Sign in to follow this  
Dane B

2016/17 Season Expectations, Fears, Predictions.

In his first press conference he was on about his two assistants, don't know who they are though.

Ah good. Was thinking his number two would be Andy Reid or something :lol:

I'm fairly positive about this season. I think we might get in the play offs, doubt top two as some bloody strong teams this year.

I really hope this take over gets sorted as once nick the Greek is in I think we will splash some proper cash

The path to promotion has always been the same : Stop settling for away draws. Last season two teams had double digit away wins - Middlesboro 10 and Burnley 11 - both automatically promoted. Of the teams that won nine times away from home : 3rd Brighton 4th Hull 5th Derby County. Hull even lost 10 away matches last season versus Forest 9 losses - but got 31 away points versus Forest's 26. They got the final promotion spot.

This happens season after season: in 2014/15 season - the top three teams had 13 away wins, the 4th team - Middlesboro 10 and the fifth team Brentford 11.

Here is the away record for Forest under the previous "happy to get an away point" managers...

2015/16 season away 6 wins 8 draws - 26 points

2014/15 season away 6 wins 9 draws - 27 points

2013/14 season away 6 wins 10 draws - 28 points

2012/13 season away 7 wins 8 draws - 29 points

2011/12 season away 8 wins 3 draws - 27 points

2010/11 season away 7 wins 7 draws - 28 points

2009/10 season away 4 wins 11 draws - 23 points

2008/09 season away 5 wins 7 draws - 22 points

If PM is really a different manager - not afraid of attacking football away from home when the game is tied - with fifteen minutes to go...we willl have a chance..

The path to promotion has always been the same : Stop settling for away draws. Last season two teams had double digit away wins - Middlesboro 10 and Burnley 11 - both automatically promoted. Of the teams that won nine times away from home : 3rd Brighton 4th Hull 5th Derby County. Hull even lost 10 away matches last season versus Forest 9 losses - but got 31 away points versus Forest's 26. They got the final promotion spot.

This happens season after season: in 2014/15 season - the top three teams had 13 away wins, the 4th team - Middlesboro 10 and the fifth team Brentford 11.

Here is the away record for Forest under the previous "happy to get an away point" managers...

If PM is really a different manager - not afraid of attacking football away from home when the game is tied - with fifteen minutes to go...we willl have a chance..

Our worst points total from away matches in the last seven seasons and we finished 3rd!!!!

I think it's more important to win more home games than worrying too much about not winning enough away matches unless we have a repeat of our shit away form in 2009/10 which landed us in the play offs!

Fox being given a 12 month extension on his contract would suggest everything isn't as rosy as we think at the club.

No takeover. Rumours of some of our better players being sold. Players signed for next to nothing.

I just hope that this manager is a tactical genius, else we are in for a long hard season. My dislike for Fawaz is now eclipsing my dislike of Doughty and Arthur.

What are Fawaz/Bubbles/Football league up to ffs? Middle of May this takeover was reported to have been agreed. Mental.

With our current squad I'd say somewhere around 8th to 10th

Fuck knows what I was on when I wrote this. With the current squad we'll be around 14th.

Edited by Danny

Yep am changing to 20th with the manager sacked - same old same old at this club

I am convinced they will sell Britt and Lansbury

Jamie, a fit Britt with Lansbury supplying him the ammo is the only way we'll challenge for top 6. Without them we may as well just forget next season.

That's true. It was particularly frustrating under Davies as we had the potential to do so much better if we'd approached all games the same, whoever the opposition, home or away. Also I'd say another thing that seperates sides that get promoted from sides than underachieve is they prioritize a strong settled first eleven over squad strength. For years now we've had an unnecessarily large squad, further bloated with unneeded loan players. You're much better off having one quality player than three average ones yet since we got back into the Championship it's been quantity over quality every single season.

I was hoping a Director of Football would address this but the signs aren't good so far. A centre forward to compete with five others for one place, a centre half when we have four already, and a new deal for a reserve leftback when last season as soon as the first choice leftback was injured we loaned someone in rather than play him.

That's true. It was particularly frustrating under Davies as we had the potential to do so much better if we'd approached all games the same, whoever the opposition, home or away. Also I'd say another thing that seperates sides that get promoted from sides than underachieve is they prioritize a strong settled first eleven over squad strength. For years now we've had an unnecessarily large squad, further bloated with unneeded loan players. You're much better off having one quality player than three average ones yet since we got back into the Championship it's been quantity over quality every single season.

I was hoping a Director of Football would address this but the signs aren't good so far. A centre forward to compete with five others for one place, a centre half when we have four already, and a new deal for a reserve leftback when last season as soon as the first choice leftback was injured we loaned someone in rather than play him.

