E R

Cameron v Farage 9pm ITV

I just thought I would start a separate thread and ask for everyone's opinion following the live debate

It will be interesting to see if anyone on the fence is swayed by what is said and also who in people's opinion prevails

I wouldn't be swayed by either of that pair although if it was a choice between personalities I'd plump for Farage ten times out of ten. I won't be watching.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

Seems to be a very hand picked argument. They ask Farage a question, interrupt his answers and then move on. That black woman who said how does he think his views make black british feel? They have nothing to do with Farages policies. I feel hes been stitched up a little and that's coming from someone who doesn't like Farage.

Complete waste of time from idiots who are lucky enough to be able to ask questions and then interrupt the response

No one landed a shot on him, still got a positive campaign and message across whilst expressing the serious plight of the uk if we stayed in.

8.5 out of 10, the interupting was a real downer.

No one landed a shot on him, still got a positive campaign and message across whilst expressing the serious plight of the uk if we stayed in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're delusional! I'll be honest, before the debate I was actually concerned Cameron would come away somewhat battered but I needn't have worried. It's interesting to see what a twat Farrage comes across when actually placed in front of an educated, informed audience. The gentleman from the pharmaceutical industry exposed a massive flaw in Leave's economic arguments (£34bn of trade to be lost because certain activities must be carried out within the EU, and that's only one industry we're talking about) and generally made Farrage look a little bit stupid. The chap who worked in credit card fraud also landed a few good shots on Farrage and exposed Leave's slight obsession with terrorism, which while very serious only amounts to a tiny fraction of overall crime - which is better combatted being in the EU taking advantage of Europol etc. Farrage also seemed to lose his temper with one of the female questioners nearer the start of the debate, which didn't come across well at all.

I'm no Cameron fan, but by contrast he came across as more of a statesman and explained the Remain argument in calmer, clearer tones that Farrage did the Leave argument. I didn't agree with everything he said - he should just admit that inside the EU there is no way of directly controlling immigration and anyone who knows their EU law will know that the claims of preventing EU migrants claiming benefits in those first 6 months doesn't actually offer anything that wasn't already available (in effect, it simply implements a right conferred by case law which the UK has been too coy to implement so far). Overall, though, Cameron was clearly the "winner" here.

I genuinely think tonight will have gained Remain 2-3 points in the polls, not that they don't badly need it following the recent swing to Leave, I hasten to add.

Edited by H-Block

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're delusional! I'll be honest, before the debate .

Stop reading here, it wasnt a debate, it wasnt even close to a debate. It was a q and a with a audience.

My mate text me whos undecided and text "very impressed with farage"

Edited by the_saurus

Last night when Andrew Neil persistently interrupted Hilary Benn you called it a "mauling", when your hero (second to Klitschko I assume) Farrage suffers the same you bleat about it. Surely what's good for the Goose is good for the Gander? :smile_anim:

Stop reading their, it wasnt a debate, it wasnt even close to a debate.

My mate text me whos undecided and text "very impressed with farage"

What more proof could we need that tonight was a (cough) resounding success for Leave...... :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley:

Stop reading here, it wasnt a debate, it wasnt even close to a debate. It was a q and a with a audience.

Debate, question and answer session, call it what you will. What you can't escape from, dear boy, is, to use your own language, Farrage got schooled tonight. Schooled by an educated audience and schooled in how to conduct oneself as a Statesman by Mr Cameron.

Last night when Andrew Neil persistently interrupted Hilary Benn you called it a "mauling", when your hero (second to Klitschko I assume) Farrage suffers the same you bleat about it. Surely what's good for the Goose is good for the Gander? :smile_anim:

Andrew neil is a awesome interviewer and will only interupt if you you waffle. When hilary benn waffled on about d day, he rightly interupted

Hilary benn admitted that he could not control immigration within the eu, also admitted maternity and leave pay is HIGHER in the uk than EU British law.

He also exposed how eu law, prevents any re nationlisation of the rail system.

Neil dissected notmonly the remain argument, which is zero, he destroyed the labour party and exposed that they will not win an election for a long long time.

Stop seething

Cameron had an easier ride from the audience than Farage.

It was definitely rigged, no one interrupted cameron, but pretty much everyone interrupted farage. Expected nothing less from itv.

Under the circumstances farage still got a positive message across and nailed the key points, immigration and migrant crisis.

No one landed a shot on him and the analysis on itv admitted that.

Tbh, this will have fuck all impact on the result as cameron wont dare debate anyone.

From the telegraph

David Cameron and Nigel Farage have just finished taking questions from members of the public.

Did Mr Cameron handle the public's questions more comfortably than last week, when the audience's hostility prompted us to write in our leader column that the Prime Minister was " facing a popular mutiny"?

