Sign in to follow this  
HucknallRed

What's wrong with the UK?

People that watch Towie, and Geordie shore and the current pile of Buffalo shite that is...Love Island, being allowed to vote. Fuckin numb cnuts!!

Woh woh whooooh easy on the towie the rest I agree with

I didn't know where else to put this...

But what do we do as a (British) culture that is just weird or unique?

Here's one to start off with...

Not being able to describe anything without including something negative.

For example...someone asks you about an holiday. It's physically impossible to describe it without including a negative like...

It was too hot.

Mozzies were a pain.

Germans nicking the towels.

It had a funny smell.

Didn't like the food.

I'm guilty of it I'm sure too.

I didn't know where else to put this...

But what do we do as a (British) culture that is just weird or unique?

Here's one to start off with...

Not being able to describe anything without including something negative.

For example...someone asks you about an holiday. It's physically impossible to describe it without including a negative like...

It was too hot.

Mozzies were a pain.

Germans nicking the towels.

It had a funny smell.

Didn't like the food.

I'm guilty of it I'm sure too.

That's because they're true.

Joking aside we're not by nature an upbeat group but I suspect we're not that different than others. The French can be dour in their own way when they act like their shit doesn't stink. Same with the Germans. If ever you've watched their telly, fuck me is it mundane. They have endless panel shows with folk talking politics. The yanks are probably the most upbeat and it's good up to a point but too much and it gets on your tits.

Just had a look, there's loads of websites like that, The Post is like that too, not really things wrong with the UK but people's obsession with pointless celebrities in general.

I'm going to add dogshit to the list. In Keyworth there's a bin for dogshit literally every hundred yards yet several filthy bastards still manage to leave their dog's shit on the pavement.

Also Jeremy Hunt.

I think England's pretty good for dog shit. When I was a kid it used to be all over the place, I'm sure there's less about than there used to be.

Whenever I'm in Marbella I'm always struck by the amount of dog shit about. You can be walking through a really nice area, it's all clean, all the trees and hedges all neat and tidy, everything newly painted, no litter, then you notice a load of turds all along the path. Most of them all squashed flat with a footprint in the centre :thumbsdown_still:

28 people complained to ofcom because someone sat in a fridge. It set a bad example to people they said. Think about that, 28 people took time out of their lives to go online and either find an email address or phone number and then sat there and wrote out an email or made a phone call to complain somebody sat in a fridge for three seconds on tv. Somebody wrote on twitter they had to sit their children down and explain why you shouldn't ever go in a fridge.

28? Is that it?! I saw headlines about complaints and ofcom investigating etc. so I assumed there must be thousands. Although even if there were 28 thousand complaints that'd still be less than half a percent of the total viewers. 28 is not even worth acknowledging, there must be at least 28 after every programme just from random nutters who don't even know what they're complaining about.

I remember an old public information film warning children about getting trapped in abandoned fridges. Probably a few of the complainers were people who saw that as kids and have over-estimated the danger of kitchen appliances ever since.

I remember an old public information film warning children about getting trapped in abandoned fridges. Probably a few of the complainers were people who saw that as kids and have over-estimated the danger of kitchen appliances ever since.

I grew up thinking quicksand was going to be more of a problem than it actually turned out to be.

My Mrs watched an episode of Corrie and a character nearly died in quicksand, it would have been the funniest screen death ever.

You missed 'Me and' off the start of that post!

I remember the quicksand one, there used to be warnings about some real niche dangers. There was one about falling in some kind of storage pit on a farm. Surely would have been more cost effective to just send someone to visit the handful of people who lived near these dangers than run a nationwide advertising campaign.

I saw that corrie, but they didn't show the actual rescue. One minute it was just his head is sticking out, as for some reason he'd tucked his arms under the sand, then the next he'd been rescued. How did they do it? Did they just lasso his head and drag him out by the neck? :laughingsmiley:

Edited by Art Vandelay

I noticed how dirty Nottingham was this weekend, grime and muck weeds and litter everywhere. It's time people were made to work for their handouts in the UK, a few extra quid on their benefits and get them out cleaning up the streets and parks, cutting the grass on sports pitches and painting up rundown areas of the city. Maybe I ne er noticed it when I lived in Nottingham but for all the money being spent on new buildings going up all over three times as many are being allowed to delapidate all for want of a bit of man power, and there's thousands there to help out.

