpesti Dózsa back in the day then good for you but I'll take a higher-quality game like Liverpool vs City this year (2 non-domestic champions).

And no I didn't just make those teams up...that was a genuine first round tie in 1978. I consider myself to have a pretty wide range of football knowledge and hadn't actually heard of 10 of the first round teams in 1978 and 12 of the teams in 79/80.

My overall point is that because you get more teams from the top leagues the quality is higher. Therefore it is more difficult to win.

Edited by Savo

Looking into it further I can see Forest played 9 games to win it. Real Madrid won it this year after playing 13 games.

Forests route to the final was Oster, Arges Piesti, Dynamo Berlin, Ajax, Hamberg.

Real Madrids was a group of Dortmund, Spurs, Apoel (who probably would've been one of the big boys in 78 :D)

PSG 2nd round, Juventus quarters, Bayern semis and Liverpool final.

It's laughable IMO to suggest it used to be harder to win.

There's a few teams currently that get in that can't compete but that's good...if they weren't there people like you would moan even more.

I picked out 4 names from the 78/79 season but could've literally picked another 10 maybe more that were just cannon fodder. If you liked watching Zbrojovka Brno vs Újpesti Dózsa back in the day then good for you but I'll take a higher-quality game like Liverpool vs City this year (2 non-domestic champions).

And no I didn't just make those teams up...that was a genuine first round tie in 1978. I consider myself to have a pretty wide range of football knowledge and hadn't actually heard of 10 of the first round teams in 1978 and 12 of the teams in 79/80.

My overall point is that because you get more teams from the top leagues the quality is higher. Therefore it is more difficult to win.

People like me would complain if there weren't any teams like Maribor & Apoel in the Champions League? Aren't you the one saying it's harder to win now though & how it was easier with more of "those teams" around when we won it?

In the old format, if you lost your first match 4-0 you were most likely already out but now, you could lose your first two matches 4-0 and still go through to last 16! If you deem that as "harder" that's up to you but can't see many who would agree with you.

Looking into it further I can see Forest played 9 games to win it. Real Madrid won it this year after playing 13 games.

Forests route to the final was Oster, Arges Piesti, Dynamo Berlin, Ajax, Hamberg.

Real Madrids was a group of Dortmund, Spurs, Apoel (who probably would've been one of the big boys in 78 :D)

Trust you to pick the 1980 tournament... In 1979 we had Holders Liverpool first round, Aek Athens second round, Grasshoopers, who'd knocked out Real Madrid in previous round, in quarter final, Cologne in semi final & Malmo.

Real Madrid & Spurs were always gonna be the two that went through from that group coz Apoel was just two byes each and Dortmund just aren't the team they were a few years ago which Madrid knew by easing off & allowing Spurs to top the group.

Something tells me Savo that you are really a fan of Real Madrid but one who likes to frequent forums of the lesser clubs.

Something tells me Savo that you are really a fan of Real Madrid but one who likes to frequent forums of the lesser clubs.

Brilliant :lol:

I've been a part of the forest online forum 'community' probably since you were in nappies (guessing you're about 17?)

Brilliant :lol:

I've been a part of the forest online forum 'community' probably since you were in nappies (guessing you're about 17?)

You'd be wrong again Savo (not surprisingly) By the way, in the old format Real Madrid would've been knocked out by Spurs (4-2 agg)

You're a bit young to know this but Ajax back then were one of the biggest clubs in the World and best sides, think Holland of that era. Germany was two countries back then and we beat the champions of both of them. And again, you didn't get a few games against rigged oppostion to get through,, you got who you got and had to beat them over two legs so couldn't even spawn your way through. Your trouble here is having no context to compare.