Did Mr Farage, who was controversially selected to appear in this programme instead of a member of the Vote Leave campaign, succeed in hammering home his core message: that remaining in the EU leaves Britain unable to control its borders?

Here, our panel of columnists give their verdicts on how the two men performed.

James Kirkup: On a difficult night for the PM, Nigel Farage will go to bed with a grin on his face

David Cameron had a difficult night, repeatedly forced to talk about the issue he doesn’t want to dominate the referendum campaign: immigration. Several audience members politely dragged him away from his core message on the economy and into a debate that only reminds voters that EU membership means mass migration. For all his natural confidence, he was sometimes left looking defensive, justifying his own record and claims, and missing opportunities to attack the Leave campaign’s case.

Nigel Farage also had a tough time at the hands of a studio audience that was more liberal and metropolitan than those he’s used to addressing. Pressed on the pharmaceutical industry and alleged racism, he stumbled. But he'll he happier than Mr Cameron, because his real audience wasn’t in the studio, it was the Leave campaign’s loyal core voters watching at home. They would like his key messages on national pride, controlled immigration and the return of “British passports” rather better than the studio audience did.

Janet Daley: Nigel Farage showed the Leave campaign what they are missing

Nigel had to do two things. He had to show that he wasn't the unacceptable face of Leave - because Leave shouldn't have an unacceptable face. And he needed to provide some sort of answer to the "leap-into-the-unknown" merchants who are trying to scare the wits out of the electorate. So he had to establish that controlling immigration wasn't a euphemism for getting rid of foreigners.

He had the best possible argument against the charge of bigotry: that unlimited EU migration made it much harder for Commonwealth entrants. It's a theme that he needs to press harder. He argued, without losing his self-possession, that his remarks about the Cologne attacks on women had not been as inflammatory as they were reported. I think he defused that pretty successfully.

On the economic future, he was on more comfortable ground: the group think squad of experts now issuing warnings about Brexit were the very same who advocated membership of the ERM and the euro. The audience seemed to buy that - and I expect the folks at home did too. He got spontaneous applause when he laughed at the threats from the EU to wreak vengeance if we left. He just said, "We're better than that. We won't be bullied." It's a good line.

Juliet Samuel: David Cameron patronised the audience and had no answers to the immigration question

“Listen to the experts,” was the top line from David Cameron. True to his message, he couldn’t help but talk down to his audience, although he wasn’t quite as peevish as last week. His answers were interspersed with standard campaign boilerplate about how “I want to see more apprenticeships” and “an extra £12 billion in this Parliament towards the NHS”. He veered between artificial-sounding moments of “passion” and tangled explanations of how Europe works.

Overall, he lacked the smooth crispness of his previous performances. Why? He was pressed repeatedly on immigration, his most uncomfortable topic. He couldn’t give an answer on how he would control the numbers of European migrants coming to Britain within the EU because there is no answer. His favoured strategy – keep pushing the debate back to the single market and jobs – just didn’t stick. He briefly hit his stride at the end, criticising the “Nigel Farage little England option”, but it was a bit too little, too late.

Cameron pissed it , Farage is a fucking liabiilty to the out campaign. I bet a few who were thinking of voting out looked at Farage last night and said fuck that.

Cameron is a lying **** who is only in it for his unelected seat on the eu for life, along with all the other politicians who don't want to answer to a public vote and become career politicians. u turn after u turn,

by 2020 all eu members have to adopt the euro, democracy out the window and the puppet parliament will be answering to the self appointed mates in brussels

will the eu stop trading with the uk? will they fuck, Germanys biggest export is to the uk through the bias tariff system, Europe is currently the worlds second lowest continent for economy, only antartica is lower.

Switzerland and Norway are doing great, both gdp and average wages eclipse that of the uk even though we are a top 5 economy and industry world wide.

I must agree that I did find it odd that ITV refused to have someone from leave on

In my opinion it was their effort to demonise the leave campaign by getting Farage on to suggest that leave is in someway racist

Andrew neil is a awesome interviewer and will only interupt if you you waffle. When hilary benn waffled on about d day, he rightly interupted

Hilary benn admitted that he could not control immigration within the eu, also admitted maternity and leave pay is HIGHER in the uk than EU British law.

Stop seething

At some point in this country we seem to have lost the art of political interviewing, with a mindset prevailing that the interviewer somehow isn't earning their keep if they don't persistently interrupt the guest and make comments which belittle their view. The Benn interview was a sad example of that. Benn was using D-Day to make a very valid point, it was completely inappropriate and disrespectful for Neil to have interrupted him at that point but interrupt him he did. We need to get back to the mindset that challenging questions can be asked without behaving discourteously.

