Sign in to follow this  
bestwood_red!

Rafa Benitez

Am I the only person who thinks he is massively overrated? He did well with Valencia before Liverpool, won the Champions League with Liverpool in his first season but none of the players were his and he effectively threw the league to win it, then sold nearly the whole team who did win it and apart from an FA Cup win never got close to anything again despite having probably the worlds best striker at the time. He then went on to the triple winners Inter Milan and completely desimated them, managed Chelsea for half a season and fair play won the Europa League, again with someone elses team, and went to Napoli and took them from top three to midtable. Somehow after a decade of mediocrity and taking teams backwards he gets the Real Madird job and manages to get them to fourth in a two horse race.

Now pundits and fans alike are saying Newcastle will definitely stay up with him in charge, are they mad? The man has no stomach for a fight and when things get tough he loses his cool, look how Fergie used to always stitch him up with ease.

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks he's really not that good?

He's one of those guys who has a big success early in their career and lives of that for decades drifting from one big club to the next so his standing in the game is a lot higher than his reputation deserves. I don't know why he was so popular with Liverpool fans, he constantly underachieved in the league and basically gave up on winning the title every season to focus on the Champions League. He'd have really annoyed me if I were a Liverpool fan with his constant buying and selling of players without ever making the team any better and dicking about with the side every week leaving out quality players to give game time to some absolute donkeys.

On the plus side he always had them competitive in Europe, although I expect Chelsea and Man United would have done better if they'd put the reserves out in half their league games, and he can organise a defence. I don't think he's a great appointment for Newcastle but he's got more chance of keeping them up than McClaren.

He's one of those guys who has a big success early in their career and lives of that for decades drifting from one big club to the next so his standing in the game is a lot higher than his reputation deserves. I don't know why he was so popular with Liverpool fans, he constantly underachieved in the league and basically gave up on winning the title every season to focus on the Champions League. He'd have really annoyed me if I were a Liverpool fan with his constant buying and selling of players without ever making the team any better and dicking about with the side every week leaving out quality players to give game time to some absolute donkeys.

On the plus side he always had them competitive in Europe, although I expect Chelsea and Man United would have done better if they'd put the reserves out in half their league games, and he can organise a defence. I don't think he's a great appointment for Newcastle but he's got more chance of keeping them up than McClaren.

The throwing the league away thing is what annoys me. He'd drop half his team every Saturday for a home game on the wednesday. As you said United, Arsenal etc would have done better in Europe had their only aim been to finish fourth in the league. I think Moyes would have been a much better appointment Newcastle United.

Maybe. I'd have gone for Pearson, at least he could get them fired up for a few games and have a go rather than just grinding out clean sheets and hoping to bore their way to safety like Benitez or Moyes will. Plus he's a nutter so will cope well at a real mess of a club like Newcastle. Their fans would never take to Moyes as his football's so dull he could end up on a Forest manager shortlist. If he got really desperate.

i hope they get relegated. I don't like Sunderland either but it would be so much funnier if Newcastle went down. I wonder if their fans will be updating their Pardew Out website with the news he's taking his new club to Wembley while they head for the Championship.....