Art Vandelay

Championship chit chat

59 minutes ago, E R said:

12 weeks jail and as you say banned for life plus a criminal record - what a plum 

No condoning what this twat did, but remind me again how many weeks Cantona spent in prison for a much worse assault on a fan?

It works both ways........or at least it should.

Cantonas wasn’t worse and he was goaded. Some bloke called Cantona a French twat and Cantona fronted him up. This guy ran up to someone and punched them from behind without any provacation. 

• Upvote 1

Fuck all that, the bloke Cantona kicked had it coming, on top of that he ran off as soon as Cantona gave him some.  What a fanny.  Like Bestie said, there's a big difference between kung fuing some bloke who's giving you some to taking a run up and smacking someone in the back of the head who doesn't know you're there. 

12 hours ago, bestwood_red! said:

Some bloke called Cantona a French twat

Ah diddums.

So you think that's good reason for Cantona launch a six studded drop kick at the guy, with no regard for the safety of those innocents around him? 

Seriously, it would appear that some of you think it was OK for him to react like that. 

I think I'd rather get clipped from behind by some fucking idiot than have a super fit athlete launch a flying kick at me wearing studded boots. 

Cantona's assault was more vicious, yet only received 120 hours community work? 

I'm not condoning either assault, but both should have gone to prison, and both should have been banned from football grounds for life. 

Come on Dane there’s a difference. If I called Didier Drogba an African Cunt he’s well within his rights to twat me.  If I’m just doing my job and someone sneaks up behind me and punches me in the head that’s unprovoked and uncalled for. 

42 minutes ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Cantona is one of my favourite non-Forest footballers and part of the reason I like him is him doing mad stuff like kicking that Palace tramp. 

Same I loved Cantona. I was about 12/13 when Cantona was in his prime and I quite liked crazy foreign footballers. Cantona, Stoichkov, Klinsmann, Kinkladze, Brolin, Yeboah, Kanchelskis, Lombardo, all the crazy Dutch lads. 

Cantona and Stoichkov were my favourites though, skilful and mad as bag of squirrels. I think that’s why I liked Zlatan too. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bestwood_red! said:

Come on Dane there’s a difference. If I called Didier Drogba an African Cunt he’s well within his rights to twat me.  If I’m just doing my job and someone sneaks up behind me and punches me in the head that’s unprovoked and uncalled for. 

I'm not disputing that mate. The Palace fan deserved what he got, Grealish didn't. Fine, I agree with you on that. 

It's the actual physical assault that I'm taking about. The Brum fan just about missed Grealish's head completely. The only reason grealish went down is because the fan  just about fell into the back of him and pushed him over. There was intent to cause injury to grealish though. 

Cantona on the other hand jumped feet first, wearing studded boots, at a fan. There was intent to cause injury to that fan, but also a total disregard for the safety of those innocents sat in the vicinity. What if a little kid would have kopped 6 studs in the mush? Cantona didn't give a toss. That's what makes what Cantona did worse.

And for the record, I too liked Cantona. 

2 hours ago, bestwood_red! said:

Same I loved Cantona. I was about 12/13 when Cantona was in his prime and I quite liked crazy foreign footballers. Cantona, Stoichkov, Klinsmann, Kinkladze, Brolin, Yeboah, Kanchelskis, Lombardo, all the crazy Dutch lads. 

Cantona and Stoichkov were my favourites though, skilful and mad as bag of squirrels. I think that’s why I liked Zlatan too. 

Di Canio too.  If you've never seen it, Youtube West Ham vs Bradford.  The mad bastard had no luck off the ref and had a strop and sat down on the pitch at one point.  What a looney!

1 minute ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Di Canio too.  If you've never seen it, Youtube West Ham vs Bradford.  The mad bastard had no luck off the ref and had a strop and sat down on the pitch at one point.  What a looney!

I remember that Chaz. 

I'm going to agree with DB. I think the Birmingham twat got the harsher punishment purely as a deterent for future pitch assulters. If he'd done that same level of assult to some random bloke having a kickabout in the park it wouldn't even have gone to court. Are footballers that much more important than the general public now? :unsure:

Cantona's actual assult was obviously worse, although possibly not even in his top five assults while in England. It seems to have been largely forgotten what a dirty player he was. I can remember several two footers, knee high tackles, and stamps on people lying on the ground that would have got extra game bans if it'd been Kevin Muscat or Vinny Jones.....

Edited by Art Vandelay