I'd expect so see some of those over-staffed areas to be addressed before the close of the window. I don't think Pereira is a mug - this takeover shenanigans can't be making the preseason easy though.

Exactly what I said on the Rumours Thread Art.

Always hopeful. Time for tales of doom and gloom come later.

In 2009/10 season of League One Norwich City opened the season at home with a 1-7 loss to Colchester. Had one point after three games. 43 matches later, they were crowned as Champions with 95 points. Gillingham won their opening League One fixture 5-0 that day too - they were relegated at the end of the season.

Exactly what I said on the Rumours Thread Art.

Great minds think alike :cool: I don't tend to look in there, it annoys me when people post a 'rumour' but don't say where it came from :thumbsdown_still:

On an average match day I wonder what percentage of Forest's massive player wage bill is going to the players actually on the pitch. I bet it's tiny.

Edited by Art Vandelay

1. Brighton HA Lost auto promotion on goal difference

Sheffield Wednesday - sleeper - 5th best in Champ. after Jan 1 2016.

Newcastle U - Huge crowd support but weak defense

Norwich City 9/1 Have Scottish manager - hence relegated

Derby County 10/1 Ha Ha Spent the money last season.

Ipswich 33/1 Nine away wins last season

Cardiff 33/1 Solid home record - two losses last season

FOREST 40/1

Birmingham 66/1 4 points from last six matches -hmm.

Preston NE 66/1 Eight away wins last season

Aston Villa 9/1 No bounce yet.

Wolves - West Midland's Forest.

Leeds Utd 33/1 Worse goal diff than Forest

Brentford 33/1 Lost nine home matches last season

QPR 33/1 No road ability - 4 wins last season

Wigan 40/1 No problem surviving here

Blackburn 66/1 Late spurt flattered team

Bristol City 40/1 Conceded too many goals -17 goal diff

Rotherham 150/1 Worked hard only lost 2 of last 14

Reading 40/1 one point in last seven matches

Huddersfield 40/1 lost ten home matches

Fulham 33/1 only 4 away wins

Burton Albion 250/1 too high too fast

Barnsley 100/1 not ready

Newcastle should piss this league with their squad will be very surprised if they don't finish in top two probably 1st.

Villa should get play offs now with McCormack on board but just why we never went for him is a mystery.

As for Forest... Top Ten at the very best but more likely 12th-15th.

My expectations for the upcoming season: Yet another year as a mediocre Championship team. I have faith in our new manager, though, and I think we'll manage to finish in the top 10, and flirting around the playoffs during a small part of the season. Our starting eleven aint too bad - we lack quality on the bench, though, and that's what's needed for a promotion push.

1. Brighton HA Lost auto promotion on goal difference
  2. Sheffield Wednesday - sleeper - 5th best in Champ. after Jan 1 2016.
  3. Newcastle U - Huge crowd support but weak defense

...............................................................................

Thanks for being the only person I've seen who doesn't regard Newcastle as some kind of English Barcelona. It felt like I was going a bit mad reading all the pre-season previews and discussion. You'd think it was Chelsea who'd gone down the way people have been talking about them, saying they'll run away with it, some bizarre claims they could go all season unbeaten etc. I was watching the pre-match stuff on Sky today and while looking at what I regarded as a slightly above average looking second tier side Beagrie declared it 'probably the best lineup ever seen at this level' :confused: Strange.

Thanks for being the only person I've seen who doesn't regard Newcastle as some kind of English Barcelona. It felt like I was going a bit mad reading all the pre-season previews and discussion. You'd think it was Chelsea who'd gone down the way people have been talking about them, saying they'll run away with it, some bizarre claims they could go all season unbeaten etc. I was watching the pre-match stuff on Sky today and while looking at what I regarded as a slightly above average looking second tier side Beagrie declared it 'probably the best lineup ever seen at this level' :confused: Strange.

Did you hear the "Benitez is the best manager at this level since Brian Clough" line? I honestly have no idea what hold that man has over the media but they talk about him as being Mourinho, Ancelotti level, it's crazy.

Did you hear the "Benitez is the best manager at this level since Brian Clough" line? I honestly have no idea what hold that man has over the media but they talk about him as being Mourinho, Ancelotti level, it's crazy.

Whilst he's obviously not at that level, he has won la liga and the champions league.

Edited by nottmred

I am so pissed off that the football season has started again. I predicit another season of shit and underachievement. I reckon we'll stay up and then everything will go to shit next summer when we realise there was no long-term plan, our best players fuck off, another dodgey sale of the club occurs and we get relegated.

I am so pissed off that the football season has started again. I predicit another season of shit and underachievement. I reckon we'll stay up and then everything will go to shit next summer when we realise there was no long-term plan, our best players fuck off, another dodgey sale of the club occurs and we get relegated.

That made me laugh.

Still, things could be worse I suppose...