Sign in to follow this  
Art Vandelay

What Have You Been Watching?

11 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Are the football league goals on any of the normal channels this season? I watched that thing with Prutton on Sky the other week and it was pretty awful, made the Channel Five one from last year look decent.

It's on a channel called "Quest" now. Hell knows why they suddenly have it though, there other programming is generally stuff like "How refrigerators work" (no lie, when i learned they had it i switched over and that was what was on!). They also have the league cup highlights as well, i haven't watched it but i can imagine it isn't much better.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, that's great. Don't think I've ever watched Quest, I had no idea they had anything other than a load of old shit from Discovery let alone actual football highlights. ⚽

Will also keep an eye out for that Refrigerator thing.......

I watched it and I'm reporting back. The Championship highlights I mean, not the fridge programme. It's bascally the exact same programme that was on Channel Five last season. It's better than the Sky one so I'll be sticking with it :happystrange:

My wife and my lad have been watching loads of things and to be honest I can't tell a lot from each other and I'm pretty sure that I've combined four or five programmes and molded them into one. 

Some things aren't bad though, Ozark and The Sopranos.  I'm enjoying Sharp Objects although only one episode a week means they're in danger of being forced into the multiple programmes that have become one. 

I have been watch Designated Survivor on Netflix since I have been off with a poorly arsehole

Definitely worth a watch. Fast action, good twists - a bit like the early seasons of homeland

8/10

I've been watching HBO prison drama Oz. I sometimes used to see bits of this when it was on Channel Four in the late 90s but missed the boat a bit so never really got into it, so thought it was time I caught up. It's the first big drama from HBO, so paved the way fo The Sopranos, the Wire etc.

It's not as polished as those later shows, it's a bit theatrical, and at times really silly, but I can't stop watching. I'm up to series three already. I'm going to have to take a break at the end of this though because I've started to dream about it and that isn't good. Recommended 8/10

My wife has started watching the X Factor.  I managed to never see it until now and it's far worse than I ever imagined.  It's TV for complete idiots, like the people at ITV decided all of the other TV for idiots on their channel was aiming a bit too high and decided to create a programme that dumbed it down to -11.

Why would anyone start watching it now if they didn't watch it in the previous 50 years it feels like it's been going? Can't I tempt the two of you to watch Oz instead?...

You could tempt me to watch anything Art but I'd have to prize the controller off her first. 

I think the worst thing about talent shows are all the 'singers' forget they're singing a song and just start showing off and none of them are good enough to show off, if they weren't they wouldn't be on a talent show.  I quite liked Stars in their eyes, no pretence with that one.   

The Walking Dead was on last night, I don't get the point in that anymore either.  It's barely changed a bit for five or six series, talk about flogging a dead horse. 

Before the latest shit fest i've been force fed we watched The Sopranos which was good.  A few years too late to that one but I enjoyed it.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

I watched the first series of Walking Dead but left it that that as I wasn't impressed. I might expand on this later, or I might not.

What I liked about Stars in Their Eyes was how after the performance Kelly would really over sell the whole thing eg. "Well, you certainly won't be going back to the factory on Monday". Yeah, because there's going to be a million pound record deal and World tour lined up for some middle-aged bloke who was on itv for five minutes sounding a bit like the guy from Kajagoogoo :unsure:

Edited by Art Vandelay

sally4ever by the brilliant Julia Davis on sky. Honestly she is one of the best writers around

its on catch up - give it a go it’s hilarious 

10/10

*edit I watch the second episode last night - scissor me timbers 😳

Edited by E R

I'll have a go with Sally4ever over the next weeks or so. Have you listened to the Joan and Jericha podcasts?

If not, I think you'll like them, it's a kind of agony aunt radio show with Julia Davies and Vicky Pepperdine B)

Been watching Stan Against Evil.  A bit like the A Team or Columbo where every episode is pretty much the same but in the shape of a sillier Evil Dead.  Not bad.  Also been watching Sally4ever and Sick of it, not bad either. 

