Photo

Eu poll in or out

Lets see.

• Please log in to reply
447 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you want to stay in the eu or leave the eu (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Stay or go, you decide

1. Stay (14 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

2. Leave (19 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Undecided (5 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#441 Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick

Forest Legend

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

That's because the "divorce" cost is a political and not legal mechanism. There is nothing in the EU treaties that states a withdrawing member state pays, article 50 merely states we withdraw. Legally, we owe nothing. Politically, we made commitments to the EU budget and the EU is going to have a black hole in its budget without the UK contributions. It is, in effect a payment/bribe (see also: Theresa May and the DUP) for access to the single market.

If you sign up to a contract you generally have to honour it.  You have no choice but to honour your commitments if you're wanting something out of the other party after you've got out of the contract. 

#442 leather

leather

Fringe Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

If you sign up to a contract you generally have to honour it.  You have no choice but to honour your commitments if you're wanting something out of the other party after you've got out of the contract.

Added to which, this is where some of Britain's soft power comes from - the general notion that we are a nation that honours its agreements. It makes us a place that other countries understand that we're a fairly reliable country to do business with. It doesn't quite make sense therefore to try and squirm out what we owe (although I reckon in part that's down to this bunch not having the brains to handle this process) at the same time as bragging we're wanting to do deals with the rest of the world.

Edited by leather, 04 November 2017 - 09:01 AM.

#443 Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Substitute

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

If you sign up to a contract you generally have to honour it. 

That depends upon the terms of the contract.

#444 the_saurus

the_saurus

Fringe Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, that was a good one!

A statement so ridiculous you don't laugh at it with your mouth, you laugh at it with your arse.

Universal credit has been a success, work force participation rate at record highs, compared to USA'S record lows thanks to Obamas Food stamp nation.

Mr Smith is bang on, when campaigning, not once was a Divorce payment mentioned, not one. Not from any of the Project fear lot, there is no legal obligation to pay them anything.

Also what about the EU'S books, they have not been properly Audited since time began, for all i know they owe us, and since we are one of the five few Net contributors to that dreadful superstate, then owing us would not surprise me.

Posted Image

#445 Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Substitute

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

Universal credit has been a success, work force participation rate at record highs, compared to USA'S record lows thanks to Obamas Food stamp nation.

When you get a job, I am sure others might also consider Universal Credit a success.

I was a begrudging remainder and believed the EU needed reform, but that the only thing worse than the EU would be leaving. However, if there were a second referendum I would vote to leave.

Since we voted for Brexit, the EU has shown itself at its worse and is pushing ahead with more Europe, in spite of Le Penn reaching the second round of the French elections, Germany having the far right in Parliament and Austria looking to have them in government. The unelected Eurocrats have an absolute contempt for democracy and it will be the death of the EU. They did not listen to Cameron when he said the EU needs reform, they have not listened because of Brexit and they are not listening to their own people.

The EU has forgotten what a sovereign nation is and the fact they want the UK to pay into the club without offering any hint at a trade deal, want the European Court of Justice to have jurisdiction over the UK, are trying to carve up the City of London, are stating they want Northern Ireland to remain with the customs union otherwise there will be a border with Ireland, while also telling us that UK cannot use our defence and security as a negotiating tool, is disgraceful.

There are many advantages to being in the EU, however, the lack of democratic legitimacy is too great and the amount of leverage the EU has in these negotiations shows it has grown too far beyond its original purpose as a trade organisation and is now on the brink of statehood itself.

Rant over.

#446 colin

colin

Forest Legend

• Root Admin
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

Compietely agree with the above post .. :smile_anim:

There is a forgotten , nay almost forbidden word , which means more to me than any other . That word is ENGLAND

Sir Winston Churchill .

#447 the_saurus

the_saurus

Fringe Player

• Subscribers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

When you get a job, I am sure others might also consider Universal Credit a success.

I was a begrudging remainder and believed the EU needed reform, but that the only thing worse than the EU would be leaving. However, if there were a second referendum I would vote to leave.

Since we voted for Brexit, the EU has shown itself at its worse and is pushing ahead with more Europe, in spite of Le Penn reaching the second round of the French elections, Germany having the far right in Parliament and Austria looking to have them in government. The unelected Eurocrats have an absolute contempt for democracy and it will be the death of the EU. They did not listen to Cameron when he said the EU needs reform, they have not listened because of Brexit and they are not listening to their own people.

The EU has forgotten what a sovereign nation is and the fact they want the UK to pay into the club without offering any hint at a trade deal, want the European Court of Justice to have jurisdiction over the UK, are trying to carve up the City of London, are stating they want Northern Ireland to remain with the customs union otherwise there will be a border with Ireland, while also telling us that UK cannot use our defence and security as a negotiating tool, is disgraceful.

There are many advantages to being in the EU, however, the lack of democratic legitimacy is too great and the amount of leverage the EU has in these negotiations shows it has grown too far beyond its original purpose as a trade organisation and is now on the brink of statehood itself.

Rant over.

Despite the personal dig, lovely stuff....
Posted Image

#448 E R

E R

The Greatest President in history

• Subscribers
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

Yep agree totally - people like Juncker make me more resilient than ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users