9 replies to this topic

#1 the_saurus

the_saurus

Fringe Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

I could have mentioned this in the "whats changed thread" but i thought why not have a whole thread on it.

My thoughts of Automation are very mixed, one of the few topics like the death penalty i flip flop on.

Automation obviously has been happening for years, but not on this scale imo.

We are now seeing skilled and mass unskilled jobs Automated. Now the Free market conservative in me thinks this is a good thing, it "frees people up to be more productive". Everyone a winner right?

Well i think Automation could work, in well educated advanced society like Singapore, New Englad America, Herts england, basically well educated areas of the world.

However just telling people "be more productive" has some complications. What about third world countries which rely on Manual work? Lets say in the 1980s the mines fell through purely because of Automation, Mansfield would still have Geographical/regional/Structural unemployment like it does today? Which tells me, if you are going to Automate, we must have a better education system in place to train the people being Automated to be "more productive"

check our this article on Bloomberg

https://www.bloomber...ots-fewer-jobs/

thoughts?

Posted Image

#2 i.k.s

i.k.s

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

I could have mentioned this in the "whats changed thread"

Yeah you could of. Zzzzzz

#3 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 5,501 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

I thought this was going to be an interesting nerdy thread about the values of automation in music production.  Never mind.

As I've been hoodwinked on to the thread, you know when you get stuck with somebody who blurts on about their job all the time and apart from thinking fucking hell this is boring it also makes me think nobody does a proper job these days.  Anyway, the fact that people these days are mostly pretending to work while pumping up their self importance it will eventually lead to one of those systems where everyone is given money to live on and what you earn on top of that is yours.  I can't remember the name. 

#4 the_saurus

the_saurus

Fringe Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

I thought this was going to be an interesting nerdy thread about the values of automation in music production.  Never mind.

As I've been hoodwinked on to the thread, you know when you get stuck with somebody who blurts on about their job all the time and apart from thinking fucking hell this is boring it also makes me think nobody does a proper job these days.  Anyway, the fact that people these days are mostly pretending to work while pumping up their self importance it will eventually lead to one of those systems where everyone is given money to live on and what you earn on top of that is yours.  I can't remember the name. 

So eventually it will be a choice whether you work?

Posted Image

#5 Danny

Danny

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

Universal Income is what I think Charlie is getting at. It's been trialled in a couple of Scandanavian countries and also Canada. Essentially the idea is that everyone is given a sum of money which, in theory at least, would be enough to cover life's essentials. This would be in place of much of the welfare state. It's then up to the individual if they wish to augment that through work or alternatively pursue a life of leisure or a hobby or whatever it is they want to do.

Of course in the UK what would happen is as soon as this was implemented all the utility providers and landlords would hike their prices up.
When I say "Go!", you say "Weeble!".

"Go!"...

#6 the_saurus

the_saurus

Fringe Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Universal Income is what I think Charlie is getting at. It's been trialled in a couple of Scandanavian countries and also Canada. Essentially the idea is that everyone is given a sum of money which, in theory at least, would be enough to cover life's essentials. This would be in place of much of the welfare state. It's then up to the individual if they wish to augment that through work or alternatively pursue a life of leisure or a hobby or whatever it is they want to do.

Of course in the UK what would happen is as soon as this was implemented all the utility providers and landlords would hike their prices up.

Yeas, i think they have done that in Sweeden?

Posted Image

#7 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 5,501 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

So eventually it will be a choice whether you work?

Yes, although I guess my point is that the system might be introduced in societies where proper work isn't much of an option.  What Danny says is the likely outcome of it. 

#8 Danny

Danny

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

Yeas, i think they have done that in Sweeden?

I think so, Finland have also launched a trial of it. In theory it's one way of dealing with the challenges faced by automation but for it to work properly we'd need a raft of legislation to ensure essential services only increase in price at the same rate of income.
When I say "Go!", you say "Weeble!".

"Go!"...

#9 Daz555

Daz555

Fringe Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Robots, robotic automation and A.I. will transform (or decimate depending on your view) the employment market in the coming decades - it will make industrial automation of the 70s and 90s look like a minor blip.

Clerical and driving sectors are likely to be hit next and it will not be pretty. I expect my future grand kids will learn about taxi and lorry drivers in their history class.The company I work for is investing heavily in robotic process automation and the goal is clearly to get rid of process workers.

National governments need to start planning now for a future when work becomes a choice and not a necessity. It can not be left to the free market and to capitalism - neither can be trusted with such a huge shift in society. Talk of universal income is a start.

Edited by Daz555, 10 May 2017 - 04:58 PM.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology" - Carl Sagan

#10 the_saurus

the_saurus

Fringe Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

Robots, robotic automation and A.I. will transform (or decimate depending on your view) the employment market in the coming decades - it will make industrial automation of the 70s and 90s look like a minor blip.

Clerical and driving sectors are likely to be hit next and it will not be pretty. I expect my future grand kids will learn about taxi and lorry drivers in their history class.The company I work for is investing heavily in robotic process automation and the goal is clearly to get rid of process workers.

National governments need to start planning now for a future when work becomes a choice and not a necessity. It can not be left to the free market and to capitalism - neither can be trusted with such a huge shift in society. Talk of universal income is a start.

I think thats my concern, its when automation inflation is much faster than education inflation then you could have lots of mansfields all over the place.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users