This may be where we've come and you may rightly say Benn should have been prepared for that. My point, however, is really aimed at you - you seem to think Neil interrupting Benn the other night was some sort of "mauling" but when the audience did the same to Farage last night you start bleating to the point where you've made a laughable claim about the debate being rigged. :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley: Can't take it being dished back at you, can you?

I'm sorry to say this but you're a complete joke.

It was definitely rigged, no one interrupted cameron, but pretty much everyone interrupted farage. Expected nothing less from itv.

Under the circumstances farage still got a positive message across and nailed the key points, immigration and migrant crisis.

No one landed a shot on him and the analysis on itv admitted that.

Tbh, this will have fuck all impact on the result as cameron wont dare debate anyone.

Do you realise what a fuckwit you sound like? Rigged? Certain people were saying that a few years back when Nick Griffin (then of the BNP) got the hammering on Question Time that he so very richly deserved. What is it about certain people to the right of politics that can't just hold their hands up and be gracious enough to admit that their man was bested on the day? Dear oh bloody dear, I suppose the Malaysian match fixers rigged it last night to affect the odds on the South East Asian betting market, did they? :laughingsmiley:

My dear boy, you claim no one landed a shot on your dear Farage - were you watching a completely different programme? Farage was taken apart within minutes by some bloke who works in Pharmaceuticals and later on by the chap who worked in credit card fraud. Both exposed flaws in the Leave argument and really made Farage look silly.

And if you think Farage's message is "positive" I can only politely suggest you purchase a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word.

I'm neither a Tory or a Cameron fan, but by contrast he dealt with the questions in a more composed manner and gave more credible answers. I don't agree with everything he said, but he came out on top last night.

Quotes from the Spectator, to counter those posted by Sauurs:

"Lara Prendergast Was that almost a ‘calm down dear’ from Farage? It sounded like it. Not a great turn of phrase, especially when the conversation has turned to sexual assault. He seems to have brought his aggressive game this evening, and isn’t exactly responding to the questions – shouting over people in a rather unedifying way."

"Isabel Hardman Nigel Farage is coming across as rather brisk in this Q&A so far. That’s just his style. It worked in the European elections when he was head-to-head with Nick Clegg, but in this referendum Leave needs to convince swing voters, rather than just boost support amongst people who already agree with a party that they want to support as a protest vote. Does a brisk, grumpy style work with those swing voters? Or have they already made up their minds on Farage anyway? In his response to the question about sexual assault, the Ukip leader turned on the young woman asking it, telling her to calm down, before accusing the Archbishop of Canterbury of not reading his piece warning that staying in the EU could put women at greater risk of sexual assault. He is not taking a consensual approach on this."

"James Forsyth David Cameron looked pretty happy at the end of that. He got his choice of opponent in this debate and did everything he could to take advantage of that, mentioning Farage at every opportunity. Cameron also benefited from going second, another thing which he got his way on, as he could rebut Farage’s points without any opportunity for Farage to reply. But Cameron also gained from engaging more with the audience than Farage did and not being as tetchy, even laughing when asked if he was finished whatever the result of this referendum."

Cameron pissed it , Farage is a fucking liabiilty to the out campaign. I bet a few who were thinking of voting out looked at Farage last night and said fuck that.

Spot on. Farage is a very acquired taste and no fucker except his UKIP followers actually like him. He's an utter liability to the leave campaign and they must have had their head in their hands throughout.

Do you realise what a fuckwit you sound like? Rigged? Certain people were saying that a few years back when Nick Griffin (then of the BNP) got the hammering on Question Time that he so very richly deserved. What is it about certain people to the right of politics that can't just hold their hands up and be gracious enough to admit that their man was bested on the day? Dear oh bloody dear, I suppose the Malaysian match fixers rigged it last night to affect the odds on the South East Asian betting market, did they? :laughingsmiley:

My dear boy, you claim no one landed a shot on your dear Farage - were you watching a completely different programme? Farage was taken apart within minutes by some bloke who works in Pharmaceuticals and later on by the chap who worked in credit card fraud. Both exposed flaws in the Leave argument and really made Farage look silly.

And if you think Farage's message is "positive" I can only politely suggest you purchase a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word.

I'm neither a Tory or a Cameron fan, but by contrast he dealt with the questions in a more composed manner and gave more credible answers. I don't agree with everything he said, but he came out on top last night.

BBC are biased, ITV are biased. It's all rigged. Can you imagine if the vote is remain? They'll be frothing at the mouth screaming fix. They'll undoubtedly take the result ungraciously, no doubt pushing for another referendum within a couple of years like the Scottish nationalist cunts.