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

I've enjoyed the first season of Kidding. Jim Carrey is a popular kids TV host who really is the same on and off screen, but starts to go through a breakdown after the 1 year anniversary of one of his twin sons death in a car accident. Most of the episodes are directed by Michel Gondry (who also directed Eternal Sunshine) and the story is very much told in his unique visual style. It was something a bit different anyway.

I've just been watching Catchphrase, don't ask!  You know when you go to foreign hotels and put the telly on and can't find any English telly so just put the local channel on until you realise it's really fucking shit.  That's what Catchphrase is like. 

The modern one or the old one on Challenge? Although I don't suppose it makes much difference, they're both terrible. The old one isn't even enjoyable because it's so crap like Bullseye or 321.

I recommend watching the old Bulleyes, or at least the meet the contestants bit at the start. Surely some of the least competent interviews and most awkward interaction between two humans ever to be televised.

Edited by Art Vandelay

I liked Bullseye.  My favourite bit was the main prize which was almost always completely useless to the winners.  Like a speedboat for two mates who were 60 and lived in Derby.  Or when they didn't win it would be a car.  I watched the modern Catchphrase which was a celebrity edition in which I only recognised half of the contestents.  My wife told me it's because I don't watch ITV.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:03 AM, Charlie Cheswick said:

I liked Bullseye.

There's a lot to like. Not only the fact they give away a speedboat far more often than seems normal but they fact when the curtain goes up to reveal the prize, instead of the boat already being there, you see four old blokes pulling it out. As I wrote that it it's just occured to me the only explanation is that they change the prize depending if it's won or not which is why it can only be brought out at the last minute. Crafty.

I watch it on Challenge sometimes, it seems to be on pretty much constantly through the night and the interview bits are always great.....

"What do you do then?"

"I've just been made redundant Jim"

"Great".

I remember one time he said after they were finished "That's the worst bit over with..." Is it normal to have a 'worst bit' on a game show? I also saw one recently where he introduced a couple of young men and then opened his chat with them with "You're a couple of lovely slender lads".

Then there's the way he always refers to their tv region as where they're from, it's not "Here's Chris and Pat from Manchester", it would be "Here's Chris and Pat from the Granada television region". What's that all about? I don't remember that ever happening on any other show.

There's how Jim says "Now listen carefully to Tony" as though he's going to explain something important or impart some great wisdom but every time he simply says "Settle in. Take your time" and that's that.

There's how they never seem to cut anything, Jim will stumble over his words, get people's names wrong, start coughing etc or someone will walk in front of the camera and they'll just leave it like it's live. I doubt they'd stop the recording If you shat yourself at the oche.

So that's a 90s drama, now an 80s an game show, I'll be on here recommending 'On the Buses' next :axehead:

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Haha 1

I've just watched The First which is a show set in the future some time about the first manned mission to Mars. Was really quite good, very understated, quite slow I guess, and it's more about the families and what they go through than the actual SciFi element of going to Mars. It's only an 8 episode season anyway and worth a watch.

Also I liked how Jim would refer to "Keep out of the black and in the red, there's nothing in this game for two in a bed" as a 'poem'.

I've been watching Nathan For You. It's a spoof version of those shows where an expert helps out a struggling business. I think the businesses and people there are real people but it's hard to know what is real and what is acted. I like it. Recommended.

I have been watching Sunderland till I die on Netflix - really good behind the scenes look at the day to day workings of a football club 

they should have held onto Grabban - their only good player 👍

8/10

Edited by E R

I've also seen The Innocent Man and Sunderland Till I Die.  The Innocent Man is great, I've seen a few documentaries like that where prosecutors don't seem to have enough about them to climb down from their mistakes and change their ways.

My favourite bits from Sunderland Til I Die have been them putting subtitles on while the locals speak.