Caz

2017 squad talk

Taylor reporting that Warburton wants to bring in four new signings.

Oikonomidis saying that we won't become a feeder club for Olympiakos but that players will likely come the other way.

Players out on contract on 30th June;

Daniel Pinillos

David Vaughan

Eric Lichaj

Players returned/released;

Matty Fryatt

Patjim Kasami

Aaron Tshibola

Joao Teixeira

Hildeberto

Nicoloa Dumitru-Cardoso

Ross McCormack

That leaves us with a 24 man squad if the contracts of Lichaj & Vaughan are extended. Still need to move some players on. Would like to see Stojkovic, Lam and Perquis moved out. Vellios rumoured to be going back to Greece with Olympiakos, which will likely happen when Marinakis finalises takeover deal.

Likely that Brereton, Cash and Osborn will be targeted in the summer so possible squad reductions there. Brit may be back on the radar too now that he seems fit. Hope to hell that we don't end up with the injury prone bunch that nobody else wants. Pity Hobbs contact isn't up...he's never fit. I'd renew All 3 of 30th June lot if they want to stay but would look to put DV on a 1 year deal only. Really rate him but he's had his share of injuries and in now 34. Grant, walker and lacovitti - good enough for this league?

Cash - think he's come as far as he'll go. Might be time to take the money and invest elsewhere.

Warburton talked about the new one year deal given to Cohen and the need to sit down with Vaughan. There was no mention of Pinillos.

Jota has signed a new deal with Brentford. Shame as I think he'd have been a cracking addition.

Yeah same on that front,

I think our central midfield looked very old, slow, sluggish and off the pace yesterday from the get go. If you look back even in the 80+ minutes the Ipswich players still had plenty in the tank and were buzzing to bomb forward. I have no issue with having a general type player in the middle of the park but we need someone who has legs to support him or be ordered about.

Would leave DV now and look at someone else to cement in the middle as for the other 2 I would want to keep Lichaj but wouldn't be overly fussed with pinillos.

As for cash I agree he has not come on as much as we might of thought and if a good offer came in I would look to invest that elsewhere, if we are serious about looking forward and push for a play off place next year we have to keep britt and brereton as if fit between them its 40+ goals which you can't buy at this level.

Cash is 19 and probably not on a massive wage compared to some of the shit. Definitely worth another couple of seasons

From the media.....

Eric Lichaj signed an one year extension to his contract in March 2016 so expiring in June 2018. Vellios is still contracted to the club till 2020, and has publicly stated his desire to stay with the club. Notts County have shown interest in permanently signing Jorge Grant, after an impressive four month loan spell, scoring six goals.

On the subject of the next possible youth player to break through into Senior squad is the highly talented and skillful Toby Edser.

Edited by nemesiz

I'd keep Velios if he's happy to stay and not on a huge wage. He's been a lot better than I expected and one of the few members of the foreign legion signed in the summer who looked like he gave a shit.

With him, Britt, Brereton and Clough it would give us decent options going forward. Just need to sort the rest of the team out. In varying degrees of need we could do with a 'keeper, a left back (if Pinilos goes), a centre half, a central midfielder and a winger.

Personal problems aside, what a relief to see the back of Fryatt. Like any sane person I hope he gets the help he needs but he's been a drain on the club.

Is Danny Fox's contract up?

Warburton will want to push for play offs next year, I do not think that is unrealistic providing our business is good this summer.

In order to achieve this, our squad should be at least 50% different to this years IMO.

Three?! I thought it was 1 year. Fucking hell. What dope authorised that?

My bad was a 2 year extension last year so next summer it's up

My bad was a 2 year extension last year so next summer it's up

Still, shocking decision really. Probably the same numpty who gave Blackstock a 4.5 year deal and signed up Hobbs for an extension.

I am optimistic. MW is probably the best manager we have had in year, has had plenty of time to assess the squad and will know exactly what he wants and in McParland he has someone who he trusts to get the players he wants. We have plenty to work with, this squad has underachieved for various reasons, with a good pre season, a bit of stability of the pitch and a few quality additions we could really make an impression next season.

Under difficult conditions on and off the pitch I think the youngsters have done very well, really looking forward to seeing how they progress, Worrall has future captain written all over him.

We need to sort that fucking midfield out as well as adding some pace.

I'd say thanks but cheerio to 63 year old David Vaughan

We need to sort that fucking midfield out as well as adding some pace.

I'd say thanks but cheerio to 63 year old David Vaughan

And strength...

If he wants 4 players. We need a replacement for Lansbury. A good attacking play maker.

Another attacking Wide man.

Another wing back

Another player similar to Vaughan, even tho I think we should keep him another year.

Don't think we need a keeper. Smith looks a good prospect

Don't think we need a keeper. Smith looks a good prospect

He's too dodgy for me - great shot stopper, but doesn't command his area yet. He always seems to have a mistake in him - not a great trait for a keeper. I think we need a bit of experience in with him (not Henderson).

He's too dodgy for me - great shot stopper, but doesn't command his area yet. He always seems to have a mistake in him - not a great trait for a keeper. I think we need a bit of experience in with him (not Henderson).

That save he made just before we scored on Sunday was magnificent. To be fair to him he didn't shy away too much in the second half coming for crosses but he punched at least a couple that I think he should have caught. I'd bring in someone steady with a few miles on the clock and start the season with Smith. If he pushes on and gains confidence then we all win. If he doesn't then we have a steady man in the wings.