I noticed how dirty Nottingham was this weekend, grime and muck weeds and litter everywhere. It's time people were made to work for their handouts in the UK, a few extra quid on their benefits and get them out cleaning up the streets and parks, cutting the grass on sports pitches and painting up rundown areas of the city. Maybe I ne er noticed it when I lived in Nottingham but for all the money being spent on new buildings going up all over three times as many are being allowed to delapidate all for want of a bit of man power, and there's thousands there to help out.

Slavery eh, I don't think it will catch on.

Did they never have CE / FAS schemes when you lived in Cork Charlie?

What are those? I lived in Tramore although I go to Cork a couple of times a year.

Edit, just googled them. That's fine as long as you get paid for the work you do.

I'll say this though, your general jobshy layabout is the sort who will avoid this and still get ten times off the State that your person who's looking for work will get from the State. I've probably said about him before, I've got this uncle who's spent his whole life avoiding work but he's got everything I have and a half decent car. His latest ailment is agoraphobia meaning he can't do anything. All you need is the right doctor to help you take the piss. I'm surprised the Mail have never discovered him and used him as an example of everyone out of work taking the piss.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

One of the main stumbling blocks with this type of initiative is people consider the state handout they receive as a free entitlement and if that sum is contributed to with say an extra fifty quid the recipient considers he is doing a weeks work for fifty quid as opposed to his benefit and the added 50. They can't see past that entitlement even when it's pointed out the amount received is often more than the minimum wage.

For anyone reading this the schemes I refer to ask people to work 19.5 hours a week, in effect half a week for non for profit or charitable organisations. They can not displace paid employed people and those participating can take up further part time employment the rest of the week. For example Monday Tuesday Wednesday half day on a scheme, the rest of the week you can take another part time job without it impacting on your other payment/benefit. You take up a placement for 12 months and are either in a much better place to move onto full time work or simply return to the live register, but at least during the year you have both gained some experience and benefitted something back to the society that has fed clothed and put a roof over your head for many years. How you get around the likes of your uncle is.... you can't, cute fuckers like that have all the angles covered, but most people will reluctantly participate if threatened with a cut in their dole. I see so much work that could easily be done and everyone benefits.

I don't think you have to threaten normal people, normal people want to work. It's the people like my uncle that are a problem and no matter what you do with them they'll still find a way around it.

To quote one of my customers in Waterford when every fucker found themselves on the dole or on reduced hours, he was talking about someone he knew, 'Name I can't remember was always on the dole even when everyone was in work, how can you make him work now?'. Going back to when everyone was in work, that was when to cut him off.

I always think you've got to put people in work and then you can work on the layabouts. Trouble is when you put millions out of work to keep the Union power to a minimum and kept it that way, just fudging the figures with back to work schemes and the likes, how do you tackle the proper lazy bastards?

Plus talking about Waterford you've got a local cuntish culture. As my mate who I dj'd with put it, 'this is a horrible begrudging town of horrible begrudging people. No matter what you put forward there the people with a bit of cash and property and businesses try to prevent anything else coming in. Some Arab, I know IKS, wants to invest a few million and bring a few hundred jobs with it. The local gentry are fighting it though 'cause they don't know where his money is coming from. Point is, the place is poor and needs investment.

I've gone off on a tangent but the point is that getting people in work is bigger than just making unemployed people work for their dole. It takes investment, full employment and then tackling the shitbags.

I can not disagree with much of what you say there Charlie. Far more should be done to facilitate those wanting to work to be in a position to do so and to encourage entrepreneurs, but I believe starting with the underbelly of society to underpin the menial tasks that need undertaking with encouragement to progress to more meaningful employment because there are pathways available. If you choose not to avail of said pathways fine, but you contribute to society regardless, and if that amounts to litter picking in the streets then so be it. I think then unlike yourself it should be tackled the other way around, tackle the shitbags first.

The Irish are begrudges by nature.