Sign in to follow this  
H-Block

Champions League

Another 4-1 victory for Real Madrid........yawn.......boring end to what has degenerated into a boring competition?

Is it time for a revamp? UEFA's idea is to guarantee four places each for England, Spain, Germany and Italy. I don't see how that makes the tournament more interesting or avoids another Real Madrid landslide victory?

In my opinion, one of two options are needed. Both are drastic but could bring some excitement back to the competition.

1) Accept that this is a tournament for rich clubs and make it a closed league like the NBA. The richest, best supported teams would have a license to be in the league for X seasons. This avoids wasting time in the group stages with matches where the likes of Real Madrid trounce (say) Dinamo Zagreb 5-0. Before anyone says it couldn't work, this model has been adopted successfully by the basketball Euroleague. That league is semi-closed, with 11 teams having long term licenses and the other teams being the champions from the strongest leagues and the winners of their version of the Europa League. Introducing salary and transfer caps all teams had to adhere to should keep the competition fair and avoid the sort of trouncings we've been seeing in the finals of late.

2) Go the other way and make it a competition just for the Champions again. No group stages, just two legged knockout. Maybe even one legged knockout, to make things more exciting. No seeding, you could get Real Madrid - Bayern Munich in the first round. This wouldn't avoid one sided finals but would bring about surprise finalists from time to time, which would be great for the spirit of the sport. It would also avoid the wasted group stage matches alluded to at point 1.

Of course, less games means less attendance revenue meaning the clubs wouldn't go for this. BUT could such a tournament be ran alongside the existing Champions League? A UEFA Cup, so to speak?

Edited by H-Block

2, Champions. The competition as it is is just about money. At least have the decency to change the name.

This.

I've totally lost interest in the thing. There's fuck all interest in the other domestic competitions because this cup dominates the thinking of clubs.

Sadly the big clubs will prevent any proposed changes to the Champions League format. Too much money to be made by them. I read that Man Utd are gauranteed £50m just for qualifying.

It's a very tedious competition isn't it? I've taken less and less interest every year for the last decade and for the last two seasons didn't watch any of it apart from some of the final. I take more interest in the Johnson's Paint/Checkatrade Trophy. It doesn't really feel like it's anything to do with actual football and is just a sort of exhibition event for Europe's most wealthy.

Apart from the silly checkintrade wasteofspace...I totally agree. I can well see the Champions League finla soon being played in China or Qatar of some God forsaken shithole filled with money.

Have to disagree. Yes it is a closed shop to a degree but it's the highest standard of football around and for me any fan of the game should enjoy the ridiculously high level of play.

A lot of it is shit though isn't it? I have to say, I don't bother with it anymore. I didn't even watch the final.

How can that be called the highest level of footy. All any of 'em do is roll about cheat left right and centre, and complain to th Ref demanding yellow cards and such. It is quite frankly, bollocks!

How can that be called the highest level of footy. All any of 'em do is roll about cheat left right and centre, and complain to th Ref demanding yellow cards and such. It is quite frankly, bollocks!

What is the highest level of the game and please don't say the Premier league.

A lot of it is shit though isn't it? I have to say, I don't bother with it anymore. I didn't even watch the final.

Anything in the knock-outs is of a very high quality. We all know the group is a bit of a formality but when the competition really starts you see some great football.

I watched Real vs Bayern in the quarters and the standard was unbelievable, far beyond anything we normally see in this country.

Useless Italian Cunts - 2 nil up and draw 2-2

Credit to Spurs though Jamie. Awful start, then bossed Juve's cheating cunts for 80 minutes.

I always have, and still do, hate Italian football.

How did Welbeck manage to win that penalty last night? He wasn't touched, but played for the pen and went down like a sack of spuds.

I hate it, and it's the main reason I'm falling out with the modern game.

So, there's two English clubs and three Spanish clubs in the last eight, and surprise surprise, English teams drawn against each other, and all 3 Spanish teams avoid each other.

What a fix.

How did Welbeck manage to win that penalty last night? He wasn't touched, but played for the pen and went down like a sack of spuds.

I hate it, and it's the main reason I'm falling out with the modern game.

Hello Dane.

The incident you refer to relates to the Europa League game between Arsenal and AC Milan. This is the Champions League thread. If you wish to discuss Europa League matters, could you please start your own thread?

Thank you kindly. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chelsea got humiliated, Springboard Spurs bottled it big time and Mancs Utd LOL

Only a fraud manager like Jose would deflect his team's defeat by stating how his team's have previously knocked Mancs out of CL at Old Trafford!

Detest the bloke and glad his team lost.

Winning the Champions League with two unfamcied side and the league in four different countries is hardly the behaviour of a fraud. Yes he needs to take responsibility more but Mourinho is one of the best managers of all time.

Winning the Champions League with two unfamcied side and the league in four different countries is hardly the behaviour of a fraud. Yes he needs to take responsibility more but Mourinho is one of the best managers of all time.

That's your opinion but I disagree with that. Porto aside, he's always had huge amounts of money to buy success. He would change my opinion of him if he were to go to a club with no money to spend, managed the available players at that club & then won a league title but that scenario will never happen because he's a chequebook manager, just like Guardiola and will only be interested in working at a club with vast fortunes available to him. Ask yourself this, if Jose was at West Brom would they be top four or would they be bottom three? Think we both know the answer to that & I know for a fact that if he was at Forest we'd be no nearer the play offs than we are now.

The Greatest managers in history take a mid table second tier club to European Cup victory within five years... Anyone?